Windows 10 Home to Pro

Go to solution Solved by PorkishPig,
47 minutes ago, Yucipher said:

I have a laptop with windows 10 Home installed and another with Windows 10 Pro. I would like to clone the drive of the laptop with windows 10 Pro and install it in the Laptop with Windows 10 Home.

Each laptop is activated with a license associated with its motherboard.

Therefore, you'll run into activation errors until you provide the original Windows 10 Pro key. You can use ProduKey to record your Windows 10 Pro key for reactivation. Keep in mind you cannot have two active devices utilizing the same product key.

Good day

I have a laptop with windows 10 Home installed and another with Windows 10 Pro. I would like to clone the drive of the laptop with windows 10 Pro and install it in the Laptop with Windows 10 Home.

My question is, will the Pro license work on the new laptop and become a Pro machine or will the Home license interfere?

The pro key might work but the other laptop will be deactivated

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

You can't use the same Windows license on two machines. One of them will most likely become unlicensed.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

47 minutes ago, Yucipher said:

Each laptop is activated with a license associated with its motherboard.

Therefore, you'll run into activation errors until you provide the original Windows 10 Pro key. You can use ProduKey to record your Windows 10 Pro key for reactivation. Keep in mind you cannot have two active devices utilizing the same product key.

Edited by PorkishPig

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

super fast and amazing info. thank you.

Would the same apply for a windows 7 laptop? 

cloning the windows 7 laptop, inserting the drive into a windows 10 laptop and upgrading the OS?

It should then take the windows 10 license and the windows 7 license can still be used? (if that makes sense).

Make sure to quote or mention (@PorkishPig) who you're replying to.

3 minutes ago, Yucipher said:

cloning the windows 7 laptop, inserting the drive into a windows 10 laptop and upgrading the OS?

You don't need to bother with cloning unless you're bringing data present on the drive with you. Windows 10 accepts Windows 7 keys for activation as long as it's the same edition.

3 minutes ago, Yucipher said:

It should then take the windows 10 license and the windows 7 license can still be used? (if that makes sense).

It shouldn't work, but I've found that both devices will generally stay activated.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

22 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

Windows 10 accepts Windows 7 keys for activation as long as it's the same edition.

Oh wow, that's interesting. Thought the upgrade for free option was no longer a thing. Thank you.

Sorry for the lousy questions. I was just hoping there would be a way around it without the need of additional licenses.

Thank you all for the help. I really appreciate it.

Have a great day further and keep safe.