Is PC Gaming Worth it Even at MSRP Right Now?

wassup

@wassup

Your font was edited for improved readability. Please only use colors and other styles to emphasize ("pop up") parts of your post. In this case, bright orange color could be hard to read for those using Day Theme.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 6/15/2021 at 7:37 PM, Alvin853 said:

The two are really hard to compare on prices, for two reasons:
When you build a gaming PC, the MSRP includes margins for everyone involved in the supply chain. So spending $500 MSRP on hardware, that hardware probably is $200 to manufacture. With a console, not only are there less people involved in the supply chain, but also manufacturers are known to sell them with very low margins or even at a loss to get users into their ecosystem, so for a $500 console you might be getting $400 worth of hardware. 

But then you also have to buy games to play. Not only can I still play games on my PC I purchased 15 years ago, new games are typically also cheaper on PC than on console. So for me it's not so much about the price of the hardware, but also about the price of let's say 5 years worth of games. That's where the PC makes up for the higher up-front costs for hardware. 

Totally overlooked comment but IMO by far the most informative and straight on to the point.

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

I prefer playing at higher graphic details

I've seen console running monster hunter world, the graphic details are really lacking, and it's only at 30 fps

I can't even play the game at 60, it feels stuttery, though I may just be spoilt

There are some mechanics that can't be done at 30 fps too, so rip console users

Overall I think "worth" is hard to justify since it differs from person to person, but I personally think it's worth it, especially since I do more than just gaming on my PC

As for cost, I mined on my old PC to afford my current PC, so it's basically free

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

As another Poster said: You don't need $2,000 to spend on a Gaming PC.

On 6/15/2021 at 12:37 PM, Alvin853 said:

for a $500 console you might be getting $400 worth of hardware. 

Sometimes its more than 500$, it decreases in cost over time though. 

Ms said they never made anything off a Xbox in court recently, and before have said they operate on negerive margins.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

On 6/15/2021 at 12:19 PM, wassup said:

Hopefully a little more competition gives u  better price and supply. I'll wait for DG2. Luckily I don't do much on my PC besides gaming, so my console will do me just fine   

Why are so many people waiting for dg2? Intels best shots for a igpu based off the same thing are absolutely shit on by and apus that have msrps of less than half of the best Intel igpus.

The Vega 3 in 3000g will match the uhd750 in the 11900k, a cpu that costs 1/11 (1/9 if you get the 11900k at it's normal sale prices) at this point, there's no reason to believe the dg2 will be any good at all.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Knowing friends is upgrading their gear now..

3600 r5 cpu for 250

3600mhz ram for 200

a2000 1tb for 120

rtx 3070 ti for 760

b550-f for 200

1530 ish for a decent computer? ($)

Planning on re-use my sisters case.

More:

Knowing my sister runs a FX-8350 and a RX 570 or 580.. Should be a decent upgrade.

Now this being for my sister above.. Shouldnt be too hard?

Doesnt look too bad if we get the GPU (3070Ti) when it comes into norway..

The EAGLE slash TUF is sold 40% cheaper than the other 70/ti cards so..

Good stuff.

Edited by MultiGamerClub
Damn.. Cases isnt even cheap novadays for decent airflow.. oof.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD