MSI Ventus 3X RTX 3070 Underperforming?

mBp

Hi Guys. 

I recently acquired a RTX 3070. But I just feel as though the "Upgrade" should be far more noticeable in performance compared to my old 1060 6GB.

I recently had a few friends round my house and they said something about my GPU being installed in the bottom slot rather than the top slot would negate performance, is this true?

I am also wondering if its possible im seeing any bottlenecking, my specs are as follows. 

Any help would be amazing!

CPU - Ryzen 5 3600

MOBO - ROG B450-F Gaming

RAM - 16GB DDR4 3200MHZ

GPU - RTX 3070 

PSU - Sea sonic 750 Watt

if you're installing the gpu on the bottom slot, it will only run pcie x8. I suggest you to move the graphic card to the top slot for better performance because it's gonna use x16 lane

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT @4,6 Ghz| Motherboard: MSI B550M Mortar | RAM: 2x8GB 3200MHz G.Skill Trident Z Neo CL16 | GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio | PSU: Corsair RM750  | Case: NZXT H510 | Cooler: Cooler Master Masterliquid ML240L v2 | SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 500GB + Transcend MTE220S 512GB | HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200rpm | Monitor: Samsung 24" CFG70

8 minutes ago, mBp said:

I recently had a few friends round my house and they said something about my GPU being installed in the bottom slot rather than the top slot would negate performance, is this true?

They are both PCIe 3.0 x16, so it should run to its full potential (althou you are not benefiting from PCIe gen 4 with that motherboard. Not that it would make much difference)

Only thing to look out for is if you are choking of the air supply by having it in the bottom slot.

Outside of that Your setup seems fine.

2 minutes ago, SpaceFish said:

if you're installing the gpu on the bottom slot, it will only run pcie x8.

This is only true if there are a GPU in the top slot as well

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

1 minute ago, Tegneren said:

oh yeah, i forgot this one

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT @4,6 Ghz| Motherboard: MSI B550M Mortar | RAM: 2x8GB 3200MHz G.Skill Trident Z Neo CL16 | GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio | PSU: Corsair RM750  | Case: NZXT H510 | Cooler: Cooler Master Masterliquid ML240L v2 | SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 500GB + Transcend MTE220S 512GB | HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200rpm | Monitor: Samsung 24" CFG70

12 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

They are both PCIe 3.0 x16, so it should run to its full potential (althou you are not benefiting from PCIe gen 4 with that motherboard. Not that it would make much difference)

Only thing to look out for is if you are choking of the air supply by having it in the bottom slot.

Outside of that Your setup seems fine.

Hi there. Thanks for the rapid response, how would I be able to check if the air supply is the issue I could be having? 

27 minutes ago, mBp said:

Hi Guys. 

I recently acquired a RTX 3070. But I just feel as though the "Upgrade" should be far more noticeable in performance compared to my old 1060 6GB.

I am also wondering if its possible im seeing any bottlenecking, my specs are as follows. 

Any help would be amazing!

CPU - Ryzen 5 3600

MOBO - ROG B450-F Gaming

RAM - 16GB DDR4 3200MHZ

GPU - RTX 3070 

PSU - Sea sonic 750 Watt

Have you run any benchmarks to compare scores? 

tbh I have the same card and the visual difference between it and my old 1070ti isn't huge other than I can crank all the settings in a game to 11 (with the exception of MSFS) and still get over 60fps at 1440. There are obviously some benefits but the returns are diminishing. The most obvious benefit is that I can achieve all this at cooler temps. 

My panel only has a 95Hz refresh rate so I have a limit there.  

Many things to consider when looking at GPU performance. 

4 minutes ago, LordVetinari said:

Have you run any benchmarks to compare scores? 

tbh I have the same card and the visual difference between it and my old 1070ti isn't huge other than I can crank all the settings in a game to 11 (with the exception of MSFS) and still get over 60fps at 1440. There are obviously some benefits but the returns are diminishing. The most obvious benefit is that I can achieve all this at cooler temps. 

My panel only has a 95Hz refresh rate so I have a limit there.  

Many things to consider when looking at GPU performance. 

image.thumb.png.cc80319f4bec4b1c76d4f71198b7c365.png

Weirdly enough I was running a benchmark at the time of this post, here are my results. I'm not sure whether these are good or bad? 

I have a 144hz monitor luckily. 

11 minutes ago, mBp said:

Hi there. Thanks for the rapid response, how would I be able to check if the air supply is the issue I could be having? 

If there are little to no clearance(3cm. or less at a minimum) between the fans on the GPU to the PSU or something else, but from your response below your tems are fine, so thats not an issue.

7 minutes ago, mBp said:

Weirdly enough I was running a benchmark at the time of this post, here are my results. I'm not sure whether these are good or bad? 

I have a 144hz monitor luckily

this guy got 4236 points on  Heaven at ultra 1080p settings with the same GPU/CPU combo as you.

If you try 3D mark Time spy you should expect around 13500-14000 GPU score at stock (milage may vary)

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

3 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

If there are little to no clearance(3cm. or less at a minimum) between the fans on the GPU to the PSU or something else, but from your response below your tems are fine, so thats not an issue.

this guy got 4236 points on  Heaven at ultra 1080p settings with the same GPU/CPU combo as you.

If you try 3D mark Time spy you should expect around 13500-14000 GPU score at stock (milage may vary)

ahhh okay, perhaps I was just over expecting. 

I think sometimes I do see a lot less GPU usage in some tiltes, could that be the problem of less FPS?

4 minutes ago, mBp said:

ahhh okay, perhaps I was just over expecting. 

I think sometimes I do see a lot less GPU usage in some tiltes, could that be the problem of less FPS?

Dont put too much into the Heaven benchmark, its quite old at this point so not really representative. Its mostly used as a stress test these days, not for performance testing.

Some titles are more CPU intensive than others, so Your CPU might be the limiting factor in those cases.

You should also check if the GPU are running at x16 speed.

Install CPU-Z from cpuid.com, then in the "Mainboard" tab under "Graphic Interface" you can see it

Dont put too much into the Heaven benchmark, its quite old at this point so not really representative. Its mostly used as a stress test these days, not for performance testing.

Some titles are more CPU intensive than others, so Your CPU might be the limiting factor in those cases.

You should also check if the GPU are running at x16 speed.

Install CPU-Z from cpuid.com, then in the "Mainboard" tab under "Graphic Interface" you can see it

yeah I think my CPU may be the limiting factor here actually. 

here's a screenshot of CPU-Z .

https://gyazo.com/21b13049ac1e344f685712fc0e1e9be7

2 minutes ago, mBp said:

yeah I think my CPU may be the limiting factor here actually. 

here's a screenshot of CPU-Z .

https://gyazo.com/21b13049ac1e344f685712fc0e1e9be7

Hmm. seem like its running at x4 speed not x16, try checking it while running heaven. it may be a power saving feature when idle..

If its not changing, move the card to the top slot or go into BIOS and change it to run at x16 manually

Hmm. seem like its running at x4 speed not x16, try checking it while running heaven. it may be a power saving feature when idle..

If its not changing, move the card to the top slot or go into BIOS and change it to run at x16 manually

how can I go about seeing if its running at x16 speed in haven? 

I'll check my BIOS now. 

If not will move the card to the top slot instead. 

if the card was running at x4 how come x16 makes a difference?

Just now, mBp said:

how can I go about seeing if its running at x16 speed in haven? 

I'll check my BIOS now. 

If not will move the card to the top slot instead. 

if the card was running at x4 how come x16 makes a difference?

Just keep cpuid open while running Heaven 

A GPU can work on all PCIe speeds, just not at full perfomance.

High end GPUs will perform jus a little bit slower when going from x16 to x8, but at x4 you will basically choke of any modern mid- to high end GPU. (unless if it is for mining, then you only need x4)

2 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

Just keep cpuid open while running Heaven 

A GPU can work on all PCIe speeds, just not at full perfomance.

High end GPUs will perform jus a little bit slower when going from x16 to x8, but at x4 you will basically choke of any modern mid- to high end GPU. (unless if it is for mining, then you only need x4)

Just went into my BIOS 

here's what I was greeted with. 

https://gyazo.com/e1e4e165f0ec4f63fe46c7a854e63812

It would appear that It's running at x4, I take it should most likely see a performance boost when I move it to the top slot instead. 

wow, I've been running it at x4 for like 2 months now lol.

1 minute ago, mBp said:

Just went into my BIOS 

here's what I was greeted with. 

https://gyazo.com/e1e4e165f0ec4f63fe46c7a854e63812

It would appear that It's running at x4, I take it should most likely see a performance boost when I move it to the top slot instead. 

wow, I've been running it at x4 for like 2 months now lol.

Yes, when checking closer the lower slots only have connectors for x8 and x4 respectively (the metal pins inside the slot).

The manual for the motherboard was a little misleading

Sorry for taking you on a detour

image.png.5b0b046a3d722f57f998cabc2c48937b.png

Yes, when checking closer the lower slots only have connectors for x8 and x4 respectively (the metal pins inside the slot).

The manual for the motherboard was a little misleading

Sorry for taking you on a detour

image.png.5b0b046a3d722f57f998cabc2c48937b.png

It's all good, thank you so much for the help. 

I wonder how noticeable the difference will be then.

2 minutes ago, mBp said:

It's all good, thank you so much for the help. 

I wonder how noticeable the difference will be then.

good to you, try benchmark then and see the difference