How would this happen?

shaz2sxy

So have been issued with my PC, restarting when gaming. 

Noticed psu cable wasn't in 100%

Took it out to set it like this

What would cause this

PSU - nzxt h1 650w gold. 

Cable is 2x 8 in pin to 12 pin nvidia? 

The cable is from seasonic but the pin outs match

IMG-20210616-WA0001.jpeg

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

3 minutes ago, shaz2sxy said:

Noticed psu cable wasn't in 100%

If there was an air gap causing the current to arc, the exposed electricity could have caused burning.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

26 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Are those two pins pushed back into the housing?

The surround is melted and pind discoloured 

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

3 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

If there was an air gap causing the current to arc, the exposed electricity could have caused burning.

very odd, as its been working fine for months.

luckily nothing else broken

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

18 minutes ago, shaz2sxy said:

very odd, as its been working fine for months.

Well, yeah.  Stuff like this doesn't happen instantly.  It takes a number of heat cycles.

31 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Well, yeah.  Stuff like this doesn't happen instantly.  It takes a number of heat cycles.

yeah it makes sense 🙂

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

Poor connection. You mentioned it wasn't plugged in all the way, that's likely the culprit. Not being fully seated probably resulted in a relatively high contact resistance. Since these are carrying quite a bit of current, the I^2R heating was obviously enough to permanently damage the connector. 

Why the restarts? Above a certain load current, the voltage will fall below the minimum required by the power converters on whatever this is powering (GPU??).  This is basic ohm's law.

I doubt there was much, if any, arcing taking place for a few reasons. First, it's pretty low voltage. Second, it would likely make the system incredibly unstable, the the point of it being nearly unusable.

Check the mating connectors. I can almost promise that they're damaged / destroyed. You may find them rather difficult to desolder, since most of these boards have more than 2 layers, so the ground connections may have a lot of thermal mass.