Hi, my current system is:

CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K
Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S
MotherBoard: Asus X99-A
Ram: HyperX Savage Black 2×8 DDR4 2800MHZ
GPU: EVGA GTX980 superclocked ACX 2.0 4GB GDDR5
PSU: SeaSonic G-750 750W Gold
SSD: HyperX 240 GB

Ive been having trouble with this pc alot especially the motherboard and ram. It is slow and doesnt run modern games very well, and I am aware of the chip shortage problem we're in. I can overlook getting a gpu right now because I dont wanna pay lots of money for a single gpu. But if I want to change cpu and motherboard, maybe ram, what would you recommend? I can get the 5900 Ryzen 9 for a good price, I dont know what motherboard to get though.

Or maybe do you think I just should wait for the new hardware to come (the new amd cpu's etc..) Any advise would help, sound off your thoughts.

Thank you

Check out the mobo tier list and pick one of the B550 you're comfortable with and in budget. I'd recommend picking one Tier B+ if you are not gonna OC or A+ if you're gonna try overclocking. The S and S+ tiers are really robust, but really expensive and unless you're gonna do hardcore OC or need the features explicitly, you will be fine without them.
Same thing for X570, unless you need the features, theres no reason to go with it over B550.
Regarding RAM, i personally just go with whatever is cheapest for a given clock and latency. I'd recommend grabbing 3200CL16 MINIMUM ram. If you wanna splurge 3600CL16 is great.

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

5 hours ago, Xaring said:

Check out the mobo tier list and pick one of the B550 you're comfortable with and in budget. I'd recommend picking one Tier B+ if you are not gonna OC or A+ if you're gonna try overclocking. The S and S+ tiers are really robust, but really expensive and unless you're gonna do hardcore OC or need the features explicitly, you will be fine without them.
Same thing for X570, unless you need the features, theres no reason to go with it over B550.
Regarding RAM, i personally just go with whatever is cheapest for a given clock and latency. I'd recommend grabbing 3200CL16 MINIMUM ram. If you wanna splurge 3600CL16 is great.

I agree, B550 is the way to go, they are newer than x570 and have the better design and more kinks ironed out. A decent B550 board is the way to go unless you need the x570 pcie layout.

For ram with Zen3 IMO I'd really consider 3600cl16 on a Ryzen 9. It is a bit more expensive, but compared to the total build cost I'd recommend it. If you decide to get even more expensive ram (IMO not really worth it), still get 3600MTs just with lower timings. Past that is no guarantee it'll work, so you'd have to manually adjust things anyhow, might as well get a working XMP profile for convenience and manually adjust when you want to.

As for waiting, If it were really close to a launch, waiting can make sense, but Zen3 is still really new IMO. Especially if your current PC is having issues, if it was doing what you need to fine, then waiting is a great option.

If your comfortable with ebay, because of mining x99 motherboards have gone up quite a bit. You could probably get at least what your new board cost 🤣 Assuming its working and your issues are just that its slow

The 5900x will blow your socks off. It'll feel smoother even doing basic stuff. Great choice coming from an x99 platform IMO

Thanks you so much for the help