Is 500Watts enough for this pre-assembled computer?

jippa_lippa

I know...purchasing a pre-made computer is not ideal in normal circumstances, but we're not in normal circumstances these days and I recently eyed a decent HP pre-made computer in a store near me.

The computer has only a 20% increase in price compared to the components added ne by one, and for the tragic situation we're in, it's not bad.

This machine has such features:

• Intel Core i7-11700 (not the K version)
  • 32 GB DDR4-2933 MHz RAM (2 x 16 GB)
  • 1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
  • NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3060 Ti (8 GB GDDR6 dedicated)
  • DVD Reader
  • 500W Power Supply

I'm a bit concerned about the power supply situation though...
I'd use the thread opened on this forum to calculate the wattage, but it seems to be stuck at the 10th generation.

If I had to make a computer on my own I'd use a 600watt supply (as recommended also for the 3060TI), but I don't see why they'd put an inadequate power supply inside the computer.
In the absolute worst case scenario I can replace the power supply, but do you think 500 watt is enough for the configuration?

With regards to buying a pre-made computer, the situation in my country seems to be even more tragic than in North America.
I preordered my GPU (3060TI) a minute after launch and after 8 months I still can't get it and I'll have to wait at least 3 more months, meanwhile I'm afraid the rest of the components would become much more expensive and hard to find.

Thanks for the help.

9 minutes ago, jippa_lippa said:

I don't see why they'd put an inadequate power supply inside the computer.

You mean besides to make more money? 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

3 minutes ago, Middcore said:

You mean besides to make more money? 

Well...yes.
But I'd at least put in the bare minimum.

Isn't 650W the bare minimum for my configuration?

500w supply if it is actually 500w should be fine.

The 3060ti is a 200w card, and the 11700 won't pull more than 200w at full load (probably), less if it follows intel power limit spec. That leaves 100w presuming it's rated appropriately for everything else.

The 11700K pulls 273 total system power (no GPU) and that's with higher TDP (spec). 

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/intel-core-i7-11700kf-processor-review,5.html

But it's all presuming it's a decent 500w unit. I'd get a decent 750w unit myself and then not worry about it at all.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

2 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

500w supply if it is actually 500w should be fine.

The 3060ti is a 200w card, and the 11700 won't pull more than 200w at full load (probably), less if it follows intel power limit spec. That leaves 100w presuming it's rated appropriately for everything else.

The 11700K pulls 273 total system power (no GPU) and that's with higher TDP (spec). 

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/intel-core-i7-11700kf-processor-review,5.html

But it's all presuming it's a decent 500w unit. I'd get a decent 750w unit myself and then not worry about it at all.

I think the 500W would be well out of its efficiency sweet spot though.

What I would do is buy the system, swap out the 500W PSU for a 600W or higher unit you know is reputable, and unless you really need the 32GB of RAM, sell it also and replace with 2x8GB sticks to help offset the cost of the new PSU. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Just now, Middcore said:

What I would do is buy the system, swap out the 500W PSU for a 600W or higher unit you know is reputable, and unless you really need the 32GB of RAM, sell it also and replace with 2x8GB sticks to help offset the cost of the new PSU. 

I think 2x16 is worth it if they are dual rank. There's a small bump there in performance. Go into BIOS and make sure it's set to Gear 1 also.

Honestly I'd just get a better PSU for insurance and then go in there and possibly upgrade the CPU cooler, and then do a better job of cable management that I'm sure is nonexistent. Maybe add a 120mm fan or two in the right spots.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

9 minutes ago, Middcore said:

I honestly thought of that, but I'm afraid I'd void the warranty.

I also think I could get the original power supply in in the case (god forbid) that I'd need to send it back.

500w is enough. In prebuilds the cpu works within the Intel specs and will not succeed 105w.

GPUs in prebuilds have lower tdp and consumes less than branded GPUs

What prebuild is it exactly? Most prebuilds use a 12v only PSU with 12vSB. You can't replace it for a regular ATX specificated PSU.