Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

overclocking my old i7 3970x in a safe way?

Posted (edited)

I want to start using my old i7 3970x system parts again on my hdtv because pandemic shortages and all that and to be honest it still plays new games good.

, I took off it liquid cooler parts to use on the newer cpu because I found a free air cooler for it with a sucky fan that I will replacing and using better paste I kept it at 4.3ghz for a long time. I decided to bump it up to 4.5ghz

I also want to underclock it to preserve it’s life span longer reduce heat so I have been using bios “offset mode” of 0.040 it seems stable I ran 3 runs of lin x and some prime 95 it passed with out errors

so I get this max voltage 1.320 that is under the max spec of intel spec of 1.35 ( am I measure this correctly because some list only 3 numbers and others do 4 when they measure voltage)

is this long term safe? If I am understanding these offset mode instruction correctly I just lowered it voltage and over clocked it more. It was in manual mode and was set to a constant 1.350 now it drops below that when idle.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2162-Overclocking-Using-Offset-Mode-for-CPU-Core-Voltage

it hits 85 to 86 in only the most intense workloads like this if I crank the fans up it starts dropping fast but it is loud so I dont keep it that high.

Also i am testing during a major weather heat wave and the AC is cranked up but i think it still might be hot in here..

Screenshot_84.gif

Screenshot_90.jpg

Screenshot_89.jpg

Screenshot_87.jpg

what do people think i should do with it?

Edited by Cubicals

What cooler are you using?

There should be no need to underclock it really I mean people run this thing at stock clocks on a hyper 212 under 80c and it is mostly fine. If it's a really cruddy cooler just invest a bit of money into a new one (I mean you can get a scythe fuma 2 for 60$ and it is one of the best coolers on the market not that you have to spend that much but just as an example).