is it okay to mix 16GB with 32GB RAM?

Using 4 dimms means it's less likely to get your rated speed, because the memory controller has to work harder. The ram will be able to function though, so if you need that much memory you can use it in your system.

What's all this ram for?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

While the board supports 16 GB sticks, you're asking a bit much from that motherboard and CPU. 

It should work, but I suspect you'd have to lower the frequency to 2933 Mhz or even 2666 Mhz to get the motherboard and CPU to be stable with 4 sticks of memory and so much capacity.

IF you look in the memory qvl list, you'll find no entries for 4 sticks of 16 GB at more than 2666 mhz : https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4/index.asp#Memory

4 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

What's all this ram for?

mostly virtual machines, blender, browser tabs, and some video editing here and there (originally I'm looking to just use a 16GB kit, but I found a good bargain on a 32GB kit)

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

While the board supports 16 GB sticks, you're asking a bit much from that motherboard and CPU. 

It should work, but I suspect you'd have to lower the frequency to 2933 Mhz or even 2666 Mhz to get the motherboard and CPU to be stable with 4 sticks of memory and so much capacity.

IF you look in the memory qvl list, you'll find no entries for 4 sticks of 16 GB at more than 2666 mhz : https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4/index.asp#Memory

I forgot to mention this, but my current RAM can only go up to 2933MHz, more than that and windows won't boot, is going to 2666 MHz for all the kits going to significantly affect performance? (because of the ryzen infinity fabric thingy)

11 minutes ago, RelyBedGrammer said:

I forgot to mention this, but my current RAM can only go up to 2933MHz, more than that and windows won't boot, is going to 2666 MHz for all the kits going to significantly affect performance? (because of the ryzen infinity fabric thingy)

I'd say that it won't be that relevant. Not having enough ram and needing to swap is far worse.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

19 minutes ago, RelyBedGrammer said:

mostly virtual machines, blender, browser tabs, and some video editing here and there (originally I'm looking to just use a 16GB kit, but I found a good bargain on a 32GB kit)

If you were interested in better ram speeds, a newer CPU would help. The 2700 and 3700X both have a better memory controller than the 1700 along with the same core count, so something to consider.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

But if you upgrade the cpu you should really upgrade the motherboard as well.... 

You could easily sell it as a kit (mobo+cpu+cooler) 

16 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

If you were interested in better ram speeds, a newer CPU would help. The 2700 and 3700X both have a better memory controller than the 1700 along with the same core count, so something to consider.

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

But if you upgrade the cpu you should really upgrade the motherboard as well.... 

You could easily sell it as a kit (mobo+cpu+cooler) 

thanks for the suggestions, but I don't think I'll be upgrading for a while. (at least not until DDR5 systems are out funnily enough)  

guess I'll be trading my RAM speeds for more RAM for now.

Thanks for all the replies! made my purchase decision much easier