Efficient Air Flow for AIO CPU Cooler

Naveen Anand

I'm upgrading my PC after 13years from air cooling on a Intel Core2Duo E4500.

I'm planning to build a new PC with 10850K and planning for MSI AIO Cooler for CPU.

I'm confused between

Front Mounted Intake Radiator placement and Top Mounted Exhaust Radiator placement.

FYI,

1. I'm not using a discrete GPU as I don't have use for that, as a developer Integrated Graphics might do my job for multi-monitor setup

2. I'm using 360mm Radiator with 3*120mm fan setup

Should I go for Top Mounted or Front Mounted Rad Setup?

2 minutes ago, Naveen Anand said:

I'm upgrading my PC after 13years from air cooling on a Intel Core2Duo E4500.

I'm planning to build a new PC with 10850K and planning for MSI AIO Cooler for CPU.

I'm confused between

Front Mounted Intake Radiator placement and Top Mounted Exhaust Radiator placement.

FYI,

1. I'm not using a discrete GPU as I don't have use for that, as a developer Integrated Graphics might do my job for multi-monitor setup

2. I'm using 360mm Radiator with 3*120mm fan setup

Should I go for Top Mounted or Front Mounted Rad Setup?

there was a interesting video that i watched, i cannot remember who it was by but the positioning had little effect on the gpu (0-2 degrees different) but having the aio as an exhaust resulted in the cpu running 5-10 degrees hotter then when it was setup as an intake 

1 minute ago, WickedStarfish said:

there was a interesting video that i watched, i cannot remember who it was by but the positioning had little effect on the gpu (0-2 degrees different) but having the aio as an exhaust resulted in the cpu running 5-10 degrees hotter then when it was setup as an intake 

yes, I just watched the same video last night and I could get you point, but im seeking on tests of top vs front without GPU, as the heat from GPU might have caused the higher temps on CPU on a exhaust setup,

i think, the 3 fans at the front would intake cold air and try to cool MoBo VRM's, and it might not get higher by a great temps, and the warm air could be exhausted through rad at the top, resulting in, much cold air into the case compared to rad in intake setup

Short answer. Top mounted intake will be best. If not, a front mounted AIO always goes with the tubes down if possible for best performance and longevity.

A 10850K can run pretty hot with 10 cores. I just switched from it because it was overheating with every single cooler I used to a Ryzen 9 5900X and am having different problems 😐

4 minutes ago, ThreeStripes said:

Short answer. Top mounted intake will be best. If not, a front mounted AIO always goes with the tubes down if possible for best performance and longevity.

A 10850K can run pretty hot with 10 cores. I just switched from it because it was overheating with every single cooler I used to a Ryzen 9 5900X and am having different problems 😐

you mean both Front Intake with bare fans and Top Intake with Rad on?

Im planning for a 360mm cooler, what was the temps you were experiencing while you used 10850K in past?

1 minute ago, Naveen Anand said:

you mean both Front Intake with bare fans and Top Intake with Rad on?

Im planning for a 360mm cooler, what was the temps you were experiencing while you used 10850K in past?

Rad and fans as a top intake would be optimal

1 minute ago, ThreeStripes said:

thanks for your sharing @ThreeStripes,I really wanted to know the temps you were getting also your ambient temp?

and I'm not gonna overclock the CPU

Just now, Naveen Anand said:

thanks for your sharing @ThreeStripes,I really wanted to know the temps you were getting also your ambient temp?

Well I used an NH-D15 air cooler with a 21C ambient and temperatures of 60C - 70+ at all times. Now I get 50 - 60 on this ryzen which is normal and with a 240mm Corsair AIO it was the same.

If you're gonna get Z490 or Z590 its not a bad idea to overclock 100mhz to get on-par performance with the 10900K but theres not much of a difference.

That technically voids your warranty but you can always factory reset and send Intel that data from Intel XTU and you can RMA without issues as long as you don't admit to overclocking or ever enabling XMP or overclocking the ram or something.

4 minutes ago, Naveen Anand said:

I tried to RMA the CPU twice with the same problems. So I switched to AMD

2 minutes ago, ThreeStripes said:

I tried to RMA the CPU twice with the same problems. So I switched to AMD

well, I'm living in India, and average temp here in daytime are above 27-30, in some days its more than that too,

I wonder if 10850K could keep up at relatively low temp with 360mm rad to get most efficient out of it, and yes I'm planning to purchase a Z490 MSI MoBo for my 10850K

Just now, Naveen Anand said:

well, I'm living in India, and average temp here in daytime are above 27-30, in some days its more than that too,

I wonder if 10850K could keep up at relatively low temp with 360mm rad to get most efficient out of it, and yes I'm planning to purchase a Z490 MSI MoBo for my 10850K

If you don't 100% need 10 cores you could always go for an i7-10700K or 11700K but if you need 10 cores (or just wanna know that you have them) it should be fine. That CPU is fine with up to 80C from which it should start concerning you. If you get overheating problems just revive this thread and tag me, I'll try and respond. 

If you don't 100% need 10 cores you could always go for an i7-10700K or 11700K but if you need 10 cores (or just wanna know that you have them) it should be fine. That CPU is fine with up to 80C from which it should start concerning you. If you get overheating problems just revive this thread and tag me, I'll try and respond. 

thanks @ThreeStripes

well, I'm professionally a developer and I use Visual Studio, SQL Server, Android Studio, VS Code, Non-SQL Server and also, I might have my browser opened for any reference needed, and also I will be making VM for testing out the applications I make out in real time, so I hope I might need 10 cores and also I was looking for 11700K, but 8 cores in that made me to go back for 10850K

thanks @ThreeStripes

well, I'm professionally a developer and I use Visual Studio, SQL Server, Android Studio, VS Code, Non-SQL Server and also, I might have my browser opened for any reference needed, and also I will be making VM for testing out the applications I make out in real time, so I hope I might need 10 cores and also I was looking for 11700K, but 8 cores in that made me to go back for 10850K

I had 10 cores and needed 12 as I'm also a developer lol

thanks @ThreeStripes

However, I also game so I got an RTX 3080 (which blew up) so I got a 3070

I had 10 cores and needed 12 as I'm also a developer lol

cool, so you have 5900X for your current setup? and works butter smooth at low temps?

I will look at 5900X for now aswell yet, I wanted to stick with Intel, donno the exact reason LOL

12 minutes ago, Naveen Anand said:

cool, so you have 5900X for your current setup? and works butter smooth at low temps?

I will look at 5900X for now aswell yet, I wanted to stick with Intel, donno the exact reason LOL

The 5900X runs very well at normal temps but for some reason it reports 2.04v

It has 12 cores and 24 threads but is pretty similar to that i9 in terms of performance. I need the extra cores tho lmao. I might return this one and go for a Threadripper 1950X tho because thats 16 cores with similar performance and cheaper than the 5950X or 3950X

1 hour ago, EdyDev said:

The 5900X runs very well at normal temps but for some reason it reports 2.04v

It has 12 cores and 24 threads but is pretty similar to that i9 in terms of performance. I need the extra cores tho lmao. I might return this one and go for a Threadripper 1950X tho because thats 16 cores with similar performance and cheaper than the 5950X or 3950X

thanks for your response mate!

On 6/15/2021 at 7:58 PM, Naveen Anand said:

thanks for your response mate!

Did you decide on what you wanna get?

On 6/15/2021 at 5:14 PM, EdyDev said:

intake AIO  Rad with tubes down, best setup