GPU Stuck At 139MHz

Hey Guys, 
I have a GTX 1050 Mobile with for some reason for the past 1 week has been continuously stuck at 139MHz forever, Even while gaming or idle. I've run a resource monitor and i also found that suddenly there are spikes where the GPU temperature and frequency drop to 0 for a quick second and goes back up.Ive been using this laptop for 18months and have never faced this problem before and there have been times when the temps were high but the gpu was managing. I've been thinking if its a problem with the drivers or do I need to like change the Thermal Paste?

Screenshot (378).png

Here, the stats after playing valorant for 5-10mins(Basically 1 Spike Rush) at its locked at 139MHz

Screenshot (379).png

Have you tried changing thermals in past 18 month?

#Murica(butinternational)parrotgang

1 minute ago, Alexsheff93 said:

Have you tried changing thermals in past 18 month?

Thermals as in Thermal Paste. No, I'm still using the stock paste given by the manufacturer.

3 minutes ago, HyperPalBuddy said:

Thermals as in Thermal Paste. No, I'm still using the stock paste given by the manufacturer.

Deffinatly change the paste on there bro, and if its not thermal issues atleast it has a fresh bit of paste on there, but considering in 18 month theyve not been changed i'd put it down to that.

1 minute ago, Alexsheff93 said:

Deffinatly change the paste on there bro

Ok, Will try to do it then.

3 minutes ago, HyperPalBuddy said:

Ok, Will try to do it then.

Atleast with the paste changed it'll narrow it down if that doesn't fix it, Just looking at idle temps of the GPU is a bit alarming 

10 minutes ago, Alexsheff93 said:

Atleast with the paste changed it'll narrow it down if that doesn't fix it, Just looking at idle temps of the GPU is a bit alarming 

Wait, is 60 degrees idle bad for a laptop??
Also Is it better to go for Kyronaut or MX-4 

6 minutes ago, HyperPalBuddy said:

Wait, is 60 degrees idle bad for a laptop??
Also Is it better to go for Kyronaut or MX-4 

yeah 60-70 is okayish however people buy them fan coolers you pop under laptop to game heavy loads

3 minutes ago, Alexsheff93 said:

yeah 60-70 is okayish however people buy them fan coolers you pop under laptop to game heavy loads

Yeah, I'm planning to buy one of the cooler fans, I might have to wait for a few weeks before i could buy one though. I blew my money on an SSD for an upgrade.

5 minutes ago, HyperPalBuddy said:

Yeah, I'm planning to buy one of the cooler fans, I might have to wait for a few weeks before i could buy one though. I blew my money on an SSD for an upgrade.

Have a look at this https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Massive-Notebook-Cooling-CL-N014-PL20SW/dp/B077974X66 might be what your after.

3 minutes ago, Alexsheff93 said:

This unavailable to my location(India). I've been eyeing on this, what do u think of it.https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B082FTPRSK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A14CZOWI0VEHLG&psc=1

Edit- I found The Thermaltake Cooling Pad, but its 13x the cost compared to the one I kept.

12 minutes ago, HyperPalBuddy said:

This unavailable to my location(India). I've been eyeing on this, what do u think of it.https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B082FTPRSK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A14CZOWI0VEHLG&psc=1

Edit- I found The Thermaltake Cooling Pad, but its 13x the cost compared to the one I kept.

TBH i never really looked into the cooling mats, i just know they help and the one i linked i saw on Jarrard's tech channel, and just looks astatically pleasing and its a reputable brand.

11 minutes ago, Alexsheff93 said:

TBH i never really looked into the cooling mats, i just know they help and the one i linked i saw on Jarrard's tech channel, and just looks astatically pleasing and its a reputable brand.

Ok, Thanks for your time😁😁

Thermals and cooling can not possibly be the reason here. Those things will let it throttle earlier, but they will NEVER "lock" the GPU to it's lowest idle Power-state, unless the Chip is like 100°C+ at all times. Which is not.

Something is preventing it to change Powerstates, so probably there's a buggy Software running.

Try closing every single Software, that has anything to do with the GPU (this Asus Armory Crate, MSI Afterburner, Nvidia Inspector, etc), except the Driver.

Then try a Game, you will notice the performance difference, if the Problem is gone.

19 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

Thermals and cooling can not possibly be the reason here. Those things will let it throttle earlier, but they will NEVER "lock" the GPU to it's lowest idle Power-state, unless the Chip is like 100°C+ at all times. Which is not.

Something is preventing it to change Powerstates, so probably there's a buggy Software running.

Try closing every single Software, that has anything to do with the GPU (this Asus Armory Crate, MSI Afterburner, Nvidia Inspector, etc), except the Driver.

Then try a Game, you will notice the performance difference, if the Problem is gone.

Could this be a potential issue, not disabling onboard graphics to allow the dedicated graphics to take over, also if he's updated drivers of the GPU it could potentially be a driver update causing the issue.

19 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

I expected that to be the problem, so that's why I decided to just fresh install windows again, and while doing that upgrade to SSD

On 6/14/2021 at 9:51 PM, HyperPalBuddy said:

Heyyy Guys,

I've decided to move my windows from HDD to SSD and i want to reinstall windows on the ssd (my current install of windows is slightly corrupted). How do i go about this while maintaining the product key from the old windows?

I mentioned here that the windows was corrupt, it was referring to this problem only, i just have a lot of programs. Would be a good fresh start.
Ill get the SSD this weekend and ill keep the results. If it works, it works. Else it has to be a thermal problem

On 6/16/2021 at 3:50 PM, Alexsheff93 said:

Could this be a potential issue, not disabling onboard graphics to allow the dedicated graphics to take over, also if he's updated drivers of the GPU it could potentially be a driver update causing the issue.

On 6/16/2021 at 3:32 PM, Darkseth said:

Guys, Just installed windows on my SSD, Sorry to say its still bad news for me. Still its stuck at 139Mhz.

Attached is my stats after playing valorant for 7mins

Screenshot (1).png

Uninstall this armury crate thing (and EVERYTHING ELSE you don't need) and try again.

You can't call it a "fresh start" when the first thing you do is install all the Bloatware^^

I wouldn't be surprised if this Asus software is fucking your System up, just as it did on my Desktop (Asus motherboard, but different Software, it made my System literaly unstable)

use GPU-Z and see what is the limiting reason, could be an error in one of the reading in GPU

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 hour ago, Darkseth said:

Uninstall this armury crate thing (and EVERYTHING ELSE you don't need) and try again.

You can't call it a "fresh start" when the first thing you do is install all the Bloatware^^

I wouldn't be surprised if this Asus software is fucking your System up, just as it did on my Desktop (Asus motherboard, but different Software, it made my System literaly unstable)

Yea oem software can be unreliable at times, maybe try adjusting the speed via msi afterburner, if you cant then just fresh install windows, if the problem persists then you might need to mod your gpu vbios

OH yea, just had an idea.

Did you probably update your GPU Driver at roughly the same time, this Problem startet?

sometimes, a GPU Driver installation can be flawed, and cause some bugs. I once had extreme hardcore stuttering in Games, but the Frametimes looked very stable and consistent, so something was wrong. In the end, i uninstalled the GPU Driver with DDU, installed the previous version, and everything was fine.

On 6/19/2021 at 4:54 PM, Darkseth said:

Yeah, I did just that, and still no change

On 6/19/2021 at 5:04 PM, genexis_x said:

use GPU-Z and see what is the limiting reason, could be an error in one of the reading in GPU

this is what i get in GPU-Ztemp.gif.daa22a4ae7d0fe2f3f74f7c0c0a811b5.gif

I just found this, when I'm idling it finally crosses the 139mhz and the reason is now my thermals.

On 6/16/2021 at 3:32 PM, Darkseth said:

But like Darkseth posted here, it shouldn't go to the lowest possible state, So what do I do here?

1.gif

Is this Screen during Gaming?

Temperatures are way too hot. GPU should absolutely NOT hit 88°C when it only runs at 0,6750 Volt and 139 Mhz, not even during Gaming.

Maybe it's temperatures after all, limiting it to the lowest state because the temperatures are at the highest allowed threshold. However, it shouldn't be, i've really never seen such a behaviour. If it's really because of the Temperature, it should still boost up, and throttle as soon a high temperature is hit. But not be stuck at there at all times.

This looks like something's wrong with the Cooling System. Or maybe some Bios update, or GPU Driver bug

And this doesn't look like it's anything with Thermal paste, as this doesn't do more than a few single °C difference usually. Unless anything is wrong...

Maybe a screw is lose / broke?

Are the Fans working?

Can you reboot the System, not open ANY Game or Application, and post the same GPU-Z Picture again? I kinda want to check how these Temperatures are, after it was just sitting there in Idle for 5-10 Minutes.

I guess, you don't have any warranty anymore?

Edit: Oh a new picture. That is really just idle?

But at the least, it does switch Powerstate, and has 607 Mhz.

But 85°C GPU during idle is just waaaay too much, even if the Fan was off.