How to configure a 100 mbps ethernet speed to 1 gigabit

gtr2244

My pc: Windows 10 Home,  Asus z390 E gaming motherboard, i7 8700k cpu, CAT 8 ethernet cable, router: Verizon Fios Quantum.

I had 75 mbps, just upgraded to 1 gigabit. The speed test shows 900/900 router speed to the Verizon servers. My device is only capable of 100 mbps speed. Is there a way to configure the ethrnet driver/adapter?

I tried installing the latest LAN driver on the Asus website, it said my device wasn't compatible.

Your mobo already supports gigabit networking.  If you are getting a lower speeds than it is likely a bad cable.

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

9 minutes ago, gtr2244 said:

My pc: Windows 10 Home,  Asus z390 E gaming motherboard, i7 8700k cpu, CAT 8 ethernet cable, router: Verizon Fios Quantum.

I had 75 mbps, just upgraded to 1 gigabit. The speed test shows 900/900 router speed to the Verizon servers. My device is only capable of 100 mbps speed. Is there a way to configure the ethrnet driver/adapter?

I tried installing the latest LAN driver on the Asus website, it said my device wasn't compatible.

If you have an ethernet cable plugged into the verizon box, the most you're going to get is going to be the MTU. So a 1500 MTU with a 1460 payload is going to be 94.3%, assuming that both your computer, the router and the destination are capable of it. So 943Mbits is the most you will ever be able to see.

Which gets into another point, the connection point between your router and Verizon is probably fiber and the latency matters more.

Now if your computer devices are only connecting at 100mbit, that indicates either

a) hardware in between the computer and the router isn't gigE (like an ethernet switch or hub)

b) the ethernet wires are kinked/stapled/bent somewhere

c) the software settings on the card are not set to auto/1gbit

image.png.04f0e65573d1311438bf347eb0e16838.png

Most hardware will negotiate the highest speed unless it's a laptop, in which case it may pick the lowest speed initially to save battery power.

No shipping laptop or desktop has shipped with anything less that gigabit ethernet for well over a decade, so unless you're talking about Windows XP machines, there is no reason for it not to connect at gigabit.

I checked the Speed & Duplex, it was already on auto. I'm going to check my cable which runs along the ceiling in the basement. Maybe a staple is too tight.

The cable is fine, chatted with Verizon. They couldn't see anything wrong. Maybe the router is the problem? I bought it separate from Verizon.

5 hours ago, gtr2244 said:

The cable is fine, chatted with Verizon. They couldn't see anything wrong. Maybe the router is the problem? I bought it separate from Verizon.

How did you determine that the cable is fime? Just a visual inspection or with a cable tester? 

What router do you have? 

9 hours ago, gtr2244 said:

The Fios Quantum is a gigabit router with gigabit ports. I have used it before upgrading my home network. I would double check the ethernet from the ONT to the router and from router to your PC. Check for new drivers for your ethernet adapter on your motherboard as well. 

Just a visual inspection. What tool would I need? A analogue meter, then pull the ends off and test the cable? The Fios Quantum router is rated for 800 mbps speed. On the Asus website for my motherboard, there are new LAN and wifi drivers. They won't install, it says they're not compatible with my pc. The LAN driver is a gigabit driver. I'll try contacting Asus and see if they know. 

The Speed and Deluxe setting in the Properties was on auto. I changed it to 1 gigabit. Now in the Network settings it shows I'm not plugged in. With wifi same problem, can't upgrade the driver, and it only gets between 100-250 mbps.

12 hours ago, gtr2244 said:

Maybe the router is the problem? I bought it separate from Verizon.

So you have another router between the FiOS gateway and your PC? If so, what is the make/model?

1 hour ago, gtr2244 said:

Just a visual inspection. What tool would I need?

Can you move a PC closer to the FiOS gateway and test by plugging ethernet directly into it?

I have a Fios Quantum router, my housemate has a laptop he's going to plug into the ont.

I was told by an Asus tech that my mother board is only rated for 100 mbps. I asked about the gigabit driver in the download section and they're going to get back to me. Hopefully I can update it, right now I keep getting an incompatible message.

2 hours ago, gtr2244 said:

I have a Fios Quantum router, my housemate has a laptop he's going to plug into the ont.

I was told by an Asus tech that my mother board is only rated for 100 mbps. I asked about the gigabit driver in the download section and they're going to get back to me. Hopefully I can update it, right now I keep getting an incompatible message.

Asus told you what? LOL!

That motherboard has an Intel I219-V on it... a gigabit LAN controller. I don't think any motherboard made within the last 10 years comes with anything less than a gigabit NIC.

What exact build of Windows 10 are you running? 32- or 64-bit? Did you uninstall the current drivers and install the latest version for your OS?

Windows 10 64 bit Home edition. I tried manually and auto update, it says it's the latest driver. My pc specs are in the original post.  That's strange that he didn't look on Intel's page. I wonder where he got that info of 100 mbps. So it's either the router or my cat 8 cable is really a 100 mbps cable. Which people on Amazon were complaining about.

On 6/16/2021 at 11:28 AM, gtr2244 said:

Make sure they use a completely different ethernet cable. Cat5e or better.

Its also always worth doing a visual inspection of the ethernet ports to see if somehow some dust got in there or a pin is not in the right position, plus try a different port on the router.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Keep your Ethernet cables away from fluorescent lights and power cables too.

3 hours ago, gtr2244 said:

So it's either the router or my cat 8 cable is really a 100 mbps cable. Which people on Amazon were complaining about.

It could be fake. It wouldn't be the first time a fake product was put on Amazon. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

It could be fake. It wouldn't be the first time a fake product was put on Amazon. 

I'd sanity check it and use the same cable to plug in any other two things and then look at the linkspeed.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

My housemate got his usb gigabit ethernet adapter. His laptop wired is getting the correct speeds. I tried it on my pc and got 350 download on the first test. I'm sure a little time it should also get to 900 speed. I ordered one too. Not sure where the bottle neck is. 

7 minutes ago, gtr2244 said:

My housemate got his usb gigabit ethernet adapter. His laptop wired is getting the correct speeds. I tried it on my pc and got 350 download on the first test. I'm sure a little time it should also get to 900 speed. I ordered one too. Not sure where the bottle neck is. 

Just be sure you plug that bad boy in to your USB 3.0 port. USB 2.0 is rated only for 480 Mbps and that doesn't account for any overhead. Also keep in mind that USB 2 or 3 ports share the bus. Meaning other USB 3.0 devices will be using the same highway as your network traffic, However normal 3.0 ports are rated for 5 Gbps so that should theoretically be plenty. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Thanks for the tips, I've also been trying to install Intel wired proset. Maybe it'll help changing the speed on my ethernet driver. I can't get it to install, it says to uninstall Network Connections. Not sure where or how.

Sounds typical of that Intel LAN controller. They're very picky about their cables. The fact that it disconnects when you force gigabit speed says enough.

Either the cable is of too inferior quality (like a CCA cable, instead of a full copper cable) or there's something else about it that it doesn't like.

I've seen this a few times before, so that's why I'm mentioning it.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

A Verizon tech is going to be here on Monday. After my housemate plugged his laptop into the ont and the speed was very slow. The speeds have been fluctuating even on wifi. The only consistent speed is the router to Verizon, which has been 900's. 

I plugged in my usb+ethernet 1 gig adapter and it works, same for my housemate.. My housemates cancelled the Verizon call that was supposed to be tomorrow, since we are getting correct speeds now.

About the cable, maybe if I moved my pc close to the router for a cable swap, to see if it is the cable. The Verizon tech said the same thing, maybe the system doesn't recognize it's quality.