Photoshop knowledge (background removal) as well as illustrator usage.

Go to solution Solved by minibois,
1 hour ago, mrchow19910319 said:

@minibois dude... I tried to do the same thing the other day end up failing to do so.... took me 4 hours.... 

I will take a look at this throughly tomorrow when I have time. 

Thank you so much. Will update you later! 

Good luck, look forward to see what you'll make out of it 🙂

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Pretty much as @minibois said. Just don't use symmetry as this image isn't symmetrical so avoid that if you want to keep it close to original as possible. Honestly looks like about an hours worth of work depending on the level of uniqueness. Id you want to keep some of that asymmetrical but not quite look for the crosses you can make 5 slightly different ones and stack them in a random order.

Personally I would make the image symmetrical.

Or rather, I would just recreate one side, mirror it to the other side and then just tweak the details on both sides a bit to make it not symmetrical anymore.

I had some knowledge about photoshop and whenever I tried to google how to do some basic stuff, I usually can find the solution I was looking for. 

For example, if I wanna remove image background, I probably gonna select the object I want to keep 1st, the delete the background.

However when it comes to image that has a lot of small elements that prevent me from selecting the whole thing, how do I proceed??? 

Also how do I get rid of the blue glare that is showing at the bottom of the image??? 

And is it possible to re-create this image digitally using photoshop or illustrator?? 

Thank you in advance.

cut_atqorc.thumb.jpg.f8540e0ec8dcba8053bae7565684f3d9.jpg

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

There are dozens of way to go about this, the way I would work is probably:

- Use the magic wand tool, in color selection mode (not sure what it's called in Photoshop, in Gimp it's called 'Select by color'*

- Delete the yellow

- Equalize the blue, to the desired color (I did this by sliding to contrast to zero (making it grayscale), equalizing the color to white using levels and colorizing it to the desired color)

*select by color may need some tuning, to make sure it picks up enough of the yellow, but not too much.

The issue is that the picture isn't the highest resolution, so you'd either need to upscale it in some software (like Waifu2x) or manually remake it in Illustrator.

This is what I got in a couple second of work as described above:

image.png.1d823524bf153653896116574024855f.png

(Placed on a white background for easier viewing on this forum's dark mode)

Transparent:

Spoiler

logo.png.f8168bdc77176b8faf3b0ea99ccd8e39.png

Not an amazing result though.

If you want a high quality version, tracing the image in Illustrator (or another vector program like Inkscape) is going to be the only option.

I tried running this through Waifu2x, but unfortunately the intricate details and the overall lack of pixels didn't give a great result.

Overall, recreating the image should be relatively easy.

It's four parts:

- Bottom

- Symbol on the side

- Chinese(?) characters (which probably already have a vector image in your font of choice)

Of course, tracing the top and bottom will take some time, but that's just it. It just takes time. And of course you will want some varying widths in some of the lines too, but that is not too much work at the end.

I would estimate this is about an hour or two of work in tracing, depending on how familiar you are with the vector program of choice.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

@minibois dude... I tried to do the same thing the other day end up failing to do so.... took me 4 hours.... 

Pretty much as @minibois said. Just don't use symmetry as this image isn't symmetrical so avoid that if you want to keep it close to original as possible. Honestly looks like about an hours worth of work depending on the level of uniqueness. Id you want to keep some of that asymmetrical but not quite look for the crosses you can make 5 slightly different ones and stack them in a random order.

34 minutes ago, jaslion said:

my illustrator says I do not have enough RAM to open this file.... LOL

I have a really old laptop with 4core 8 thread CPU and 12 GB of ram. LOL

21 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

my illustrator says I do not have enough RAM to open this file.... LOL

I have a really old laptop with 4core 8 thread CPU and 12 GB of ram. LOL

I work on less at work :p. How does that even happen? It's just an image.

1 hour ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Good luck, look forward to see what you'll make out of it 🙂

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Personally I would make the image symmetrical.

Or rather, I would just recreate one side, mirror it to the other side and then just tweak the details on both sides a bit to make it not symmetrical anymore.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

16 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

I had some knowledge about photoshop and whenever I tried to google how to do some basic stuff, I usually can find the solution I was looking for. 

For example, if I wanna remove image background, I probably gonna select the object I want to keep 1st, the delete the background.

However when it comes to image that has a lot of small elements that prevent me from selecting the whole thing, how do I proceed??? 

Also how do I get rid of the blue glare that is showing at the bottom of the image??? 

And is it possible to re-create this image digitally using photoshop or illustrator?? 

Thank you in advance.

cut_atqorc.thumb.jpg.f8540e0ec8dcba8053bae7565684f3d9.jpg

I would recreate it in Illustrator. I do speak Chinese- here are the characters if you want to copy them to illustrator: 佛力超薦往生蓮位

3 hours ago, VFXGuy said:

I would recreate it in Illustrator. I do speak Chinese- here are the characters if you want to copy them to illustrator: 佛力超薦往生蓮位

I see. Thanks! Also I'm chinese XD 

18 hours ago, jaslion said:

I work on less at work :p. How does that even happen? It's just an image.

sorry just saw your reply, yeah , I don't know why. I think the machine I am using is just too old to handle it;

It is a Asus X550J with i7 4710HQ + 12 GB of ram

2 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

sorry just saw your reply, yeah , I don't know why. I think the machine I am using is just too old to handle it;

It is a Asus X550J with i7 4710HQ + 12 GB of ram

Mine is barely newer and I have no issue opening the waifu 2x image. Maybe just open it in photoshop, downscale it a bit and then put it in illustrator?

I mean you don't even need that high res of an image if you are just going to remake it in illustrator.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Mine is barely newer and I have no issue opening the waifu 2x image. Maybe just open it in photoshop, downscale it a bit and then put it in illustrator?

I mean you don't even need that high res of an image if you are just going to remake it in illustrator.

Thanks for the tip! I am really new to these kind of stuff and I hope I can learn something useful cos right now my work needs me to do some simple photo editing. Will try it out when I have time!! 

@minibois may I ask you how did you get rid of the "yellow borders" around the image?? 

Like make it pure blue? After I deleted the yellow part the pic looks like this 123123123123.thumb.png.fa44a6f37ef70902066d2adaaa9b751b.png

As you can see there are still remaining yellows at the edges... 

9 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

@minibois may I ask you how did you get rid of the "yellow borders" around the image?? 

Like make it pure blue? After I deleted the yellow part the pic looks like this

The image I showed was done in Gimp, I am not very familiar with the options in Photoshop.

Do you have a "Select by color" option in Photoshop? Where if you press on something yellow, it will select all the yellow things in the image, not just what is attached to the first yellow piece? If so, use that, but play around with the tolerance setting of the tool.

The tolerance is basically how similar should the other selected colors be, compared to the selected yellow color. You can see that the yellow right next to the blue is a slightly different version of yellow and by adjusting the tolerance it will also select those slightly different shades of yellow.

47 minutes ago, minibois said:

The image I showed was done in Gimp, I am not very familiar with the options in Photoshop.

Do you have a "Select by color" option in Photoshop? Where if you press on something yellow, it will select all the yellow things in the image, not just what is attached to the first yellow piece? If so, use that, but play around with the tolerance setting of the tool.

The tolerance is basically how similar should the other selected colors be, compared to the selected yellow color. You can see that the yellow right next to the blue is a slightly different version of yellow and by adjusting the tolerance it will also select those slightly different shades of yellow.

Okay, could you show me the steps by using GIMP? 

I have GIMP on my laptop. 

I did select the yellow color in the image, only that after that there are remians at the edges.... 

7 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Okay, could you show me the steps by using GIMP? 

I have GIMP on my laptop. 

I did select the yellow color in the image, only that after that there are remians at the edges.... 

The basic steps would be this:

On 6/15/2021 at 4:55 PM, minibois said:

- Use the magic wand tool, in color selection mode (not sure what it's called in Photoshop, in Gimp it's called 'Select by color'*

- Delete the yellow

- Equalize the blue, to the desired color (I did this by sliding to contrast to zero (making it grayscale), equalizing the color to white using levels and colorizing it to the desired color)

To elaborate a bit on step 1, this is the tool in Gimp to use:

image.png.74310d8afc5254c1635699709e519e5a.png

The way I use this, is by clicking and dragging.

First, just press and hold on some of the yellow. If you now move your mouse to the right, it will increase the tolerance, so the more you move your mouse right, the more different shades of yellow you will choose.

Around 106-116 threshold worked well, but your mileage may vary.

After that, I also did the same with the white in the image, because the selection in the middle leaf at the bottom wasn't that great because of the white in there.

Delete the white/yellow now. Now is also the time to select the blue color you'd want the image to be and save that hex code in your notepad or something.

Then, I went to Color > Saturation, to set that to zero (makes the image grayscale). Then I went to Color > Levels and set the Output to only output white:

image.png.b65f5f61855d5c8522896a7aa1b5297c.png

Now would be the best time to clean up the image a bit. Just set the color to white, pick a brush and just clean up some of the image (I had to clean up some edges at the very bottom and top graphic).

After that, go to Color > Colorize and choose insert the blue color you have saved (and play around a bit with the lightness/saturation to get it the right color you want).

42 minutes ago, minibois said:

Dude, you are awesome. Thank you so much. I will try this as soon as I get off from work. Right now I am doing Office work + basic graphic design + basic video and audio editing. Mostly grab stuff from youtube and conver and trim them etc. I will try this later when I have time. Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2021 at 11:03 PM, VFXGuy said:

😂🤣 Sorry didn't realise.

opps. sorry I was revisting this thread and just saw your comment