Cant figure out installing Debian to dual boot

to make it short im installing to a partition and after install and reboot it just puts me to a blank screen with blinking cursor (not the terminal, literally just the cursor)

the long story is im runnin a lenovo ideapad 5 (Ryzen 5 4500U) as a server at home for 

NAS purposes via a usb 3 harddrive cage

magicmirror server

mqtt server

pihole

etc...

and hopefully soon home assistant and zoneminder.

but since those rely on accessing other devices on the network the stupid docker bridge under windows wont do (or i havent figure out  how) and everyone kept pointing to setting docker network mode to "host" which doesnt work under windows so im trying for the first time iin my life besides raspbian to install linux more specifically debian since everyone on the home asssitant forum recommended it 

made a partition of roughly 28gb which is the max that windows will allow me

and installed debian from a usb stick

after reboot it shows the boot manager or whatever 

and when selecting debian it load a bunch of stuff and then jumps to a blank black screen with a cursor.

basically how do i get to a graphical linux os that i can install all my shit onto?

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

9 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

and when selecting debian it load a bunch of stuff

Define "a bunch of stuff"

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Define "a bunch of stuff"

idk went by to fast but i recognise it from pis when booting 

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Just now, cluelessgenius said:

idk went by to fast but i recognise it from pis when booting

So the system is booting, it's just failing to load the GUI. It might be a graphics driver issue... try logging in to a tty by pressing ctrl+alt+F2

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

8 minutes ago, Sauron said:

So the system is booting, it's just failing to load the GUI. It might be a graphics driver issue... try logging in to a tty by pressing ctrl+alt+F2

ok that worked.now iim in tty2. sooo do i need to load a driver? or did i do something else wrong during install im just not sure what to do here next

1 hour ago, cluelessgenius said:

ok that worked.now iim in tty2. sooo do i need to load a driver? or did i do something else wrong during install im just not sure what to do here next

Start by installing the gpu driver and rebooting https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-the-latest-amd-drivers-on-debian-10-buster

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

12 hours ago, Sauron said:

alright. did that successfully. changed nothin

@Sauronso i got frustrated, switched to ubuntu and it worked right away

• 4 weeks later...

i now its a bit late now....

but i wonder which debian install you picked to put on the USB drive??

choices go something like

Free Drivers only

- net-install

- minimal install

- desktops included 

Debian + non free Drivers

- net-install

- minimal install

- desktops included

reason i ask is because it sounds like you forgot to select a desktop during the package selection process or forgot to add the login manager to the desktop.

you can install a desktop but you do have to make sure its selected (during package selection ) otherwise you end up with only the core system (command line )

if you installed the desktop without a log-in manager it used to be as simple as " startx " been awhile not sure if that has changed.

current main system: as of 1st Jan 2023

motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

ram : 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz

Video Card : RX 550 4 GIG

Monitor: BENQ 21 inch