Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Windows 11 leak [General megathread]

Message added by Spotty,

Do not take this as an opportunity to post inflammatory remarks over operating systems or to argue over which operating system is the best. Treat others with respect, be excellent to each other and don't be a dick.

Discussing the news of the leak and the features that are present in it is fine but we do not allow distribution of copyrighted software, including linking to third party download sites. Do not post guides or links to download or otherwise obtain the leaked copy of Windows 11.

11 minutes ago, StDragon said:

But for 3rd Party apps? No, the registry doesn't serve a useful function for binding itself to the OS. Unless it's a form of anti-piracy in which case there's still better approaches.

I greatly, greatly prefer all applications including 3rd party use registry for as many settings as possible. They or I can make admx templates and actually properly manage them this way with an actually useable management framework which is near as much the entire reason Windows has as much staying power in corporate/business networks.

Every single time I have to apply settings or similar to deployed applications that use files I completely loath it, and it has nothing to do with not being able to do what is required it's just entirely unnecessary.

Every time I hear complaints about registry and how it breaks is a person who is blaming the wrong thing. I don't think I've ever come across an actual registry problem or registry corruption in 2 decades, problems are 99.99% of the time at the application layer. Having to do delete or modify a registry setting to change or unbreak an application is not a registry issue, that's a broken application not handling it's own stuff properly.

If you crash a car on a perfectly good road don't go blaming the road.

Just now, Murasaki said:

Fair enough, hope they're added back because I need my labels.

yeah. windwos 11 is probably months away from a public release date anyways, so there are going to be things like that.

For exapmple there was placeholder text in the installer visable, something like "place error message here if error occurs ininstalation for user" or something like that. this is very unfinished from the looks. 

But, i can sort the taskbar stuff to the left, so its normal.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Tried it at work today after someone decided to run it on a not in use laptop because that is a smart thing to do with a leaked iso.

Feels like a form of chrome os mixed with windows but with a focus on tablets and a big scoop of wannabeapple.

it does feel really snappy tho and I do like that. I dislike the floaty behavior of start to make it seem like it is a window but I don't tend to interface with it much usually. Might as well go full apple and give us a mini program search + full screen start menu at this point.

Also noticed things are a little more distinguishable in the ui for what is pressable and what not but still no where near enough for my taste. I do like the semi return to aero with the better transparency effects.

The new wallpapers are nice.

For now I give it a it's ok. Even tho this is literally just 10x but a bit desktopified at best.

How are you guys getting these leaked pictures and how do we know they are legit??

3 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

Wait that is missing? I thought it was just disabled or sitting somewhere else. That would be crud if it isn't there anymore.

Just now, 2DPrinter said:

How are you guys getting these leaked pictures and how do we know they are legit??

There is a windows 11 iso that leaked and you can just run it on your system if it meets the requirements.

I like the pringles backround:

image.thumb.png.99028cc0c28d9039a87071006b64990e.png

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, 2DPrinter said:

because a full build leaked. You can install it to a vm, maybe hardware, but we cant share the iso here.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I greatly, greatly prefer all applications including 3rd party use registry for as many settings as possible. They or I can make admx templates and actually properly manage them this way with an actually useable management framework which is near as much the entire reason Windows has as much staying power in corporate/business networks.

Every single time I have to apply settings or similar to deployed applications that use files I completely loath it, and it has nothing to do with not being able to do what is required it's just entirely unnecessary.

Every time I hear complaints about registry and how it breaks is a person who is blaming the wrong thing. I don't think I've ever come across an actual registry problem or registry corruption in 2 decades, problems are 99.99% of the time at the application layer. Having to do delete or modify a registry setting to change or unbreak an application is not a registry issue, that's a broken application not handling it's own stuff properly.

If you crash a car on a perfectly good road, don't go blaming the road.

I have come across registery breaking issues but then again that has basically always been due to people using those registery cleaners. So an issue old as time :p.

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I like the pringles backround

Hyperbolic paraboloids

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Having to do delete or modify a registry setting to change or unbreak an application is not a registry issue, that's a broken application not handling it's own stuff properly.

What do you do when Microsoft itself is the source of the broken application? I vote for registry isolation (which doesn't necessarily mean admins won't be able to propagate their settings). 

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I have come across registery breaking issues but then again that has basically always been due to people using those registery cleaners. So an issue old as time :p.

tbh I wish Microsoft AppLocker (or equiv) blocked those to death. Not only do they not actually do anything beneficial if they actually manage to do anything at all it's break something. They really are the Windows equivalent of placebo medication. I'd compare it to homeopathy but registry cleaners actually do "something".

2 minutes ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

What do you do when Microsoft itself is the source of the broken application? I vote for registry isolation (which doesn't necessarily mean admins won't be able to propagate their settings). 

Well Microsoft is the source of many broken applications but the only real fix is for the issue to get fixed within the application which we don't have any control or ability to do.

Edit:

And to be clear this is no different issue than deleting settings files or what ever else. It's just a choice of where to do it and I'll always vote registry.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

tbh I wish Microsoft AppLocker (or equiv) blocked those to death. Not only do that not actually do anything beneficial if they actually manage to do anything at all it's break something. They really are the Windows equivalent of placebo medication. I'd compare it to homeopathy but registry cleaners actually do "something".

spacer.png

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X DD XXX OC

UnRAID #1: Intel E5-2697v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 48GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: Lenovo M93P Tiny: i7 4950HQ, 16GB DDR3 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

14 minutes ago, 2DPrinter said:

Next week (the 24th to be exact), Microsoft will officially release the new OS in beta (in development) state. 

You'll get the latest build (so the latest feature/changes) and support.

Expect weekly releases from that point on.

All you'll need to do is go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Insider Program and join, and pick "Dev Channel". The new version will be delivered via Windows Update soon after.

So, all to say, I strongly recommend waiting a few days, and not try and find some old ISO somewhere, only to wipe it (assuming it is installed on your PC natively, and not VM), clean install Windows 10 back, and switch to the Insider program.

If you are using a VM, then you are not getting a proper experience, like all OS's running on any VM that isn't a low level one like Hyper-V (and you'll need driver support, including GPU). Basically, not worth it, just wait.

Just now, leadeater said:

Well Microsoft is the source of many broken applications but the only real fix is for the issue to get fixed within the application which we don't have any control or ability to do.

But if you isolate the issue from the central registry, you can simply delete the isolated hive and replace with the new less borked version, which usually is more than enough.

13 minutes ago, 2DPrinter said:

I'm literally typing this message from Windows 11 😉

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

20 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

Same, but haven't complained about it because it's obviously not finished. There's no multi-monitor taskbar setting either, which would be kinda sus if it was intended for an OS that has its roots on a dual screen device 😄 

Regarding registry, user settings etc... Yep, kinda up to the developer to clean up, or at least give an option to (the whole point of them being kept is often actually an advantage).

On Mac OS for example everything always stays unless there's a specific uninstaller for a given app (the standard way of "uninstalling" an app is to drag it from Applications to the trash, but that clears absolutely nothing of its data or preferences).

The other approach is iOS containerized one where deleting an app ALWAYS deletes all its data, which is a huge pain in itself. IMO Windows' compromise is the best.

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX3080, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

GPD Win 2

15 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I've ever come across an actual registry problem or registry corruption in 2 decade

Only came across one issue once myself. My friends user account on his XP machine disappeared. Seems the part of the registry that deals with user accounts got corrupted. But there has not been any other issues.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

6 minutes ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

But if you isolate the issue from the central registry, you can simply delete the isolated hive and replace with the new less borked version, which usually is more than enough.

Oh yes I agree with your point about sandboxed registries for applications, even better if they are portable both at the system layer settings and at the user layer.

Well I just took both the blue pill and the red pill together....

For shits and giggles I just joined the dev ring of the insider program on Windows 11, about to reboot, wish me luck 😬

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

16 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I greatly, greatly prefer all applications including 3rd party use registry for as many settings as possible.

Every time I hear complaints about registry and how it breaks is a person who is blaming the wrong thing. I don't think I've ever come across an actual registry problem or registry corruption in 2 decades, problems are 99.99% of the time at the application layer. 

We're going to have to 100% agree to disagree on this.

My job is to fix problems. Since Windows 95, I've seen countless botched application upgrades or uninstalls that left the system in indeterminate state regarding aforementioned functionality. If I'm not having to use uninstall and cleanup utilities, coded and provided by the vendors (mainly applicable to security software suites), I'm either having to spam the Regedit with F3 for manual cleanup, or reinstalling the OS.

My most recent frustration involves user profile hives where O365 apps screw up Modern Authentication to where you have to clean that up in the registry or delete the local profile (not files, but their reg hive too).

16 minutes ago, StDragon said:

(mainly applicable to security software suites)

Yes well they are literally the worst offenders in existence since forever in time, like I said application issue.

It wouldn't matter if they wrote to registry, file, SQLite, JSON, YAML, I can guarantee if they couldn't do it properly to registry they couldn't do it to any of these other ways without the same issue. The only real benefit to the other ways are being able to more quickly delete the entire thing, that's it. Still the application at fault not the tool used to store the settings.

I don't know if you've ever had to use eTrust antivirus but oh boy that's the biggest pile of garbage ever made and next to impossible to cleanly uninstall.

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

Yes well they are literally the worst offenders in the existence since forever in time, like I said application issue.

I don't know if you've ever had to use eTrust antivirus but oh boy that's the biggest pile of garbage ever made and next to impossible to cleanly uninstall.

This discussion reminds me about a thing I did when I was a small child:

I thought that just searching in explorer for the program and deleting the files that was in folders that came up there, was to uninstall them. It obviously became a mess and eventually learned from it.

This not a thing I am proud of...

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking