Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

EMERGENCY - GPU got damaged! Can i do anything to fix it?

Long story short.

 

A friend sent me a package with parts. It got smashed to fucking oblivion by the courier. Managed to salvage whatever i could.

The gpu heatsink was ripped from the chipset. Exibit photo no1. Is there anything i can do to reattach the whole thing?

Othere than that, there's no visible damage.

 

1.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ouch. I hope you had shipping insurance.

 

 

Either way, the copper plate was likely soldered on, so unless you have experience soldering large pieces of metal to heatpipes, I really wouldn't try. The heatpipes can explode which is...not ideal. I'd say this heatsink is a lost cause, try to find a replacement on Ebay.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.2GHz @ 1.35V (courtesy of @XR6)Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 6x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: 512GB Samsung 850 Pro and 1TB WD Blue PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: H100i V2, be quiet! Pure Wings 2 (two intake, two exhausting through radiator) Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and MEE M6 Pro

 

"If you don't measure things, it's not engineering; it's art." - Jack Ganssle

 

🏳️‍🌈

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Ouch. I hope you had shipping insurance.

 

 

Either way, the copper plate was likely soldered on, so unless you have experience soldering large pieces of metal to heatpipes, I really wouldn't try. The heatpipes can explode which is...not ideal. I'd say this heatsink is a lost cause, try to find a replacement on Ebay.

Could always do thermal adhesive in the worst case seems the plate if for a couple chips that are using thermal pads to make contact so I'd say that would be a ok solution.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jaslion said:

Could always do thermal adhesive in the worst case seems the plate if for a couple chips that are using thermal pads to make contact so I'd say that would be a ok solution.

I was considering suggesting something like that but not sure if I'd trust it to perform well or stick well long term, and it looks like the heatsink is only held to the card through the screws attached to the copper plate only, so a good bond between the copper plate and rest of the heatsink is necessary.

 

So I guess OP could try but no guarantee it would work (imo).

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.2GHz @ 1.35V (courtesy of @XR6)Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 6x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: 512GB Samsung 850 Pro and 1TB WD Blue PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: H100i V2, be quiet! Pure Wings 2 (two intake, two exhausting through radiator) Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and MEE M6 Pro

 

"If you don't measure things, it's not engineering; it's art." - Jack Ganssle

 

🏳️‍🌈

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I was considering suggesting something like that but not sure if I'd trust it to perform well or stick well long term, and it looks like the heatsink is only held to the card through the screws attached to the copper plate only, so a good bond between the copper plate and rest of the heatsink is necessary.

 

So I guess OP could try but no guarantee it would work (imo).

It would be a good way to at least test if the card works :p.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jaslion said:

It would be a good way to at least test if the card works :p.

I think i found something already on ebay for 17 pounds. Could try to salvage it thou.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, centurion_08 said:

I think i found something already on ebay for 17 pounds. Could try to salvage it thou.

You need the exact heatsink not a universal thingy as those often only cool the gpu and none of the other components with a heatsink resulting in failure of the card.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Shouldnt be too difficult finding a dead "whatever this is MSI Gaming X" card to swap the cooler, no?

 

Also no insurance i take it?

✪Ryzen 3600✪RTX3070✪B350✪

✪Trident Z 3600 16-16-16-36✪

✪Noctua U12S Chromax✪

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Shouldnt be too difficult finding a dead "whatever this is MSI Gaming X" card to swap the cooler, no?

 

Also no insurance i take it?

It was a used item, from a friend. Basic DPD insurance. Already filled the form.

Also, we're talking about GTX 960 4GB. It was a throaway gift, wanted to power up my sons pc.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×