Can't get XFX RX580 to display at 4k 144hz or 4k 120hz

wegoodtbh

So let me just start off by saying I am not trying to play games at 4k 144 Hz. I just want the monitor to display at 4k 144hz. I bought this monitor to play on my PS5.

I bought a Gigabyte M28u Monitor https://www.gigabyte.com/Monitor/M28U#kfand for some reason I cannot get my monitor to display at 4k 144hz. It only goes up to 4k 60 fps but has options for 1440p 144hz and 1080p 144hz. I have tried both the HDMI and DisplayPort cable included with the monitor and so far nothing has worked.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can get this to work?

3 minutes ago, wegoodtbh said:

So let me just start off by saying I am not trying to play games at 4k 144 Hz. I just want the monitor to display at 4k 144hz. I bought this monitor to play on my PS5.

I bought a Gigabyte M28u Monitor https://www.gigabyte.com/Monitor/M28U#kfand for some reason I cannot get my monitor to display at 4k 144hz. It only goes up to 4k 60 fps but has options for 1440p 144hz and 1080p 144hz. I have tried both the HDMI and DisplayPort cable included with the monitor and so far nothing has worked.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can get this to work?

Probably not enough bandwidth, I highly doubt an older card like that has newer HDMI versions that support 4K 144/120.

Edit: cable bandwidth might not be enough.

😳
Not that active so I may not respond.

ITs probably that the HDMI/Displayport doest support those hz on that res.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, Cool_Evlo said:

Probably not enough bandwidth, I highly doubt an older card like that has newer HDMI versions that support 4K 144/120.

Shouldn't the display port 1.4 at least be enough to work though? I believe DisplayPort 1.4 supports 4k 144/120. 

1 minute ago, wegoodtbh said:

Shouldn't the display port 1.4 at least be enough to work though? I believe DisplayPort 1.4 supports 4k 144/120. 

Maybe, does the card have DP 1.4? Is the cable DP 1.4?

😳
Not that active so I may not respond.

1 minute ago, wegoodtbh said:

Is taht waht the gpu has? or is it lower like 1.2?

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Cool_Evlo said:

Maybe, does the card have DP 1.4? Is the cable DP 1.4?

https://www.xfxforce.com/gpus/amd-radeon-tm-rx-580-gts-xxx-edition-8gb-4 this is the spec sheet of my GPU, it has DisplayPort 1.4. I am using the cable that the monitor came with, so I am assuming it is DisplayPort 1.4 since the HDMI cable they gave me supports up to 8k. Not sure where to go from here

7 minutes ago, wegoodtbh said:

https://www.xfxforce.com/gpus/amd-radeon-tm-rx-580-gts-xxx-edition-8gb-4 this is the spec sheet of my GPU, it has DisplayPort 1.4. I am using the cable that the monitor came with, so I am assuming it is DisplayPort 1.4 since the HDMI cable they gave me supports up to 8k. Not sure where to go from here

could you try running the pixel clock timing patcher, it might work, i dont know

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Make sure you are using the DP1.4 port on both (there might be a DP1.2 port on the monitor/gpu as well as a DP1.4)

18 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

could you try running the pixel clock timing patcher, it might work, i dont know

I tried this, did not work unfortunately. Thank you for the help I appreciate it. 

10 minutes ago, ShadySocks said:

Make sure you are using the DP1.4 port on both (there might be a DP1.2 port on the monitor/gpu as well as a DP1.4)

My monitor only has 1 DP1.4 Port while having 2 HDMI 2.1 Ports, I did see this as being the case for some other monitors though. I tried plugging in both HDMI and DisplayPort at the same time and it did not work. 

With DP 1.4 you're limited to 4K 98Hz when using chroma 4:4:4 (full RGB). You can only use 120/144Hz if you set chroma to 4:2:2. But then text may have some artifacting.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

8 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

With DP 1.4 you're limited to 4K 98Hz when using chroma 4:4:4 (full RGB). You can only use 120/144Hz if you set chroma to 4:2:2. But then text may have some artifacting.

For 10 bpc color this is true, but 4K 120 Hz RGB should be achievable with 8 bpc color depth.

• 2 months later...

Hello, I have the same problem with the same monitor, I have DP 1.4 on my GPU (Sapphire Rx 570 8Gb), I cant get 4k 144hz setup in Windows, I think is not a problem with connectivity, when I setup color depth to 12 bpc and RGB 4:4:4 Pixel Format i get "Current Link Settings" 8.1Gbps x 4 = 32.4Gbps, 60Hz, all the other configuration on 4K resolution don't let me pass 60HZ, even if I setup 8bpc and 4:2:2, 6bpc RGB 4:4:4 Pixel Format, and the "Current Link Settings" go to 5.4Gbps x 4=21.6Gbps.

This make me thinks that RX 500 series do not pass 4k 60Hz in all setup configuration, I also tried FreeSync "off" option in monitor M28U configuration, also in Radeon Software.

So useless DP 1.4 on this GPU Cards, is only for "show" aka marketing.

If anyone has a FIX for this mess, I get him a beer.

On 6/15/2021 at 8:46 PM, wegoodtbh said:

I tried this, did not work unfortunately. Thank you for the help I appreciate it. 

My monitor only has 1 DP1.4 Port while having 2 HDMI 2.1 Ports, I did see this as being the case for some other monitors though. I tried plugging in both HDMI and DisplayPort at the same time and it did not work. 

ok...you do NOT have  hdmi 2.1's. on a 580 you have hdmi 2.0's. only amd's 6000 series has hdmi 2.1
your best bet is to use dp to do 4k 120hz.

hdmi 2.0 doesnt have the bandwidth to do 4k 120hz.

if your not able to get 4k 120 or 144 on dp youve got to be missing a setting set wrong

also i posted some more next post concerning getting hz to work with 500 series

16 hours ago, Ice TeaRex said:

Hello, I have the same problem with the same monitor, I have DP 1.4 on my GPU (Sapphire Rx 570 8Gb), I cant get 4k 144hz setup in Windows, I think is not a problem with connectivity, when I setup color depth to 12 bpc and RGB 4:4:4 Pixel Format i get "Current Link Settings" 8.1Gbps x 4 = 32.4Gbps, 60Hz, all the other configuration on 4K resolution don't let me pass 60HZ, even if I setup 8bpc and 4:2:2, 6bpc RGB 4:4:4 Pixel Format, and the "Current Link Settings" go to 5.4Gbps x 4=21.6Gbps.

This make me thinks that RX 500 series do not pass 4k 60Hz in all setup configuration, I also tried FreeSync "off" option in monitor M28U configuration, also in Radeon Software.

So useless DP 1.4 on this GPU Cards, is only for "show" aka marketing.

If anyone has a FIX for this mess, I get him a beer.

couple things.  dont bother with 12bit....10 at most and 444. as for hz use windows to change that. we've had to do that with all our 500 series. doing it in radeon software never stuck
590, 580, 570, 560 all do 4k 60hz 444 8bit no problem btw..we had them all... 10 bit you have to go 422 on hdmi

dp they do 4k 120 444 10bit BUT the cards are not strong enough to game that high of a res. video watching is fine thou

15 hours ago, circeseye said:

couple things.  dont bother with 12bit....10 at most and 444. as for hz use windows to change that. we've had to do that with all our 500 series. doing it in radeon software never stuck
590, 580, 570, 560 all do 4k 60hz 444 8bit no problem btw..we had them all... 10 bit you have to go 422 on hdmi

dp they do 4k 120 444 10bit BUT the cards are not strong enough to game that high of a res. video watching is fine thou

I dont have in windows 10 the option to do more then 60HZ on DP 1.4 I tried and tried, only option that i have in windows is 60Hz and 59.940Hz, if u have any advice..?

Setup.jpg

4 hours ago, Ice TeaRex said:

I dont have in windows 10 the option to do more then 60HZ on DP 1.4 I tried and tried, only option that i have in windows is 60Hz and 59.940Hz, if u have any advice..?

Setup.jpg

you need to look in radeon settings. (settings and display) im betting theres a setting that shouldnt be on

or its a setting in your monitor that isnt set right

9 hours ago, circeseye said:

you need to look in radeon settings. (settings and display) im betting theres a setting that shouldnt be on

or its a setting in your monitor that isnt set right

I see that I'm not the only one that have this problem....is about the same monitor. They also tried to do 144hz on lower GPU didn't get it. Max is 4k 60hz.

M28U.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 8/30/2021 at 4:47 AM, Ice TeaRex said:

I see that I'm not the only one that have this problem....is about the same monitor. They also tried to do 144hz on lower GPU didn't get it. Max is 4k 60hz.

M28U.jpg

Ice Tea Rex - did you manage to resolve this? I have the same GPU and the same monitor, and you are the first person to identity this same issue. i'm also locked at 60hz. If you found a resolution I would be grateful to know about it!

Likely not a PC problem at all. Have you tried looking at the other end? Meaning the monitor itself. My OSD (on 2 LG monitors) lets me select a displayport version to use the monitor with. It even came with it set to DP 1.2. I originally used it on a Vega64 and had to set it to DP1.4 to be able to use 120hz. Same 60/95 was available before that. After i got my 6900XT i could finally change it to DP 1.4 (DSC) to use the full 160hz.

My guess is that other monitors have the same setting. So try looking for it.

I have no signature

• 4 weeks later...

Just got an AOC monitor (U28G2X 144HZ).

RX500 series can support up to 4K 120hz 8bit but can't  get 144hz  with one DP cable.

Can anybody konw how to get 144hz or need to change to a newer card?

144hz.thumb.png.4f3b732e9287756247d83be0f153e90b.png

2 hours ago, Fanfangeng said:

Just got an AOC monitor (U28G2X 144HZ).

RX500 series can support up to 4K 120hz 8bit but can't  get 144hz  with one DP cable.

Can anybody konw how to get 144hz or need to change to a newer card?

144hz.thumb.png.4f3b732e9287756247d83be0f153e90b.png

You'll have to use chroma subsampling, but this introduces artifacts that are worse than missing out on 24Hz added refresh rate. So just stay at 120Hz for the time being. A newer GPU that supports DSC will enable 144Hz full chroma.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.