Computer randomly reboots with no warning

Wrenchy03

I have recently built a pc for a friend and he’s been having random restarts ever since. I originally thought it was the psu so we replaced it but with no luck. His specs are as follows

intel core i7-10700K

msi z590 gaming edge wifi

Corsair 360mm cpu cooler

16GB Corsair vengeance

Gigabyte rtx 3070 master

corsair rmx850w

samsung 970 and 870 1TB

both his cpu and gpu stay in 55-65 Celsius range so temperatures are good. Whenever it restarts whatever application is open closes, his monitor goes black, and case fans ramp up. For anywhere from a few seconds to a minute after he gets kicked from whatever game he can still talk to me on discord until it fully restarts. I’m thinking the only other possibility it could be is his motherboard but I’d like to hear second opinions.

Do you have similar hardware?  If so you could always try swapping one component of his at a time into your system to narrow it down.. it's always a process of elimination.  

1 minute ago, si1enze said:

Do you have similar hardware?  If so you could always try swapping one component of his at a time into your system to narrow it down.. it's always a process of elimination.  

We have similar ram but Outside of that I’m on ryzen and have a founders 2080 super. 

EDITED: You could try the ram and the GPU then, and narrow it down to it being one of those or both or not, then you would know it's more than likely his motherboard.

Thats a bad situation, so try some of these

- reseat the gpu

reseat the ram

see if there is a faulty mobo

see if having maybe a 1000 w psu can do anything

try seeing if there is a problem with cooling or cpu

and try seeing if there is a problem with the ssd using the samsung magician software.

• 3 weeks later...

Update

We ran scannow and it did detect errors in windows and fixed it but the computer still shut off. We have checked the health of his storage and they're in working order. And finally we checked for critical errors and we have one error every crash. Kernal Power code 41.
These are the extra details added on
- EventData BugcheckCode 307 BugcheckParameter1 0x1 BugcheckParameter2 0x1e00 BugcheckParameter3 0xfffff804788fb320 BugcheckParameter4 0x0 SleepInProgress 0 PowerButtonTimestamp 0 BootAppStatus 0 Checkpoint 0 ConnectedStandbyInProgress false SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 3 CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0 BugcheckInfoFromEFI false CheckpointStatus 0 CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2 0 LongPowerButtonPressDetected false

im getting him to bring the computer back on Friday hopefully so I can run memtest on it and troubleshoot other things but I thought I’d post this and see if anyone has seen this

4 hours ago, Wrenchy03 said:

Update

We ran scannow and it did detect errors in windows and fixed it but the computer still shut off. We have checked the health of his storage and they're in working order. And finally we checked for critical errors and we have one error every crash. Kernal Power code 41.
These are the extra details added on
- EventData BugcheckCode 307 BugcheckParameter1 0x1 BugcheckParameter2 0x1e00 BugcheckParameter3 0xfffff804788fb320 BugcheckParameter4 0x0 SleepInProgress 0 PowerButtonTimestamp 0 BootAppStatus 0 Checkpoint 0 ConnectedStandbyInProgress false SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 3 CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0 BugcheckInfoFromEFI false CheckpointStatus 0 CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2 0 LongPowerButtonPressDetected false

im getting him to bring the computer back on Friday hopefully so I can run memtest on it and troubleshoot other things but I thought I’d post this and see if anyone has seen this

Kernal power (41) is 100% indicative that the PC shut off unexpectedly. This can be because it looses power by holding the power button, or the wall looses power. However, if this isn't what is happening, then this indicates a power supply issue. If you can barrow a PSU from someone, or buy another just to test it, that will be the best way to determine if the PSU is the issue, which it likely is. Although this points to a PSU issue, it could ALSO be that it has a bad connection somewhere, ensure CPU and PCIe power cables are fully seated and NOT damaged in anyway. If all cables are reseated and look good, then if the PC still shuts off randomly, test it with another PSU. 

1 minute ago, Ty2525 said:

Kernal power (41) is 100% indicative that the PC shut off unexpectedly. This can be because it looses power by holding the power button, or the wall looses power. However, if this isn't what is happening, then this indicates a power supply issue. If you can barrow a PSU from someone, or buy another just to test it, that will be the best way to determine if the PSU is the issue, which it likely is. Although this points to a PSU issue, it could ALSO be that it has a bad connection somewhere, ensure CPU and PCIe power cables are fully seated and NOT damaged in anyway. If all cables are reseated and look good, then if the PC still shuts off randomly, test it with another PSU. 

^ After checking cables, you can try to turn on the PC with the button, then unplugging the front power button from the board if you are familiar with the location of this connector. If the button is faulty, it may be shorting the connections when it gets bumped/vibrates. If it shorts out the pins for any length of time, it will turn off the PC out of nowhere and windows will throw the 41 event code. These power button pins are designed to be shorted, that is how the pc turns on (and off) but if it is happening when it isn't supposed to, then it could look like a PSU issue when it is just the button being faulty. It is VERY EXTREAMLY unlikely the button is defective, but always worth a shot before you spend money or waste more time with it. Good luck!