Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Looks like a (physical) PCIe x16 slot. You'd have to read the manual to see whether it is actually connected with all 16 traces though. E.g. my motherboard has 2 x16 slots, but only one of them is actually connected as x16.

Remember to quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

5 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Looks like a (physical) PCIe x16 slot. You'd have to read the manual to see whether it is actually connected with all 16 traces though. E.g. my motherboard has 2 x16 slots, but only one of the is actually connected as x16.

Ah ok, I dont have a physical manual and in the dell manual online (Dell Inspiron 3647) I didnt see it mention anywhere what it was. Either way even if it is a physical 16x but runs at 8x or whatever it should still be fine, with perhaps a few fps loss correct? I plan on creating a sorta janky setup. My brother is visiting for 2 weeks, so was going to throw a 1050ti I have in this pc. As you may be able to tell, there is only room for a single slot card. I'm planning on getting a PCIe riser and just leaving the side panel off. 

6 minutes ago, ColonelJoe said:

Ah ok, I dont have a physical manual and in the dell manual online (Dell Inspiron 3647) I didnt see it mention anywhere what it was. Either way even if it is a physical 16x but runs at 8x or whatever it should still be fine, with perhaps a few fps loss correct? I plan on creating a sorta janky setup. My brother is visiting for 2 weeks, so was going to throw a 1050ti I have in this pc. As you may be able to tell, there is only room for a single slot card. I'm planning on getting a PCIe riser and just leaving the side panel off. 

Is this a bad idea? Well, I mean I know its sorta a bad idea lol, but what I mean is do you think it would be fine for about 2 weeks?

5 minutes ago, ColonelJoe said:

The best way to check is by software, GPUz will tell you the slot speed once you have a card plugged in and the system up and running.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

6 minutes ago, ColonelJoe said:

1050ti would be fine on 8x, dont think it would saturate that bandwidth even.
Its a good card, but PCIe is just very fast.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

The best way to check is by software, GPUz will tell you the slot speed once you have a card plugged in and the system up and running.

Ah, thanks!

7 minutes ago, ColonelJoe said:

Either way even if it is a physical 16x but runs at 8x or whatever it should still be fine, with perhaps a few fps loss correct?

Yeah, should be fine. Was about to suggest what @Master Disaster said, use CPU-Z to check which PCIe generation it is.

Remember to quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Just now, HanZie82 said:

1050ti would be fine on 8x, dont think it would saturate that bandwidth even.
Its a good card, but PCIe is just very fast.

Ok, the only things i could find after a very quick google search were people trying 1080's on PCIe 8x and 16x, i couldnt find any lower end card tests

Physically it's 16x, electrically I can't tell for sure.

You can often see the amount of PCI lanes on a PCIe slot, by looking at the metal in the slot:

Supermicro X8DTH-6F 7x PCIe x8 Electrical x16 Physical Slots | ServeTheHome

As you might be able to see, the right half of the bottom couple slots don't have metal inside.

That means these are physically large enough for 16x cards, but only 8x of the connector actually does something

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, minibois said:

Physically it's 16x, electrically I can't tell for sure.

You can often see the amount of PCI lanes on a PCIe slot, by looking at the metal in the slot:

Supermicro X8DTH-6F 7x PCIe x8 Electrical x16 Physical Slots | ServeTheHome

As you might be able to see, the right half of the bottom couple slots don't have metal inside.

That means these are physically large enough for 16x cards, but only 8x of the connector actually does something

Interesting.

@minibois Even looking at the actual pins, you still cant be certain....

For example: Asus K31AN.

ASUS K31AN-J2900 mother 4 core 4s red Windows10 ITX: Real Yahoo auction  salling

It is kinda hard to see, but the PCIe only has pins for 8x.

Still, the CPU (Intel® Pentium® Processor J2900) has only 4 and no matter what you plug in, it works only in 2x connection cuz I suspect other stuff is also connected to it.

So physical 16x, electrical 8x, possible in theory 4x and in practice only 2x  XD

image.png

1 hour ago, ColonelJoe said:

Ok, the only things i could find after a very quick google search were people trying 1080's on PCIe 8x and 16x, i couldnt find any lower end card tests

Just to add the results of a 1080 will pretty much apply to any lower card in the same or better fashion. If the result is that a 1080 doesn't suffer from 8x bandwidth a weaker 1050 Ti will surely see no negative effect from it.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | Storage: 250 GB Crucial BX100 SSD + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 1TB WD Green + 3TB WD Red | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB