Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Windows 11 leak [General megathread]

Message added by Spotty,

Do not take this as an opportunity to post inflammatory remarks over operating systems or to argue over which operating system is the best. Treat others with respect, be excellent to each other and don't be a dick.

Discussing the news of the leak and the features that are present in it is fine but we do not allow distribution of copyrighted software, including linking to third party download sites. Do not post guides or links to download or otherwise obtain the leaked copy of Windows 11.

On 6/15/2021 at 1:10 PM, Mr. Slavic said:

please hope to god this is not the new UI for "Windows 11"

and why, why is the start menu like that.

Looks like a pared down KDE Plasma, of sorts.

Tons of people like that UI.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

On 6/15/2021 at 10:41 AM, Kilrah said:

Yeah, so you set the location to Left instead of Middle. Big deal...

Really people overblow it, it's not a "whole new OS", it's Win10 with a slightly refreshed taskbar / Start menu / theme... 

Which could be nice. With any luck(which we won't have) it's Windows 10 on the back end for compatibility with bug fixes. Then the UI update to make things easier to find. 

If they go with a "whole new" OS it will be like W10 all over again unfortunately. They should just build on the goods, and fix the bads.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

Project Hot Box

CPU Ryzen 7 5800x, Motherboard MSI MPG B550I Gaming Edge Wifi, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200mhz (2x16), GPU AMD Raedon 6800 XT FE, Case Silverstone RVZ03B, Storage CORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR sf600, Cooling Noctua NH-L12S, Displays LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch, 32 inch curved that I can't find the model number for right now; UPerfect 7 inch LCD Aida64 Display, Keyboard Corsair K95, Mouse Corsair Nightblade, Sound AT2020+ USB Mic, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Schiit Magni, Modi Loki mini stack. 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPU Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, MSI 1070 Gaming X 8gb, Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X, Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, 5x Seagate IronWolf 8tb NAS(ZFS1), PSU Corsair RM1000x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans, OS Unraid

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Whenever I run a windows installation on a virtual machine it says the system does not reach the minimum requirements??

I have allocated 2 cores (4.7GHz), 40GB storage, and 6GB ram. What could be the issue?

2qvb9.png

vahdf.png

2 hours ago, Murasaki said:

Feels like they either wanted to fit the day of the week string on the clock by default or want to imitate the MacOS dock but full screen width in size. Other than that idk why it has to be taller, was fine as is at 40px at 1080p

10X had 3 sizes to pick. So most likely the option will be there

@CallumOKane Merged to W11 thread.

Select Win10, enable EFI.

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX3080, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

GPD Win 2

6 minutes ago, CallumOKane said:

Whenever I run a windows installation on a virtual machine it says the system does not reach the minimum requirements??

I have allocated 2 cores (4.7GHz), 40GB storage, and 6GB ram. What could be the issue?

For some reason the mods merged this with the Windows 11 thread. Is that what you're trying to install?

York (NAS/Secondary Desktop): Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), 24GB 1333MHz DDR3, Zotac GTX 550 Ti AMP! 1GB, HP OEM GTX 680 2GB, 500GB Crucial MX500, 2x 3TB HDD + 3x 2TB HDD (12TB total), Windows Server 2019

Phobos (Main Desktop): AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, XFX Radeon RX 570 4GB, 1TB WD Blue SN550, 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Bondi: Apple iMac G3 (Tray Loader, Revision A), PowerPC 750, 384MB PC-66, ATI Rage IIc 2MB, 4GB Quantum Fireball, Mac OS 9.2.2

Clover (NAS): Dell OptiPlex 755 MT, Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 (2C/2T), 8GB 800MHz DDR2, 160GB WD Caviar SE (Boot), 2x 1TB WD Caviar Blue (Storage), FreeNAS 11.3-U1

2 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

For some reason the mods merged this with the Windows 11 thread. Is that what you're trying to install?

yep, no worries, didnt realise there was one 😄

2 minutes ago, CallumOKane said:

yep, no worries, didnt realise there was one 😄

Ah ok, didn't know it was something to do with 11. You'll need to set the OS type to Windows 10 (64-bit).

6 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

@CallumOKane Merged to W11 thread.

Select Win10, enable EFI.

EFI doesn't have to be enabled. 

York (NAS/Secondary Desktop): Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), 24GB 1333MHz DDR3, Zotac GTX 550 Ti AMP! 1GB, HP OEM GTX 680 2GB, 500GB Crucial MX500, 2x 3TB HDD + 3x 2TB HDD (12TB total), Windows Server 2019

Phobos (Main Desktop): AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, XFX Radeon RX 570 4GB, 1TB WD Blue SN550, 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Bondi: Apple iMac G3 (Tray Loader, Revision A), PowerPC 750, 384MB PC-66, ATI Rage IIc 2MB, 4GB Quantum Fireball, Mac OS 9.2.2

Clover (NAS): Dell OptiPlex 755 MT, Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 (2C/2T), 8GB 800MHz DDR2, 160GB WD Caviar SE (Boot), 2x 1TB WD Caviar Blue (Storage), FreeNAS 11.3-U1

39 minutes ago, CallumOKane said:

2qvb9.png

vahdf.png

You need to use the windows 10 preset, not the other windows preset. I had the same issue.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

4 hours ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

Can anyone confirm whether or not the taskbar is taller than in 10? And whether the scaling is off a bit? Those are my only gripes with most of the screenshots I've seen so far, as they take away from screen real estate a tad.

It is.

New taskbar = 48 pixels

Windows 10 taskbar = 40 pixels

4 hours ago, Kilrah said:

When you install Apache it does the right thing, that's good. Should you install RandomCrappyLinuxApp (as root, obviously) it could just as much go mess up anything else on the system just like on Windows. 

The thing is that you shouldn't install things as root on GNU/Linux, and you typically don't need to either. On Windows on the other hand, it feels like every program requires admin privileges, for some reason.

4 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Systems that are fully sandboxed are so restrictive they become a major pain for other reasons, so no thanks.

You can go use an iPad as computer, it's supposed to be the trend 🙂

It's only an issue if implemented poorly (like in UWP).

It's not an issue if implemented well (like MacOS or GNU/Linux through AppArmor).

3 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Thats because it mostly is a just a new skin, windows update shows the OS as still being windows 10.

I've seen claims that it isn't the final build, but have yet to see proof of that. This OS looks final enough for a public release because there isn't any build watermark or disclaimer that its an internal build only. I think this was leaked on purpose to get peoples opinions, lots of companies do it nowadays.

The leaked build is less than a month old. The compiled less than a month ago. 2021-05-29 at 15:41 to be precise. It is possible that Microsoft intentionally leaked this build to generate hype, and they only included some things in it on purpose, but my guess is that what we see in this leaked build is probably like 90% of what we will see at the official announcement, plus maybe some concept videos and pictures of what they WANT Windows 11 to be, but it's not done yet.

I think the people frantically going "it's not the final build! It's not the final build!" are the same people who tried to defend Windows 10 when the beta was terrible in various ways.

Remember when people said we shouldn't worry about the mandatory telemetry because "it's just a beta, they won't include it in the final build"? Remember when out good friend GoodBytes even recommended against using Windows 10 because of the tracking, when he believed it was only going to be in the preview?  

Spoiler
On 10/30/2014 at 8:14 PM, GoodBytes said:

As everyone mention, it's for telemetry data collecting in how Windows 10 is being used. That is why, by the license agreement and provacy policy, which you agreed upon when you register as part of the Microsoft Insider Program to get Windows 10, you need to be 18 years or older. The age resitriction is to to make sure the user knows not to use credit card, knows what privacy is, knows not to type in bank passwords and so on. You agreeing and acknolege the ramifications of the tracking being done.

Microsoft recommends time and time again, to NOT use Windows 10 as your main OS, because of the tracking and also because it is a preview, meaning super early beta, which may result in data loss, and unexpected behavior and even unexpected need to re-install the OS. It hasn't passed any sort of deep testing for reliability. You are using the OS at your own risk.

If you do not agree with this, you can install back Windows 8 or 7, and simply wait for Windows 10 being official released.

or here:

On 1/23/2015 at 5:21 PM, GoodBytes said:

This is a preview version, and stability is your least of your worries. Reliability is, and that is again something we can't answer. As Microsoft can push an update which has a bug inside with your specific hardware configuration, and cause you to loose all data on disk or something. This is the risk of using any beta OS. And yes it has happened.

Microsoft doesn't recommend using it as your main OS, due to the chances of above. And suggests to not do anything of high privacy, because the high detailed telemetry data collected (this applies on all previews Windows). You are being tracked your every move. While Microsoft doesn't care about what you do with the system, as they want to just replicate bugs and crashes logged, that information could be used to identify you, if someone hacks Microsoft servers, or someone intercept what is being transmitted or malware that accesses what is being logged on your system to be sent to Microsoft (unlikely a sophisticated malware is made just for a Window preview, but you never know). Understanding this is why Microsoft put a requirement of 18 years+ of age (as also per law), to be part of the insider program and use Windows 10 Preview.

If you are concerned about this, then you should wait at the end, for a (if any) release candidate, or better yet, wait for the official release. Most people are running Windows 10 on a separate system where they avoid doing stuff like banking or anything of that level, or running Windows 10 in a VM and occasionally use it, or simply dual boot and do sensitive stuff on their other OS, and Windows 10 to have fun.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

The leaked build is less than a month old. The compiled less than a month ago. 2021-05-29 at 15:41 to be precise. It is possible that Microsoft intentionally leaked this build to generate hype, and they only included some things in it on purpose, but my guess is that what we see in this leaked build is probably like 90% of what we will see at the official announcement, plus maybe some concept videos and pictures of what they WANT Windows 11 to be, but it's not done yet.

Yeah, I bet this is on purpose. I've not seen anyone on Reddit talking about a cease and desist for piracy (or something similar) yet from Ms.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

On 6/15/2021 at 2:17 PM, Kilrah said:

VirtualBox_W11_15_06_2021_20_16_40.thumb.png.1977bcba2bedec7bf76fc201eee2b93a.png

It looks quite nice. Similar to windows 10 but more animated and in my opinion it looks nicer. Most users anyways use a weaker system and dont really care about a ton of features as much as looks. They typically like a sort of more animated style I think. I dont want it to be like ios but this looks quite nice. 

12 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Yeah, I bet this is on purpose. I've not seen anyone on Reddit talking about a cease and desist for piracy (or something similar) yet from Ms.

And Microsoft posted this on Twitter:

12 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

The thing is that you shouldn't install things as root on GNU/Linux, and you typically don't need to either.

Well, try to install something from apt without root... That's still the main way of installing things on most distros. Many try other things (snap, flatpak, AppImages...) but those all have their own issues and outside of a few major ones the apps distributed that way are often outdated/broken such that you have to go back to the package manager to actually get something you can use.  

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX3080, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

Since it is not what I was hoping for I just hope it has WSL2 or better Linux baked into the core.   Yeah it would just be a VM but a system that would allow one to run whatever software we want would be awesome. 

Does look like W10 will be updated to W11?

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

1 hour ago, CallumOKane said:

Change the "Operating System" to Windows 7 64-bit. Worked for me.

18 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

And Microsoft posted this on Twitter:

Oh, it's totally on purpose then. 

33 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

The thing is that you shouldn't install things as root on GNU/Linux, and you typically don't need to either. On Windows on the other hand, it feels like every program requires admin privileges, for some reason.

Yeah, try running apt install without sudo infront of it.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

27 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

I just hope it has WSL2 or better Linux baked into the core. 

The available build already has working WSLg.

Clipboard01.thumb.png.2f028ff50573c6132dfafd27f7d79276.png

F@H

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Clipboard01.thumb.png.2f028ff50573c6132dfafd27f7d79276.png

This does look way cool!!! 

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

12 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Am I seeing things wrong or the top corners of the window have rounder edges while the bottom edges transition more abruptly into the bottom line?

Nope, just checked the pixels.

30 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Well I hope so, Insiders had been enjoying this feature for more than a month (or just about)

On 6/15/2021 at 2:20 PM, Oshino Shinobu said:

Would be nice if they went down a more customisable route. 

Think MS learnt their lesson on going for overly tablet/mobile focused design with WIndows 8 (hopefully)

SHINOBU?!?!?!?! You know what araragi will do if your missing

6 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

10X had 3 sizes to pick. So most likely the option will be there

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\

Create the DWORD entry "TaskbarSi"

0 = Small

1 = Medium

2 = Large

Note: Medium is the default if the "TaskbarSi" entry isn't there.

Soo... I'm pilot testing Cloud Managed Desktop at my workplace... do I dare try to introduce it to Windows "11"? 

AMD FX™ 6300 @ 4.20 GHz | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB WD 750GB | Antec 300 | ASUS Xonar DG | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 

Intel Core™ i7-7600U | Seagate 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 850 G4

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB / 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

iPhone 6s (iOS 13.6.1) | iPhone XS (iOS 14.3) |  iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | Samsung Galaxy S5e (Android 10)