EMERGENCY - GPU got damaged! Can i do anything to fix it?

centurion_08

Long story short.

A friend sent me a package with parts. It got smashed to fucking oblivion by the courier. Managed to salvage whatever i could.

The gpu heatsink was ripped from the chipset. Exibit photo no1. Is there anything i can do to reattach the whole thing?

Othere than that, there's no visible damage.

1.jpg

Ouch. I hope you had shipping insurance.

Either way, the copper plate was likely soldered on, so unless you have experience soldering large pieces of metal to heatpipes, I really wouldn't try. The heatpipes can explode which is...not ideal. I'd say this heatsink is a lost cause, try to find a replacement on Ebay.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Ouch. I hope you had shipping insurance.

Either way, the copper plate was likely soldered on, so unless you have experience soldering large pieces of metal to heatpipes, I really wouldn't try. The heatpipes can explode which is...not ideal. I'd say this heatsink is a lost cause, try to find a replacement on Ebay.

Could always do thermal adhesive in the worst case seems the plate if for a couple chips that are using thermal pads to make contact so I'd say that would be a ok solution.

Just now, jaslion said:

Could always do thermal adhesive in the worst case seems the plate if for a couple chips that are using thermal pads to make contact so I'd say that would be a ok solution.

I was considering suggesting something like that but not sure if I'd trust it to perform well or stick well long term, and it looks like the heatsink is only held to the card through the screws attached to the copper plate only, so a good bond between the copper plate and rest of the heatsink is necessary.

So I guess OP could try but no guarantee it would work (imo).

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I was considering suggesting something like that but not sure if I'd trust it to perform well or stick well long term, and it looks like the heatsink is only held to the card through the screws attached to the copper plate only, so a good bond between the copper plate and rest of the heatsink is necessary.

So I guess OP could try but no guarantee it would work (imo).

It would be a good way to at least test if the card works :p.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

It would be a good way to at least test if the card works :p.

I think i found something already on ebay for 17 pounds. Could try to salvage it thou.

2 minutes ago, centurion_08 said:

I think i found something already on ebay for 17 pounds. Could try to salvage it thou.

You need the exact heatsink not a universal thingy as those often only cool the gpu and none of the other components with a heatsink resulting in failure of the card.

Shouldnt be too difficult finding a dead "whatever this is MSI Gaming X" card to swap the cooler, no?

Also no insurance i take it?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

18 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Shouldnt be too difficult finding a dead "whatever this is MSI Gaming X" card to swap the cooler, no?

Also no insurance i take it?

It was a used item, from a friend. Basic DPD insurance. Already filled the form.

Also, we're talking about GTX 960 4GB. It was a throaway gift, wanted to power up my sons pc.