Need Help on Choosing Graphics Card

Cringelix

I know it's hard to build your own PC right now but I'd like to upgrade my PC's graphics card to something a bit better than what I have right now which is a 1050ti, I was wondering if I'll be able to put in a 1650 or 1060 into my system, my current motherboard is a ASRock B250M-HDV, and I have a Intel Core i5 7500 (3.40GHz), I was wondering if getting any of those new GPUs would be be compatible with my system and good for a small upgrade as I am saving up a lot more to build or buy a prebuilt PC later on. Will my system be bottlenecked or anything? Please help. Thank You.

3 minutes ago, Cringelix said:

compatible with my system

Whats your PSU?

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

1 minute ago, starry said:

Whats your PSU?

It originally came with a 400 watt PSU but if I remember correctly I swapped it it to a 450 watt PSU from EVGA.

4 minutes ago, starry said:

Whats your PSU?

Yes I double checked and it s a 450 BR from EVGA

5 minutes ago, Cringelix said:

Yes I double checked and it s a 450 BR from EVGA

Should be compatible, then. I wouldnt worry too much about bottlenecks at that price point. Just focus on getting value for your money. Used 1060s are currently around $300 on the used market in the US. If you aren't comfortable with used, 1650 is all thats going to be in stock (if even), they are around $500 on amazon rn which I don't recommend.

Have you noticed any problems with your computer's performance as is?

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

120GB SSD

FYI:  A 1050TI vs a 1060 or 1650 isn't a huge jump.

I wouldn't spend the money on that level of upgrade.

4 minutes ago, Tech87 said:

Have you considered selling your PC and then using that money plus the money you were going to use on an upgrade to instead buy yourself a budget prebuilt?

Yes I have thought about that but I also don't want to end up without a PC since it's all where I do my important work on and my gaming, my parents also use my PC for some of their work so it's hard to just sell it. I also wouldn't know how much I'd sell my PC for since I have made some upgrades since I bought it late 2017. 

1 minute ago, Cringelix said:

Yes I have thought about that but I also don't want to end up without a PC since it's all where I do my important work on and my gaming, my parents also use my PC for some of their work so it's hard to just sell it. I also wouldn't know how much I'd sell my PC for since I have made some upgrades since I bought it late 2017. 

Convince your parents you need an upgrade, and since they're using it to, have them chip in some funds.

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

6 minutes ago, starry said:

Should be compatible, then. I wouldnt worry too much about bottlenecks at that price point. Just focus on getting value for your money. Used 1060s are currently around $300 on the used market in the US. If you aren't comfortable with used, 1650 is all thats going to be in stock (if even), they are around $500 on amazon rn which I don't recommend.

Have you noticed any problems with your computer's performance as is?

Oof, I am not that good on finding the best deal and whats not a blatant rip off so its hard. And to answer your question, I get a lot of frame drops despite having my graphical settings on low.

5 minutes ago, tkitch said:

FYI:  A 1050TI vs a 1060 or 1650 isn't a huge jump.

I wouldn't spend the money on that level of upgrade.

Well I'd like to play some games at least at 60fps, I also recently bought a 144hz monitor only to find out my PC is not powerful enough despite having everything set to low, I especially bought it since I wanted to play Overwatch at 144hz but my fps fluctuate a lot and rarely stay above 144hz.

2 minutes ago, Cringelix said:

Oof, I am not that good on finding the best deal and whats not a blatant rip off so its hard. And to answer your question, I get a lot of frame drops despite having my graphical settings on low.

Are you running dual channel memory?

That can make a big difference with ryzen.

3 minutes ago, Tech87 said:

Convince your parents you need an upgrade, and since they're using it to, have them chip in some funds.

My parents aren't ones to do something like that, especially since it was a gift to me from them. They do browser only work so they won't notice any kind of performance difference so it's hard to justify something like that when I want an upgrade to play games at better FPS.

2 minutes ago, Tech87 said:

Are you running dual channel memory?

That can make a big difference with ryzen.

Uhm, I believe I have 4 x 4GB memory sticks running at 2133MHZ. They fill up all of my memory slots on my MB.

Just now, Cringelix said:

My parents aren't ones to do something like that, especially since it was a gift to me from them. They do browser only work so they won't notice any kind of performance difference so it's hard to justify something like that when I want an upgrade to play games at better FPS.

There are a lot of reasons that could be causing framedrops.

It's not necessarily the GPU, especially with other people using the system.

You could have some spyware/malware on it that may be causing performance issues.

Just now, Tech87 said:

You could have some spyware/malware on it that may be causing performance issues.

Hmm I haven't downloaded any weird programs on my computer. I rarely download anything 3rd party other than browsers and software for my steelseries headset and redragon software for my mouse and thats about it. I had weird frame drops before, I did a clean install of windows onto my system thinking it'd fix it but it didn't seem to fix anything.

11 minutes ago, Cringelix said:

What games are you playing

Windows Gaming PC

120GB SSD

120GB SSD

3 minutes ago, Tech87 said:

Just now, Cringelix said:

Hmm I haven't downloaded any weird programs on my computer. I rarely download anything 3rd party other than browsers and software for my steelseries headset and redragon software for my mouse and thats about it. I had weird frame drops before, I did a clean install of windows onto my system thinking it'd fix it but it didn't seem to fix anything.

My parents also haven't installed anything since they arent really knowledgeable of how PCs work so they ask me everytime they want me to do something technical like downloading something.

1 minute ago, starry said:

What games are you playing

All I've been playing is Overwatch really, I've recently picked up the Wolfenstein series but those games seem to run perfectly fine, better than I expected actually. Overwatch despite being an easy game to run I believe, has a lot of frame drops despite me having all my settings on low/off, even so I can't manage to get above 144fps on it.

5 minutes ago, Cringelix said:

Well I'd like to play some games at least at 60fps, I also recently bought a 144hz monitor only to find out my PC is not powerful enough despite having everything set to low, I especially bought it since I wanted to play Overwatch at 144hz but my fps fluctuate a lot and rarely stay above 144hz.

You won't see more than a moderate FPS increase with those purchases.  And for the 300-400$ it'll cost you, it's a very very dubious purchase value.

Are you running a SSD?  If not, that'll be your best performance boost.

FYI:  The motherboard you mention only has 2 RAM slots, and you said it's a 4x4 config, which obviously is 4 slots.

If you have 16GB, it's 2x8GB. 

Your slower RAM is not helping your performance.  7th gen likes running a bit faster than 2133, so you're def losing some speed there.

2 minutes ago, Cringelix said:

All I've been playing is Overwatch really, I've recently picked up the Wolfenstein series but those games seem to run perfectly fine, better than I expected actually. Overwatch despite being an easy game to run I believe, has a lot of frame drops despite me having all my settings on low/off, even so I can't manage to get above 144fps on it.

You have a 144hz monitor? that changes things. Im not sure how over watch is optimized so thats where my knowledge starts to get iffy.

Windows Gaming PC

120GB SSD

120GB SSD

Just now, starry said:

You have a 144hz monitor? that changes things. Im not sure how over watch is optimized so thats where my knowledge starts to get iffy.

Mhm, I bought it since my old monitor didn't have any freesync so I'd just get horrible screen tearing and lag input.

Well, to answer your question, a 1060 6GB card would be a nice little upgrade, if that's all you can afford for now.

A 1650 Super is close to the same cost, but would be even better.

You'd be looking at a 50-100% fps boost over the 1050 ti, depending on the title.

You should run a hardware scan utility such as hwinfo, and then post your full system specs.

That way we can see if there's an obvious part that may be holding you back.

Use MSI Afterburner OSD to check the GPU usage and CPU per core usage in game, if the GPU usage is at 100% or close to it at all times, then a GPU upgrade might help, if the CPU is the one that have cores pinned at 100%, then the CPU might be the issue. If both are well below 90% probably memory, storage or possibly software are causing issues.

Buying a GPU currently isn't worth it in my opinion, unless you're getting something like the 3060 and above for MSRP or close to it, or absolutely needs one right now. The market for GPUs around $200 barely moved in the last 5 years, and the current prices makes the already bad situation worse.