Is PC Gaming Worth it Even at MSRP Right Now?

wassup

I have recently been seeing everyone talk about how building a computer at the moment sucks due to the current market situation, but I have started to think that building a PC wouldn't be worth it even in ideal market conditions. Most people can generally agree that the 3060 is a 1440p gaming card, yet this is power that consoles today are easily able to replicate. The PS5 and Series X can do 4k at 60 fps and 120 at 1440p, and even if you want to argue that it is not true 4k, most people can't tell the difference, especially considering that 70% of steam gamers play at 1080p. A 3060 has an MSRP of 330 dollars, which makes it almost the same price as a ps5 alone. And GPUS at this price used to be way better than their console counterpart. This price difference would make sense back then, as the 330 dollar GTX 970 would easily do 1080 60fpss with any game at the time, meanwhile consoles like the p4 would only do 900p 30. So why has the gap in performance apparently closed between thee two platforms?

Edited by LogicalDrm
Font fixed for readability

My PC will shit on any console in literally every single aspect.

especially in terms of using other applications such as CAD programs, photoshop, microsoft office products, discord, literally anything.

So yeah, its worth it.  Consoles today perform well but are still nowhere near as modular and usable as a PC.

Ryzen 9 5900x CPU

Asus Dual 3070 + EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3070 GPU(S)

Asus ROG Strix B550-F Motherboard

Corsair Dominator 16x2 3600mhz RAM

Corsair H100x AIO

Rosewill S500 Case

Thermaltake RIING 12 fans (4)

I've always built my PCs, but with scalpers and the market right now, I'd say going with a reputiable prebuilt company isn't so bad either. Yes it might take longer for them to get lead time on parts, but you'd be guaranteed a PC.

GAMING RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5800X3D

MOBO: ASUS TUF Gaming X570 PLUS (Wi-Fi)

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 3600MHz

GPU: PowerColor Fighter RX 6700 XT

STORAGE: 500GB Crucial MX500 M.2 (Boot Drive) / 500GB Crucial SATA / 1TB WD HDD

CASE: Dimas Tech EasyBench V3.0

VR RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5700x

MOBO: MSI B550 Gaming GEN3

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 3600MHz

GPU: Zotac AMP! 2080 Super

STORAGE: 250GB ADATA SSD / 500GB WD Blue SSD / 1TB WD Blue HD

Just now, wassup said:

So why ha the gap in performance apparently closed between thee two platforms?

We can make far faster GPUs at similar price points. 

The PS4 released in 2013. The '60 card then was the GTX 760, at $249 MSRP ($287.83 in current dollars). Compare that card's performance to the RTX 3060 now, at a slightly higher $329. 

The latest of the beefy last gen consoles, the Xbox One X, released in 2017, between the 1060 ($299 in 2016) and 2060 ($349 in 2018), both of which are slower than the 3060 yet land around the same MSRP. 

7 minutes ago, wassup said:

but I have started to think that building a PC wouldn't be worth it even in ideal market conditions.

There's no obligation to build a PC if everything you want out of a gaming machine is offered by consoles. Most people who build PCs are looking for functionality consoles do not have, or for a performance level consoles have not hit yet, so for them it is worth it. I originally got into PCs because I wanted to heavily mod various singleplayer games, which you can't really do on console (or if you can they're typically lower quality mods).

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

If you're talking strictly about building a computer just for gaming, and you are literally not going to do anything else with it, then yeah, it doesn't make much sense at this point.

That said, there's many games that are only available on PC or just work better on PC, so if you're playing something like that, you don't have much of a choice.

This also only holds up when compared against the next gen consoles. With even the previous gen, PC gaming had a huge margin over what console could offer. That will eventually be the case again. Consoles are competitive because they're using latest gen hardware right now. You can upgrade your GPU in a few years when there's something better. You can't do that with a console.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

5 minutes ago, Beyond_The_Berm said:

especially in terms of using other applications such as CAD programs, photoshop, microsoft office products, discord, literally anything.

So yeah, its worth it.  Consoles today perform well but are still nowhere near as modular and usable as a PC.

Yeah, but this is dodging nearly every point made. It does have more applications, but it can cost 2x or 2.5x more. And also, the gaming performance is pretty much indistinguishable 

Sure if you want to do stuff with the PC too it's a nobrainer, but if it is only for gaming it becomes a different question.

So if you say you can't see the difference (or not much of it) between a 3060 and a console than that 3060 is overkill and you should look at a lower budget PC.

At this point you have to decide what games you want to play and where those are available.

Consoles have pretty much always been somewhat competitive with low end gaming PCs eversince the 1st Playstation (maybe even sooner), what did change that both will play the same kind of games (if not the same titles) and that TVs and monitors are just different sizes of the same thing, something which hasn't been true since back when a "gaming monitor" would have meant something like a C= 1084 🤨

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

We can make far faster GPUs at similar price points. 

The PS4 released in 2013. The '60 card then was the GTX 760, at $249 MSRP ($287.83 in current dollars). Compare that card's performance to the RTX 3060 now, at a slightly higher $329. 

The latest of the beefy last gen consoles, the Xbox One X, released in 2017, between the 1060 ($299 in 2016) and 2060 ($349 in 2018), both of which are slower than the 3060 yet land around the same MSRP. 

There's no obligation to build a PC if everything you want out of a gaming machine is offered by consoles. Most people who build PCs are looking for functionality consoles do not have, or for a performance level consoles have not hit yet, so for them it is worth it. I originally got into PCs because I wanted to heavily mod various singleplayer games, which you can't really do on console (or if you can they're typically lower quality mods).

Firstly, despite the different names, the 3060 is a direct follow-up to the 770, and not the 760 due to msrp changes. Second, the series x is the latest console, and it competes fairly well in gaming  

2 minutes ago, Kronoton said:

Sure if you want to do stuff with the PC too it's a nobrainer, but if it is only for gaming it becomes a different question.

So if you say you can't see the difference (or not much of it) between a 3060 and a console than that 3060 is overkill and you should look at a lower budget PC.

At this point you have to decide what games you want to play and where those are available.

Consoles have pretty much always been somewhat competitive with low end gaming PCs eversince the 1st Playstation (maybe even sooner), what did change that both will play the same kind of games (if not the same titles) and that TVs and monitors are just different sizes of the same thing, something which hasn't been true since back when a "gaming monitor" would have meant something like a C= 1084 🤨

My guess is that consoles have gotten better hardware/price in recent years since sony and xbox make most of their money from gaming service such as game pass. 

1 minute ago, wassup said:

Firstly, despite the different names, the 3060 is a direct follow-up to the 770, and not the 760 due to msrp changes.

770 was $399 in 2013, so $461.07 today, more expensive than the 3060. So heck, far faster card at what's actually a lower price point.

Also they typically sell consoles at a loss or just breaking even, making actual profit off their various services and their cut from game sales and such. Combo of the way they profit being different + faster cards for less money due to technical progress = they can fit a lot into a console at a lower price than an equivalent PC. 

1 minute ago, wassup said:

Second, the series x is the latest console, and it competes fairly well in gaming  

Xbox One X. Not Xbox Series X. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

So, if you're just doing gaming, and not trying for "competative" gaming?  Get a console.  End of story.

But yeah, at MSRP, gaming is fine today on a PC.  You don't need a 2000$ PC to game.  

19 minutes ago, Beyond_The_Berm said:

He's asking about gaming.  If you can build a $500 gaming PC that beats a console....no.

At retail MSRP, your machine cost what?  $1500 - $2000?  it better shit on consoles for 3x-4x the price.

Keep things in perspective.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh C / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Just now, tkitch said:

So, if you're just doing gaming, and not trying for "competative" gaming?  Get a console.  End of story.

But yeah, at MSRP, gaming is fine today on a PC.  You don't need a 2000$ PC to game.  

Hopefully a little more competition gives u  better price and supply. I'll wait for DG2. Luckily I don't do much on my PC besides gaming, so my console will do me just fine   

11 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

He's asking about gaming.  If you can build a $500 gaming PC that beats a console....no.

The two are really hard to compare on prices, for two reasons:
When you build a gaming PC, the MSRP includes margins for everyone involved in the supply chain. So spending $500 MSRP on hardware, that hardware probably is $200 to manufacture. With a console, not only are there less people involved in the supply chain, but also manufacturers are known to sell them with very low margins or even at a loss to get users into their ecosystem, so for a $500 console you might be getting $400 worth of hardware. 

But then you also have to buy games to play. Not only can I still play games on my PC I purchased 15 years ago, new games are typically also cheaper on PC than on console. So for me it's not so much about the price of the hardware, but also about the price of let's say 5 years worth of games. That's where the PC makes up for the higher up-front costs for hardware. 

You are focusing only on gaming performance and not what a lot of people choose to use their computers for. Can you create content using Adobe Premiere Pro on a console? Can you use Blender? Can you do office work, schoolwork, and use the Microsoft Office suite for documents, spreadsheets, and slideshows?

Or how about having access to an expansive library of games spreading across over a decade that are, in many cases, significantly cheaper than what consoles have to offer?

Computers aren't just gaming machines. Even purpose built gaming computers don't just play games and nothing more. If that were true, we'd all go out and buy PS5's and Xbox Series X consoles because they're a better value when all you want to do is play games. Though if you rack up free online, cheaper games, productivity usability, web browsing, the versatility of a keyboard and mouse, it becomes worth it to many to pay over double what a console costs. Modding games is a huge thing as well.

And, to ask if something is "worth it" in a generalized way doesn't make any sense. That's not a question with a single answer. Whether or not it's worth it is for every individual person to decide for themselves. It all depends what the user wants in a personal machine.

Consoles are cheaper, and will always be cheaper because they are restricted and can only do what they are made to do... play games. The profit margins on consoles are also quite thin. A computer can be endlessly customized and upgraded for years to come without having to purchase a completely new platform. Though of course after 8-10 years, a new platform will be required. A computer can be used as long as it will run Windows, whilst a console will eventually go obsolete and no longer receive support of any kind.

1 hour ago, wassup said:

Yeah, but this is dodging nearly every point made. It does have more applications, but it can cost 2x or 2.5x more. And also, the gaming performance is pretty much indistinguishable 

looks like you made up your answer all on your own then.  IMO even costing 3x as much, a PC is a notable improvement over console.  Especially for those not looking to push frames and win games lol.

Ryzen 9 5900x CPU

Corsair H100x AIO

Rosewill S500 Case

2 hours ago, Beyond_The_Berm said:

What about in keeping hackers out your online games?

20 minutes ago, Amias said:

What about in keeping hackers out your online games?

Seeing as that one is up to the game developers...we are all taking that L.

Ryzen 9 5900x CPU

Corsair H100x AIO

Rosewill S500 Case

If all you want to do, is play games. Maybe not. A console will always be "kind" as far as gaming and price to obtain it. Especially if you get the console used a few years down the line when all the games you could possibly want are already out.

But a PC can do a lot more than just "play games". Hence the price.
-You can mod said games.
-You can play online without having to pay anyone other than your ISP for that privilege. (Just this alone can save you quite a bit of money over the years)
-You can stream, edit and record videos (I know you can stream on console these days as well, but it's basic stuff, far from what you can do on a PC)
-You can browse the internet in a quick and easy way (granted, you have your phone for that, too).

-Have access to the ENTIRE PC games library since its inception. Backward compatibility! (And virtual machines when its not working). Not to mention console emulators.

-Have your choice of input. Don't want to play with an Xbox controller? You can use a Playstation controller! Want neither? There's the option for that too.

-PC VR is superior in everyway compared to VR on console.

-Ample choice for storefronts. Games are typically cheaper on PC on release as well (and if not, you can always go through the grey market, even if people don't like that).
-All of the PC softwares you might want to use, different browser, adblocking extensions, word processor, can do actual work on it.
-Can be kept for years and years, only requiring maybe a GPU upgrade within the next 10 years.

And if you don't want to spend thousand on a PC just for games, you can get dirt cheap PC with a cloud gaming subscription from Xbox Live or whoever else.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

It depends honestly.

For instance i am broke,i just cant afford any kind of gaming pc,not even a budget one.

So i opted for Xbox series S.For 300 euros, i am able to play games that i want.

The games are much more expensive compared to PC,thats true,but if you are patient there are sale's each week and if you are lucky the game you want to buy is there.

Also keep in mind what kind of games do you want to play.I am fan of survival games,and in that case games like banished,The Forest,The infected are on pc and i cant play them on my Xbox.

But games like Warzone,RDR2,AC series are running great,without lag on a 300euro console.

There is no question that a PC will be better since there is much more choice game wise,and there are mods that you can use to improve your gaming experience,you can upgrade your storage for cheaper,much more customizable,cheaper games,usable for other things.

But if you dont have 1-1.5k to afford proper PC,then its not bad to buy a console if you are looking something just for gaming.

5 hours ago, wassup said:

I'd say it's worse than 2-2.5x.  I paid CAD$1099 for an RTX 3080, meanwhile a PS5 Digital goes for CAD$499.  And that's *just* the 3080, you'd still have to buy a whole rest of the computer.

I love my PC, yes my PC is way more powerful than current game consoles, but it's also expensive AF compared to a console.  If someone just wants 'a stupid black box that games come out of' a console is a perfectly valid option.  Yes yes, 'you can mod and tweak your PC games!' but lots of people don't care for that and even hate tinkering.  They work or go to school all day and just want to chill on the couch with video game entertainment instead of trying to figure why the RealTek drivers are conflicting with the SoundBlaster drivers.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

Well depends what you mean, Mainstream cards (1650,1660 etc) haven't existed in shops for 6 months so I couldn't judge what there MSRP is at the moment. The 30 series cards don't seem to be a good value at MSRPt given both Nvidia and the Board Partners are inflating prices as much as they can. If you could get a 1650 for $200 or 1660 Super for $250 then it would be but having not seen any for sale I don't know whether that is what they will be sold for. The Ebay prices are double that and if the Board partners inflate their prices believing people will pay more then the whole GPU market would likely make it not worth it. 

yes if you get a good deal

Main Pc: CPU: ryzen 5 5600x  Motherboard: Msi b450 gaming plus max  RAM: 32gb corsair vengeance ddr4 3200mhz ram  GPU: Nvidia rtx 2070 SUPER 8gb Case:  cooler master td500   PSU: corsair 750watt bronze80+  Cooling: Kraken x53 aio Storagewdblack snd750,3tb wd blue hdd

2nd Pc: CPU: ryzen 5 3600 Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-Gaming 3  RAM: 16gb 3000mhz gskill Aegis  GPU: Nvidia gtx 1650super 4gb  Case: Cooler Master MasterBox MB311L ARGB Airflow PSU: corsair cx 550watt 80+ bronze Cooling: Vetroo V5 CPU Air Cooler Storage: adata su635 240gb ssd, seagate 750gb 7200rpm hdd

3rd pc CPU: i7 2600 Motherboard: asus H61M-E  RAM: 16 gb ddr3 1333mhz GPU: nvidia gtx 1060 3gb Case: thermaltake versa h18 PSU: evga 450watt 80+ bronze Cooling: Cooler Master I70C (Copper Core) Mini CPU Cooler Storage: crucial mx 500 500gb ssd, wd blue 1tb 7200rpm hdd 

7 hours ago, wassup said:

current market situation

Depends on where you live.

Norway keeps getting 70 and 90's with a few hundred 80 cards every here and there every so often.

I know there are about 40 to 50 TUF and EAGLE 70 cards coming in, in about 2 weeks.

The problem is bots and people waiting at the DIRECT drop their "released" so they get picked up fast..

But its either 850$ now for the cheaper TUF / EAGLE variant or every fucking other 70 card being priced at 1150$ to 1900$ at the moment 😐

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

This is somewhat part of the PC-console cycle. When new consoles launch, the tech inside them is often similar to midrange PCs, but at a lower price. Then, a year later a new generation of midrange graphics comes out, but the consoles stay the same. Then another year goes by and it happens again, then a few years go by and the same thing happens each year. By the end of 5+ years, the console specs are very dated compared to midrange offerings, and they launch a new console starting the cycle over.