Facebook testing Ads in VR Oculus apps and Games

The ads I have seen on facebook are all crypto scams, whey protein, and fake beauty products. Only one of those three have I ever actually spent money on. So much for targeted advertising.

Lol, VR is all about immersion. If you suddenly have ads in there then you killed the only thing VR has going for it.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I can just say this will never ever affect me. Fecesbook lol, who even still uses this?

4 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Fecesbook lol, who even still uses this?

People with an Oculus apparently ...

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

This thread reminds me of an old not very popular movie called “idiocracy” where everything was ad coated including clothing.

That movie feels more and more relevant. Some say it's an accurate prediction and can somewhat see why. Can't wait to see "Ow my balls!" in 8K.

I mean, if you know tech and still use anything Facebook it's on you. They are trash. Stay away from it. 

How I am not surprised. 🤦‍♂️

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

If there's a product/service that you want to use.... you can guarantee that Facebook is trying to get ads into it, or you data out of it 😛

Where the oculus défense squad at ?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

6 hours ago, TOMPPIX said:

who is gonna tell him?

That it wasn’t old or that it wasn’t not very popular or something else?  Rupert Murdoch promoted it which almost assures that it was evil in some way. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

We all knew it was coming, just that it still hurts when it did come. RIP VR on Oculus.

I feel bad for anyone unfortunate enough to have purchased any Oculus device before Facebook bought them.

Well if someone dumb enough to buy anything from facebook/ company ownedby facebook  they kinde deserve to be screwed over...

Never mind. Guess I'm not getting on Oculus.

I enjoy playing Beat Saber when I use it at my grandma's house but since it requires you to have a Facebook account I'm mostly out, and the ads thing is just the extra weight the seesaw needs to throw me off of the Oculus train.

Plus there's no easy way to transfer things to your headset yet. Once there's a way to use your computer with the VR headset I'll be happy since I can transfer video files, Beat Saber songs, etc. easily I'll be happy but until then VR is something for a later date.

Below is stuff about Ready Player One. In spoiler to not take up space. 

Spoiler
On 6/16/2021 at 4:40 PM, GhostRoadieBL said:

When do you think Facebook is going to change it's name to IOI? The advertising department probably watched ready player one and mixed up who the bad guys were.

Wait, you watched the movie?
Please tell me you read the book. The movie sucks.

On 6/16/2021 at 5:27 PM, GhostRoadieBL said:

The books were much better, do you really think an advertising agency employee can read based on how their ads end up?

You read the book, thank you 🙂
The book is quite good.

I found it on a bathroom floor and started reading it. Ended up finishing it that night and then was sad it didn't have sequels (until Ready Player Two came out).

Side note,  @GhostRoadieBL and @HelpfulTechWizard what did you think of Ready Player Two (if you've read it)?

SPOILERS AHEAD

Spoiler

It was alright. I liked the idea of the Seven Shards quest but I kinda missed the periods of waiting in the other book. With this one you just had to keep going or die. Plus the Rod of Resurrection is a cool idea, especially given the way the ONI records your brain so you have a backup of sorts.
The books tying back to D&D is fun, even though I've never played.

Half a review because brain tired, long day camping, tomorrow is shopping.

elephants

7 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Never mind. Guess I'm not getting on Oculus.

I enjoy playing Beat Saber when I use it at my grandma's house but since it requires you to have a Facebook account I'm mostly out, and the ads thing is just the extra weight the seesaw needs to throw me off of the Oculus train.

Plus there's no easy way to transfer things to your headset yet. Once there's a way to use your computer with the VR headset I'll be happy since I can transfer video files, Beat Saber songs, etc. easily I'll be happy but until then VR is something for a later date.

Below is stuff about Ready Player One. In spoiler to not take up space. 

Hide contents

Wait, you watched the movie?
Please tell me you read the book. The movie sucks.

You read the book, thank you 🙂
The book is quite good.

I found it on a bathroom floor and started reading it. Ended up finishing it that night and then was sad it didn't have sequels (until Ready Player Two came out).

Side note,  @GhostRoadieBL and @HelpfulTechWizard what did you think of Ready Player Two (if you've read it)?

SPOILERS AHEAD

Reveal hidden contents

It was alright. I liked the idea of the Seven Shards quest but I kinda missed the periods of waiting in the other book. With this one you just had to keep going or die. Plus the Rod of Resurrection is a cool idea, especially given the way the ONI records your brain so you have a backup of sorts.
The books tying back to D&D is fun, even though I've never played.

Half a review because brain tired, long day camping, tomorrow is shopping.

Id still get one now as apposed to waiting. You'd never know the security stuff to root a quest in the current  hw versions.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

If only someone would have warned us about facebook being evil and not to be trusted. 

If only we did not see this coming when FB account suddenly became required despite previous promises that it would never happen..

tumblr_mb0sxzwPtw1rne593o2_250.gifv

On 6/17/2021 at 6:51 AM, RejZoR said:

I can just say this will never ever affect me. Fecesbook lol, who even still uses this?

It’s kinda a requirement to use Oculus headsets. That’s why I refuse to buy one. My buddy is telling me how great VR is on his Oculus headset, but when I look at the alternates they are more expensive then I want to spend. So no VR for me. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

23 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

That it wasn’t old or that it wasn’t not very popular or something else?  Rupert Murdoch promoted it which almost assures that it was evil in some way. 

Most clothing does have branding on it so you could consider that an advertisement. That's what they've meant, I think.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

13 hours ago, Furiku said:

If only someone would have warned us about facebook being evil and not to be trusted. 

If only we did not see this coming when FB account suddenly became required despite previous promises that it would never happen..

If only we didn't see this coming up after Facebook bought Oculus.

If only we didn't see this coming when the founder of the Oculus started to fund a project to make every Oculus exclusive game playable with other headsets with Facebook money he got from selling Oculus.

If only someone was a wise enough to notice that Oculus is only a sticker anymore (for real, there is no VR company named "Oculus" anymore, there isn't even a team within Facebook named "Oculus" anymore, there is only Oculus sticker to hide Facebook Reality Labs).

And even that sticker doesn't say "Oculus". It says "Oculus from Facebook".

Like literally, how fu...nking big letters must it be written that it isn't "Oculus Quest" it is "FACEBOOK Oculus Quest"? And by this far into anno Domini 2021 everyone already knows the company called "Facebook". That same Facebook which gets its bread and butter from data hoarding, personal data hoarding, and personalized advertising. Not selling some fancy headsets that definedly doesn't spy their users or turn out to be just another pipeline to feed ads to people. That one little company called "Facebook" that never even had a unwritten part in anything saying "Don't be evil" and they didn't even try to follow anything like that, ever.

12755052.jpg

facebook will also help sell your house by the 3D rendering it has done while you used VR cameras and tracking in your house.

6 hours ago, Donut417 said:

It’s kinda a requirement to use Oculus headsets. That’s why I refuse to buy one. My buddy is telling me how great VR is on his Oculus headset, but when I look at the alternates they are more expensive then I want to spend. So no VR for me. 

I'm avoiding everything Facebook like a plague. Their VR's included. VR's are stupid anyway in general.

On 6/16/2021 at 5:29 PM, HelpfulTechWizard said:

There could be a legitimate legal issue with this depending on what the tos says

I guarantee a company as large as Facebook paid a legal team to make sure the TOS let them do this down the line. 

On 6/16/2021 at 6:13 PM, Vishera said:

You can't put ads on stuff people pay for...

Sadly you can. Even as simple a concept as product branding. When you buy a coke bottle, it's physically yours, but that label with the big coke label is technically an ad for the brand. On a less conceptual side, there's some companies that when you buy a product it comes with a coupon/ad for some wine service, or a little ad for moms going back to school for medical billing, etc. 

On 6/16/2021 at 8:28 PM, TetraSky said:

Depends how and where the ads are.

If it's just Oculus apps, then great! I don't use any of them. They all suck ass anyway.

If it's showing you random ads while you're playing a game or using a third party software, or even on the "home screen", that's a different story.

So for me this depends on how intrusive the location is. I mean ofc less ads is better overall, but honestly I've grown to ignore most ads as long as it doesn't interfere with the actual content. So if they put ads on the home environment thing, idgaf, cuz i never use that, I open games directly and never use that aspect. If they are putting add on surfaces in the environments like @GhostRoadieBL says, that I could ignore as well, but i'd have more issue as that affects the visuals and therefore the immersiveness of the actual game.

On 6/16/2021 at 9:40 PM, StDragon said:

Tracking is improving to reduce the drunken vertigo feeling. And refresh rates should improve to also extend playtime without headaches.

So, would I purchase VR? Maybe. If the tech improves while the price drops, I could see myself getting into it with Microsoft Flight Simulator or something similar. Though I prefer there still be a slit at the bottom so I can still glance at my hands and desk. I say that because I have no intention of getting out of my seat as I use a HOTAS joystick with keyboard.

So a niche market at best, but I still think VR can offer one helluva ride for being niche! 🙂

It's definitely here to stay, it has a long way to mature, but it's gotten to a point where it's mostly not a problem at all. At this point I struggle to call it niche honestly

On 6/16/2021 at 9:50 PM, Kisai said:

As someone who gets motion sickness, even from watching people's VR streams, I can easily say that VR tech is not for me, and while I might consider something if it gets to the point that it doesn't cause motion sickness at all, but current HMD's are just trying to be too cheap rather than the necessary over-engineering for it. So I haven't been impressed with what's come out yet, at least not the HMD's. The trackers though I'm getting a lot of suggestions that the trackers/controllers aren't super great either. Basically it's a battery-charging hell.

I actually get motion sickness and I use the rift S without any nausea at all. Your mileage may vary, but I have no issue with that aspect. the battery issue for the controllers is a pain though. I have rechargeables so it's not a gigantic issue, but it still should be a chargeable battery with a cord from the start

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

42 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

I guarantee a company as large as Facebook paid a legal team to make sure the TOS let them do this down the line. 

Sadly you can. Even as simple a concept as product branding. When you buy a coke bottle, it's physically yours, but that label with the big coke label is technically an ad for the brand. On a less conceptual side, there's some companies that when you buy a product it comes with a coupon/ad for some wine service, or a little ad for moms going back to school for medical billing, etc. 

So for me this depends on how intrusive the location is. I mean ofc less ads is better overall, but honestly I've grown to ignore most ads as long as it doesn't interfere with the actual content. So if they put ads on the home environment thing, idgaf, cuz i never use that, I open games directly and never use that aspect. If they are putting add on surfaces in the environments like @GhostRoadieBL says, that I could ignore as well, but i'd have more issue as that affects the visuals and therefore the immersiveness of the actual game.

It's definitely here to stay, it has a long way to mature, but it's gotten to a point where it's mostly not a problem at all. At this point I struggle to call it niche honestly

I actually get motion sickness and I use the rift S without any nausea at all. Your mileage may vary, but I have no issue with that aspect. the battery issue for the controllers is a pain though. I have rechargeables so it's not a gigantic issue, but it still should be a chargeable battery with a cord from the start

Such companies also generally force TOS changes for such things.  It seems to be more or less “we’re changing our TOS to something you never would have agreed to but now that you did AMD let the system you were using drop you’re dependent, so put up and shut up”. That it doesn’t agree with a previous TOS almost goes without saying.  TOS is a very malible thing though.  It’s a very old phenomena that seems to be exceptionally effective with software.  It was called “turning the screws”

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.