Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Windows 11 leak [General megathread]

Message added by Spotty,

Do not take this as an opportunity to post inflammatory remarks over operating systems or to argue over which operating system is the best. Treat others with respect, be excellent to each other and don't be a dick.

Discussing the news of the leak and the features that are present in it is fine but we do not allow distribution of copyrighted software, including linking to third party download sites. Do not post guides or links to download or otherwise obtain the leaked copy of Windows 11.

Posted (edited)

please hope to god this is not the new UI for "Windows 11"

and why, why is the start menu like that.

windows11leak.jpg

Edited by LogicalDrm
Clarified title

|| My Gaming and Video Editing PC ||

CPU - Intel Core i5-9400F | Motherboard - Gigabyte AORUS Z390 Pro WIFI | RAM - 16 GB DDR4 GPU - NVIDA GTX 1650, 4 GB VRAM , NVIDIA RTX 3060 ti or 3070 when back in stock. lol NVIDIA stock | Case - Corsiar Spec 05 Carbide | Storage -  2x WD Blue 500GB HDD,1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 1x WD 250GB Blue 3D NAND SSD(OS Drive), 1x 160GB Intel SSD(APPS) | PSU - EVGA 400W | Display(s) - LG 75hz 1080p Gaming Monitor with AMD FreeSync | Keyboard - Razer Cynosia Chroma 

Mouse - Logitech G502 | Operating System - Windows 10 Pro (x64 bit) | CPU Cooler - Deepcool GAMMAXX L120T RED AIO

||My Laptop - Acer Swift 3 ||

CPU - Intel Core i5 8250U | Motherboard - Acer Motherboard | RAM -  8 GB | GPU - Intel UHD Graphics 620 Storage - 256 GB SSD Display - 1080p 60hz Display

CPU Cooler - Acer Laptop Air Cooler

Looks like settings are a thing, who'd have thought. 

VirtualBox_W11_15_06_2021_20_16_40.thumb.png.1977bcba2bedec7bf76fc201eee2b93a.png

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX3080, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

GPD Win 2

Would be nice if they went down a more customisable route. 

Think MS learnt their lesson on going for overly tablet/mobile focused design with WIndows 8 (hopefully)

4 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

VirtualBox_W11_15_06_2021_20_16_40.thumb.png.1977bcba2bedec7bf76fc201eee2b93a.png

how make windows 10 look like this though

lets assume this is real… the problem is its stuff i dont want in my os, edge, store, calendar, mail… let me remove this stuff, not just hide, remove and we're talking…

Also  seeing "action center" well alive, even though there is *already* a "settings" option.  Thats just what ms would do, doubling down on one of the biggest complains people have…

The start menu doesnt bother me per say, but its still very old fashioned and clunky…

That thing should be the center piece, interactive, and only move aside (or bottom) if its in the way…  just a massive waste of space having small icons at the bottom while rest of the screen is (technically) empty.

No innovation whatsoever, seems legit to me therefore . : p

✪Ryzen 3600✪RTX3070✪B350✪

✪Trident Z 3600 16-16-16-36✪

✪Noctua U12S Chromax✪

5 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

well... to be fair ; Windows 8 had no start button 😉

So, you never know! 😛

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

VPN server guide

Introduction to Mechanical Keyboard

Spoiler

My Gaming Rig - Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO CPU: i7-8700 RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400(4x8GB) GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB OS SSD: 512GB SU800 SSD Storage: 2x 1TB Seagate PSU: Seasonic G650 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bits Monitor: Acer 21in G205H + Lenovo 21in

Not a fan of that look, but the people saying Windows is shit are just idiots. Is it perfect? Of course not, but name an OS that is (and I'll proceed to laugh at you). What it is though is a solid feature packed OS and frankly nothing comes close to touching it for desktop productivity or gaming (server/data center use is a different story).

Even as a developer, I'd take Windows in a heartbeat over Linux or Mac OS X. With things like WSL2, it can do everything those can do and more.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

well... to be fair ; Windows 8 had no start button 😉

So, you never know! 😛

And Server 2012 had no "logoff" button for quite a while either.  

Lemme tell you, RDP sucked for a while!  

Just now, tkitch said:

And Server 2012 had no "logoff" button for quite a while either.  

Lemme tell you, RDP sucked for a while!  

ah shit, yeah, forgot about that !

I had a shortcut for that and forgot it was a thing ! lol

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

VPN server guide

Introduction to Mechanical Keyboard

Spoiler

My Gaming Rig - Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO CPU: i7-8700 RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400(4x8GB) GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB OS SSD: 512GB SU800 SSD Storage: 2x 1TB Seagate PSU: Seasonic G650 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bits Monitor: Acer 21in G205H + Lenovo 21in

so they dropped 10X to rename it into 11? aight.

My guess is it's gonna be like Deepin on linux with two modes - macOS-like and win10-like

5 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

lets assume this is real… the problem is its stuff i dont want in my os, edge, store, calendar, mail… let me remove this stuff, not just hide, remove and we're talking…

Also  seeing "action center" well alive, even though there is *already* a "settings" option.  Thats just what ms would do, doubling down on one of the biggest complains people have…

The start menu doesnt bother me per say, but its still very old fashioned and clunky…

That thing should be the center piece, interactive, and only move aside (or bottom) if its in the way…  just a massive waste of space having small icons at the bottom while rest of the screen is (technically) empty.

No innovation whatsoever, seems legit to me therefore . : p

If its real, i agree, microsoft really doubled down on unnecessary things people didn't want. Especially with the start menu, it's still way too clunky, tiles were awful so they just made the start menu bar huge with gigantic icons.

16 minutes ago, Slottr said:

People want progress but hate change

1 step forward and 2 steps back isn't progress.

21 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Not a fan of that look, but the people saying Windows is shit are just idiots. 

What it is though is a solid feature packed OS and frankly nothing comes close to touching it for desktop productivity or gaming.

I contest that claim.

Firstly I believe that an OS shouldn't be "feature packed" - it's the basis, which the user's chosen additional software runs on top of. You say "feature-packed", I say "bloated".

Secondly, it is now around 2 years since I tentatively installed Ubuntu in dual-boot on my laptop, never intending to switch to it fully. It's about 6 months since I realised Windows was taking up 80GB of my hard disk space for no good reason, and removed it. The only reason I had booted into Windows in that entire year was to run one very specific piece of software which I didn't really need or use that much anyway.

Why did I never use Windows? Well, I am hugely more productive on Linux than Windows. The reason is that Windows is now a profiteering vehicle for Microsoft. Anywhere they can find some way to squeeze an extra bit of money - in the form of ad revenue, user data, or upselling - from the user, they do. It is so refreshing that my operating system updates when I tell it to, only sends me push notifcations that I want, and allows me to make whatever tweaks I want without completely screwing up all the time.

Now I'm not delusional. Linux isn't for everyone. But neither is Windows, and frankly, if you call me an idiot for preferring a system which respects my freedom and choice and just works better for me in every way, you should be considering who actually is the idiot here.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Posted (edited)

Yeah, so you set the location to Left instead of Middle. Big deal...

Really people overblow it, it's not a "whole new OS", it's Win10 with a slightly refreshed taskbar / Start menu / theme... 

Edited by Spotty
F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX3080, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

I actually do not hate it, I wonder / bet you that you will be able to move the icons around and not have them centered.

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Yeah, so you set the location to Left instead of Middle. Big deal...

Really people overblow it, it's not a "whole new OS", it's Win10 with a slightly refreshed taskbar / Start menu / theme... 

The issue with this is the start menu would probably be in the center as default, because microsoft. That would become a problem for any average user that doesn't go looking around in settings how to change it, and it's MS trying to fix stuff that isn't broken as usual.

I'm just hoping MS doesn't sell this as a new version for $100, or even worse go to the Office365 selling model of charging every year.

Part of me likes the new look, part of me despises it. I'll assume these are real but I hope MS come out with something different next week, this just looks too restrictive for them to replace Windows 10 with.

That said, it reminds me of some Linux distros I tried, and in that respect I like it - a nice clean look.

It also reminds me heavily of 10X and 8, OSes that were massively restricted, and I certainly do not want to replace my copies of 10 with something locked down.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

2 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

The issue with this is the start menu would probably be in the center as default, because microsoft. That would become a problem for any average user that doesn't go looking around in settings how to change it

I mean there are many defaults in Win10 that I change straight away as well and "couldn't imagine how people would want that", yet they're fine with it so no different here.

2 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

and it's MS trying to fix stuff that isn't broken as usual.

Eh it's called fashion, the others do it too. 

F@H

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

zero progress lol

They have made a lot of progress: After years of not dealing with broken updates and bluescreens Windows 10 finally brought back that experience.

Also how dare are you to not call the new system settings progress (thankfully the old control center is still there)?

I don't hate it.
But it's giving me some real Windows 8 Vibes, it looks like they just made a bunch of UI elements (mainly the start menu and taskbar) even larger.
IMO the start menu was already to damn big, I actually like Windows 10's start menu once you disable all the stupid tiles.

I don't have a problem with the Icons, except the start menu button looks odd. It seems too big along with the search button but like it's not larger than the other icons.... idk.

Also the new OOBE looks way better (if only it was dark mode).

Just really hoping they don't shove Microsoft account login down your throat constantly during setup like they do on 10 but I doubt it, wouldn't be surprised if it's required on Home/Pro editions (or you could just not connect to the internet).

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

I mean there are many defaults in Win10 that I change straight away as well and "couldn't imagine how people would want that"

I still don't know why they don't show file extensions by default!
Like that is actually a security risk, an EXE file with the name 'Picture' and a fake thumbnail really looks the same as a Picture named 'Picture'....

why no dark mode?
Current:
Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ Up to 5.1GHz 
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W) @ 2040MHz
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200Mhz

Storage: 512GB PRO-X-G2R NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD, 4TB WD Passport USB-C
Displays: IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Acer Predator CG437K 4k@120Hz (G-Sync)

Dell Poweredge R720 (Server):
CPUs: 2x Xeon E5-2667v2 @ 3.6Ghz all cores
RAM: 120GB (15x8GB) @ 1333Mhz

GPU: 2x Nvidia Tesla M40 @ 1225Mhz

Storage: 1x Intel 160GB SATA III SSD, 15x Seagate SAS Enterprise 1TB HDD in RAID 6

Temporary Mining Rig:
CPU: FX-6300 @ 3.5GHz all cores
GPU: RX 480 4GB, GTX 1060 6GB, GTX 1070

Old:

Eluktronics Mech-17 G1Rx (Died :(, sold for parts)
Custom SFF AMD Sleeper (Parted out and sold/sent to friends)
Dell Precision M6700 (both GPUs died, among other issues, officially shelved for now...)

28 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

but name an OS that is

Justin Bieber Linux.

You literally can't refute this.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

4 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

I mean there are many defaults in Win10 that I change straight away as well and "couldn't imagine how people would want that", yet they're fine with it so no different here.

Theres plenty of things that shouldn't be default in Windows 10, like all the tiles crap, too many background apps taking up resources, news by default on in the search window which takes up data if you have limited data.

The point is MS didn't listen and made the OS less easy to use.

7 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Eh it's called fashion, the others do it too. 

I'm not someone to discuss fashion then lol, I wear whats comfortable, not to impress anyone with something flashy or whatever brand is popular.