I'm not sure if this headphone I found on ebay is a scam or not

Whooses

Hey guys, so I found this seller refurbished Sony WH-XB900N on ebay for a very good price...almost too good price, but the seller have very good review and the item also have Ebay money back guarantee (on the right side). So I wonder if this is a scam or not. Can you some please help me. Thank you.

2 minutes ago, Whooses said:

Hey guys, so I found this seller refurbished Sony WH-XB900N on ebay for a very good price...almost too good price, but the seller have very good review and the item also have Ebay money back guarantee (on the right side). So I wonder if this is a scam or not. Can you some please help me. Thank you.

i never bought anything from ebay but if there is a money back guarantee and this dude has good reviews then definitely go for it

They're used headphones, ew 

Seems like it's real.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

The answer to the question “I found this ___________ on eBay and I’m not sure if it’s a scam or not” is usually “yes”.  In this case it might not be.  Headphones or anything that isn’t made entirely of metal and spends time in skin contact with someone such as clothing, is going to go at a big discount.  If you add the cost of replacement earpieces/pillows/whatever they are called to the price is it still really low?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Seems to be real, however people need to keep in mind that headphones especially expensive ones have a lot of duplicates and knockoffs out there. Used headphones typically sell for pretty cheap because there isn't a huge demand for them as most people think buying preowned items such as headphones or earbuds is gross. I personally wouldn't get used earbuds but over the ear headphones, as long as the padding is replaced would be fine.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

If you look at the seller's page, it does have a history of selling audio equipment and has positive reviews. this isn't definitive but its a really good sign.

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

Look at their feedback, they're not scamming people. 

That said, these look a loooooot like returns that aren't in good enough shape to be shipped back to the vendor for credit. He's probably getting his hands on a retailer's supply of "damages" and reselling them on eBay. If that's the case then every single one of his headphones for sale were returned by a customer for one reason or another. Just keep that in mind.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Looks totally legit to me. Whether or not you want used headphones is up to you.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 hour ago, Roswell said:

Look at their feedback, they're not scamming people. 

That said, these look a loooooot like returns that aren't in good enough shape to be shipped back to the vendor for credit. He's probably getting his hands on a retailer's supply of "damages" and reselling them on eBay. If that's the case then every single one of his headphones for sale were returned by a customer for one reason or another. Just keep that in mind.

Hum... what do you mean by "aren't in good enough shape", like is one of the headphone side is broken but the headphone it-self still work, or like it contain scratches, or one of the function on the headphone doesn't work...etc?

I smell Chinese counterfeit.

Sadly there are fakes even new in box.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

3 hours ago, starry said:

If you look at the seller's page, it does have a history of selling audio equipment and has positive reviews. this isn't definitive but its a really good sign.

How much audio equipment? More than one person’s worth?  If not, The seller might be just an audiophile who dumps stuff on eBay when they’re tired of it.  MORE than one persons worth and they are likely a reseller of some sort, getting their inventory from elsewhere in which case @Whooses or @Andreas Lilja’s comments become pertinent.  One of the safety measures of eBay is PayPal. One can pay for and receive the item for inspection, then return it if it is not up to snuff. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

How much audio equipment? More than one person’s worth?  If so The seller might be just an audiophile who dumps stuff on eBay when they’re tired of it.  MORE than one persons worth and they are a reseller getting their inventory from elsewhere in which case @Whooses or @Andreas Lilja’s comments become pertinent.  One of the safety measures of eBay is PayPal. One can pay for and receive the item for inspection, then return it if it is not up to snuff. 

image.thumb.png.815c1786de9fda949e55df88a6f45a2f.png

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

That look a lot like a reseller to me

5 minutes ago, starry said:

image.thumb.png.815c1786de9fda949e55df88a6f45a2f.png

Looks a lot like a reseller to me. Doesnt mean it’s a scam, but it does mean stuff would have to be looked at very carefully

its refurbished ofc its cheap. 

buy it if you trust this randos repair skills, if not you still get your money back but waste time

On 6/14/2021 at 6:14 PM, SpookyCitrus said:

headphones especially expensive ones have a lot of duplicates and knockoffs out there.

Not really, only popular ones by big brands do. Audio technica, beats, sony. Do have fakes, but brands like sennheiser, beyerdynamic,hifiman,akg tend to be pretty safe. And really expensive brands like audeze, focal, zmf, abyss are even more safe. 

5 hours ago, rice guru said:

Not really, only popular ones by big brands do. Audio technica, beats, sony. Do have fakes, but brands like sennheiser, beyerdynamic,hifiman,akg tend to be pretty safe. And really expensive brands like audeze, focal, zmf, abyss are even more safe. 

That's more so what I meant, Sony is the brand of headphones OP is looking into and they do tend to have a lot of knockoffs. That's why I said it. I wasn't really going into brand name or anything but Sony is a big one.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |