Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Windows 11 leak [General megathread]

Message added by Spotty,

Do not take this as an opportunity to post inflammatory remarks over operating systems or to argue over which operating system is the best. Treat others with respect, be excellent to each other and don't be a dick.

Discussing the news of the leak and the features that are present in it is fine but we do not allow distribution of copyrighted software, including linking to third party download sites. Do not post guides or links to download or otherwise obtain the leaked copy of Windows 11.

1 minute ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

also the fact that some links are still in the old control panel but clicking them opens up a page in the settings app. like what

Exactly. Mainly sound, network adapter and environment variables related stuff (that I know off).

Battery life/charging report still hidden behind a command prompt command, even though it has been a thing since Windows 8.

It seems as though most of the comments directed at the UI are similar to not seeing any trees in the middle of a forest.  How much time does one spend with the UI in real terms.  For me, it's pretty much just launching the programs that I need (Firefox, Word, Excel, Atom, Outlook, Adobe Lightroom are the predominant ones, infrequently Powershell when using my GitHub account). A well designed UI that is appealing to the eyes is nice but as long as programs launch when you need them to and don't crash that's good enough for me.  So many electrons have been spilled over the nine pages so far on what may not even be a beta version of Win 11.  Join the insiders club, use it, and if you are then still upset, start throwing stones.

Nobody is forcing you to use Windows unless you are in a corporate environment where it is the mandated standard by the IT department (which was the case when I was still working).

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

A trusted platform module.

Didn't they replaced it with a new thing? I think it had a planet codename. *Searching the TWiT Windows Weekly archive*

Satya Nadella has no idea what he is doing.

Worst CEO in the history of Microsoft.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 5 2600@3.9GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R15: 1382cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3439
1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

That still doesn't justify the toxicity, it's minor UI changes, yet, people are acting like MS just shot a puppy in the face.

It's a minor UI change that has large (bad) implications for usability.

Me changing my headlights from white/yellow to red would also be a "minor cosmetic change", but it would be extremely dangerous to do because it changes the perception and functionality. Even small changes can have major consequences.

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

You do realize it's been on the market for decades, so why start being toxic now after only seeing 1 screenshot of a build that isn't even the final version and doesn't explain it's features ?

I am basing my "toxic" comments on actually using it, not just looking at a screenshot.

The new start menu is awful. It's terrible. Whoever designed it clearly doesn't know anything about making a usable GUI. It is clearly form over function.

1 minute ago, Dean0919 said:

I really don't see reason for this OS. Just because some small design changes there's no reason to make a new Windows. For Windows 11 I would expect something drastically different, but just because some silly rounded corners and a few design changes to make a new OS is stupid imo and to be honest I don't even like those design changes. Judging by screenshots it looks very similar to 10, just with a small design change.

It's a lot more than this, but mostly GUI.

People have pointed out that Microsoft was focusing more on enterprise feature request over anything, and left consumers in the dust in the recent years. That is true because consumer didn't bring money to justify any additional investments beside support. A new GUI is a drastic change, and so deserve a new version name. The OS does have new features, many of which Insiders today, like myself, are enjoying.

I won't lie that part of the renaming, is marketing. But in the end, it's free.

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

dont think so. Iike I said, on reddit, theyve found that only certain settings on certain tpm will let win11 install

that could be a limitation to make the "leak" less widespread (not sure, but seems logical to me to have certain  hurdles as its not "official") 

✪Ryzen 3600✪RTX3070✪B350✪

✪Trident Z 3600 16-16-16-36✪

✪Noctua U12S Chromax✪

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

that could be a limitation to make the "leak" less widespread (not sure, but seems logical to me to have certain  hurdles as its not "official") 

yeah, maybe, but it fires up in a vm fine. im tempted to fire up a windows editor to try to cut it out lol

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Satya Nadella has no idea what he is doing.

Worst CEO in the history of Microsoft.

Hardly!  I've been a shareholder for a lot of years and Steve Ballmer was far worse.  He had no understanding of the company and its markets/

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

3 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I dont think so. Iike I said, on reddit, theyve found that only certain settings on certain tpm will let win11 install

Here, it's in the works (haven't found the podcast). Maybe only compatible TPM will be able to install.

https://www.microsoft.com/security/blog/2020/11/17/meet-the-microsoft-pluton-processor-the-security-chip-designed-for-the-future-of-windows-pcs/

Just now, Alan G said:

Hardly!  I've been a shareholder for a lot of years and Steve Ballmer was far worse.  He had no understanding of the company and its markets/

Let me reword it: Worst CEO in the history of Microsoft for consumers.

The products that Microsoft offer are just terrible,Nadella just relies on Microsoft's dominance in the market.

AMD Ryzen 5 2600@3.9GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dean0919 said:

Our monitor corners aren't rounded, they're squire and I think these rounded corners don't fit in design.

I mean, the display of the Surface Laptop Go is rounded. Of course, not to the same degree as the Windows, that would be just dumb to have everything look the same! Who needs consistency at Microsoft?

1 hour ago, Dean0919 said:

I really don't see reason for this OS. Just because some small design changes there's no reason to make a new Windows. For Windows 11 I would expect something drastically different, but just because some silly rounded corners and a few design changes to make a new OS is stupid imo and to be honest I don't even like those design changes.

Well, for instance, what warranted a change from Vista to 7? Why didn't they just call it Vista SP3? Other than the taskbar and libraries in explorer, they are fundamentally the same operating system. What visually changed from macOS Leopard to Snow Leopard? Change the default background and never in a million years would I see the difference. Windows 10 21H2 = Windows 11. It's just a name change. Something to help OEMs move more units. Something to get people excited, and then disappointed about. Something to scare people who still have PTSD from Windows 8.

Edited by Spotty
2 minutes ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

Here, it's in the works (haven't found the podcast). Maybe only compatible TPM will be able to install.

https://www.microsoft.com/security/blog/2020/11/17/meet-the-microsoft-pluton-processor-the-security-chip-designed-for-the-future-of-windows-pcs/

I dont thinks thats the case for public releases, imagine if ms tried to say "hey, your 5 year old pc, thats still modern? Yeah, it cant install win11. Lol just gotta deal"

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

It's a lot more than this, but mostly GUI.

People have pointed out that Microsoft was focusing more on enterprise feature request over anything, and left consumers in the dust in the recent years. That is true because consumer didn't bring money to justify any additional investments beside support. A new GUI is a drastic change, and so deserve a new version name. The OS does have new features, many of which Insiders today, like myself, are enjoying.

I won't lie that part of the renaming, is marketing. But in the end, it's free.

I disagree that new GUI is a drastic change. It looks like a Windows 10 just corners are round, taskbar is in the center and window is separated from taskbar, oh and new icons. Everything else looks like same as Windows 10. They could do this in Windows 10 without problems I'm pretty sure.

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-10400F | COOLER: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B460M DS3H | RAM: Viper Steel Series 16GB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 8GB | STORAGE: Kingston 240GB SA400M8 SSD + 2TB HDD + 4TB HDD +4TB HDD | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus | PSU: XFX PRO1050W Black Edition (80+ Gold) | KEYBOARD: Corsair Vengeance K70 | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | MOUSEPAD: Marvo MG010 | MONITOR: Dell S2721D 27" | SPEAKERS: Microlab Solo7C | HEADSET: Trust GXT 410 Rune Illuminated | OS: Windows 10 64bit
Just now, Vishera said:

Let me reword it: Worst CEO in the history of Microsoft for consumers.

The products that Microsoft offer are just terrible,Nadella just relies on Microsoft's dominance in the market.

Did Microsoft not have to build Azure from the ground up (shortly before Balmer left actually)? Microsoft wasn't heavily invested in the cloud space until the mid/late 2010s.

And did Microsoft not have this huge plan for Windows 10 that came crashing and crumbling down due to a lack of app support? What do you want them to do? Release a watch band every five months like Apple does? Is that "better for consumers"? If anything, not changing jack about the OS for 6 years is much better for consumers. You don't have to explain to any older relatives why Windows looks completely different every 3 years.

4 minutes ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

What visually changed from macOS Leopard to Snow Leopard? Change the default background and never in a million years would I see the difference. 

And that is beautiful. Oh wait, they did change the Time Machine. They removed the beautiful starfield with the ugly dusted glass.

Eh I cannot hate it until I have actually worked with it for a while.  

Annoying AF with how many machines I help maintain I am likely going to have to sort out though.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

6 hours ago, givingtnt said:

ninite.com.. scroll down to classic start 👀

depending on what you're doing, Classic Start can cause serious issues in Windows.

I had a developer use it in a Citrix build previously, and it cause /nightmares/ until I figured out the cause.  Classic Start went away, and the problems vanished!

Just now, tkitch said:

depending on what you're doing, Classic Start can cause serious issues in Windows.

I had a developer use it in a Citrix build previously, and it cause /nightmares/ until I figured out the cause.  Classic Start went away, and the problems vanished!

Classic Start has been discontinued for years now. It's forked to Open Shell since I last used it.

2 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

*snip*

Wasn't talking about you, feel free to read the first 2 pages ; saying devs are retarded is toxic.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

VPN server guide

Introduction to Mechanical Keyboard

Spoiler

My Gaming Rig - Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO CPU: i7-8700 RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400(4x8GB) GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB OS SSD: 512GB SU800 SSD Storage: 2x 1TB Seagate PSU: Seasonic G650 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bits Monitor: Acer 21in G205H + Lenovo 21in

2 minutes ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

What do you want them to do?

Reverse Windows 10 and 8/8.1,

Continue Windows 7 support and updates and add a full DX12 support to it (Currently DX12 support on Windows 7 is partial,I can play Red Dead Redemption 2,Cyberpunk 2077 and COD Warzone on it,but it doesn't support DX12 in all games such as Shadow of The Tomb Raider which has a DX11 mode that i can play with)

No bloatware,no unnecessary programs and features that run in the background,

No telemetry,no forced updates,reliability and practicality as priority.

10 minutes ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

Release a watch band every five months like Apple does? Is that "better for consumers"?

No,a smartphone with removable battery,headphone jack ,MicroSD Card and Dual-Sim with a decent SOC at $500 would be nice.

I give it two months tops before guides and even programs are on Github etc to debloat Win11.

A personal fav of mine for Win10 is this tool : - https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

31 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

*snip*

My reply wasn't directed at you, but if the hat fits 🤷‍♂️

BTW, I haven't tried it and don't intend to, but if people that used it and hate would explain the issue, instead swearing about their outrage, it would help. "It's shit" and "devs are retarded" aren't feedback to take seriously and is completely useless.

"I don't like it" is just an opinion and isn't objective. An explanation as to WHY it's shit and WHY you don't like it would at least provide feedback outside of the "outrage culture" that is currently this thread.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

VPN server guide

Introduction to Mechanical Keyboard

Spoiler

My Gaming Rig - Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO CPU: i7-8700 RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400(4x8GB) GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB OS SSD: 512GB SU800 SSD Storage: 2x 1TB Seagate PSU: Seasonic G650 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bits Monitor: Acer 21in G205H + Lenovo 21in