No picture on second monitor (only on one computer)

I've had an Acer AL1916 monitor for a while but never used it, so I decided to use it as a second monitor. Bought an HDMI-to-VGA adapter, connected it, and no picture (monitor is detected, shows up correctly in screenshots (you can see attachment) but black screen). I can confirm the adapter works, as I tried on 2 other laptops (one on Win7 and one on Win10 1803) and it works perfectly there, therefore I think the problem is either my GPU or something else in my computer. I already clean-reinstalled GPU driver, no difference. Now, I'm going to try reinstalling windows and see if that makes a difference

If you've got any ideas for a solution, please share.

GPU: Geforce GTX 1660 Super (Gigabyte Gaming OC 3-fan version)

forumltt.png

Does the monitor say no signal?  What happens when you press buttons for on screen display, does the OSD show up over black image? 

Make sure the hdmi-vga adapter outputs a reasonable refresh rate like 60-75 Hz .. leave it on 60 Hz as hdmi does 60. Try to keep the resolution at 1920x1080 or 1920x1200...

2 hours ago, mariushm said:

Does the monitor say no signal?  What happens when you press buttons for on screen display, does the OSD show up over black image? 

Make sure the hdmi-vga adapter outputs a reasonable refresh rate like 60-75 Hz .. leave it on 60 Hz as hdmi does 60. Try to keep the resolution at 1920x1080 or 1920x1200...

Monitor goes from a green light on the power button (so connected) with a black screen to no signal and back and forth. The OSD does not show up at all in either state. The resolution and refresh rate have been set to 1280x1024 (max monitor res but i have tried lower too) @ 60hz.

Did you extend the desktop to the additional monitor (graphics settings)?

20 minutes ago, ndesign.ie said:

Did you extend the desktop to the additional monitor (graphics settings)?

Yes, I did. As I said and you can see in the attachment, it renders it in screenshots, but I don't get a video signal.