Please help me with my first new build using RTX 3080 Ti!

Budget (including currency): No restriction as for now as I am going to use department's funding.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Deep Learning research with a lot of patient images

Other details: Basically, I will be using this workstation for my deep learning research and project. It is a deep learning application on medical images. Thus, a lot of patients' images will be using for training. 

Hi,

Am planning on a new build in 2021 but I am quite new in this field. Thus, I would like to ask for your help with the the hardware I listed below, if it is good enough for my project. I will likely to overclock my CPU and GPU and does the casing that I choose below is good or there is a better options? And if the PSU is good enough? Also do I need both liquid and air cooling to avoid overheating? Thanks for your help.

1. Case : LIAN LI LANCOOL ONE RGB

2. Processor : AMD Ryzen 9 5900X Processor or AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Processor

3. Memory : 64 GB [32 GB x2] DDR4-3200 Memory Module - G.SKILL Trident Z (RGB LED)

4. Graphic Card : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti - 12GB GDDR6X

5. Motherboard :

-MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK - ARGB Header (2), USB 3.2 Ports (1 Type-C, 3 Type-A), M.2 Slot (2)

or

-MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI 

6. Power Supply : 850 Watt - CORSAIR RM850 80 PLUS Gold, Full Modular

7. Primary Storage :

-500GB Seagate Barracuda Q5 PCIe NVMe SSD -- Read: 2300MB/s; Write: 900MB/s

or

500GB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 M.2 PCI-E 4.0 NVME Gen 4 SSD - Gen4 Read: 5000 MB/s, Write: 4400 MB/s, Gen3 Read: 3450 MB/S, Write: 2500MB/s 

8. Secondary storage : 1TB WD Blue Hard Drive -- 64MB Cache, 7200RPM, 6.0Gb/s

9. Sound card : 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard 

1 hour ago, NoahJohasen said:

3. Memory : 64 GB [32 GB x2] DDR4-3200 Memory Module - G.SKILL Trident Z (RGB LED)

5. Motherboard :

-MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK - ARGB Header (2), USB 3.2 Ports (1 Type-C, 3 Type-A), M.2 Slot (2)

or

7. Primary Storage :

or

500GB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 M.2 PCI-E 4.0 NVME Gen 4 SSD - Gen4 Read: 5000 MB/s, Write: 4400 MB/s, Gen3 Read: 3450 MB/S, Write: 2500MB/s 

1. get a case with front mesh for better airflow.

2. 5950x if you need a CPU for that workload.

3. 3600mhz ram

4. swap it for a 3090 if you can the VRAM may actually be useful for you.

5. go x570

6. 850w is likely enough do go any lower.

7. use pcie 4.0 drives. WD SN850 would be my recommendation. 

8. use more ssd storage, avoid hdd.

9. not required use onboard (if thats what you mean then ok)

5 hours ago, NoahJohasen said:

Budget (including currency): No restriction as for now as I am going to use department's funding.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Deep Learning research with a lot of patient images

Other details: Basically, I will be using this workstation for my deep learning research and project. It is a deep learning application on medical images. Thus, a lot of patients' images will be using for training. 

Hi,

Am planning on a new build in 2021 but I am quite new in this field. Thus, I would like to ask for your help with the the hardware I listed below, if it is good enough for my project. I will likely to overclock my CPU and GPU and does the casing that I choose below is good or there is a better options? And if the PSU is good enough? Also do I need both liquid and air cooling to avoid overheating? Thanks for your help.

5. Motherboard :

or

7. Primary Storage :

or

Why are you going to overclock? I'd avoid doing so in a workstation, minimal gains for your workloads while risking crashes. Good air cooling should be enough.

1. No opinion from me

2. A 5900x, and even a 5800x might be overkill to be quite honest.

3. Good pick

4. Why are you going for a 3080ti instead of a 3090? The price shouldn't be that much higher and you will probably need the VRAM. You might even need two of those depending on your model

5. Doesn't really matter

6. If you plan on upgrading for another GPU, I'd go for a 1200W PSU.

7. I recommend using 2 NVMes. A ~500gb one for your root filesystem, and a ~1tb one for your /home (you'll be using linux, right?).

8. The size of your secondary storage depends on how big your datasets are, so I can really give an opinion on that.

9. No opinion from me

Can't you go for a threadripper or xeon based system? It would allow you to have more ram and more PCIe slots for extra GPUs.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

20 hours ago, TrigrH said:

1. get a case with front mesh for better airflow.

2. 5950x if you need a CPU for that workload.

3. 3600mhz ram

4. swap it for a 3090 if you can the VRAM may actually be useful for you.

5. go x570

6. 850w is likely enough do go any lower.

7. use pcie 4.0 drives. WD SN850 would be my recommendation. 

8. use more ssd storage, avoid hdd.

9. not required use onboard (if thats what you mean then ok)

Thanks so much for your opinions. May I ask you one more question, do I need both liquid and air cooling to avoid overheating?

5 minutes ago, NoahJohasen said:

Thanks so much for your opinions. May I ask you one more question, do I need both liquid and air cooling to avoid overheating?

For the CPU a 280mm or 360mm AIO is recommended. Stock GPU cooling is fine.

If you don't want those you can use an

IceGiant ProSiphon Elite.

Failing that, noctua NH-D15.

16 hours ago, igormp said:

Why are you going to overclock? I'd avoid doing so in a workstation, minimal gains for your workloads while risking crashes. Good air cooling should be enough.

1. No opinion from me

2. A 5900x, and even a 5800x might be overkill to be quite honest.

3. Good pick

4. Why are you going for a 3080ti instead of a 3090? The price shouldn't be that much higher and you will probably need the VRAM. You might even need two of those depending on your model

5. Doesn't really matter

6. If you plan on upgrading for another GPU, I'd go for a 1200W PSU.

7. I recommend using 2 NVMes. A ~500gb one for your root filesystem, and a ~1tb one for your /home (you'll be using linux, right?).

8. The size of your secondary storage depends on how big your datasets are, so I can really give an opinion on that.

9. No opinion from me

Can't you go for a threadripper or xeon based system? It would allow you to have more ram and more PCIe slots for extra GPUs.

Thank you so much for you help. Really appreciate it.

2. I might need to choose lower version? Which one would be your recommendation? 

4. Will consider to have 3090 in my list. 

6. Noted on this, thanks

7. Oh I see.. Yes I am going to use linux. Do you mean I need a separate NVMes? or I can choose to have 1 with bigger size for example 2Tb. Then set the partition type.

8. Do I still need hdd if I have already big ssd storage?

I thought Ryzen is much more powerful than threadripper. But will have a look. 

Thanks again

2 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

For the CPU a 280mm or 360mm AIO is recommended. Stock GPU cooling is fine.

If you don't want those you can use an

IceGiant ProSiphon Elite.

Failing that, noctua NH-D15.

Oh alright.. Thank you so much for your help!

On 6/14/2021 at 9:30 AM, NoahJohasen said:

Hi,

5. Motherboard :

or

7. Primary Storage :

or

As it is for work my recommendations are more for work than gaming, So I would want a big case to allow for more than just a SSD few drives inside.

Multicore is a must for working, so the 5900x or the 5950x for graphic programs, as is more RAM being more useful especially for video editing.

I'd go for a AiO watercooler with 3 fans. The case has to be built with that in mind.

Motherboard would need good LAN, USB 3, components and perhaps WiFi, so x570 series (not any of the B series) in the mid to high price bracket for quality components rather than cheap generic. Now so many presenters on Youtube go on about the B series boards, but what they fail to tell you most of the time is they are made for the mass market and use cheaper ways to cut costs. Great for young adults on a budget, but your a working man. A x570 will have more than just 1 NVME Gen 4 drive sometimes up to 3, compared to just 1 gen 4 + gen 3 on the B-board.

1TB or higher NVME gen 4 and 2 or more of them. Samsung rated as best overall when I last looked with WD black a close second but hotter running. I personally only use HDD as USB external back up drives, if I was working I'd unplug when not in use to have added anti malware protection.  I am dubious regarding NAS back-up after the ransomware scandal of this year. Better to not have the back up plugged in until you have to back up. 

I use internal SATA 3 SSD for storage now, just love the speed over SSHD or HDD and again I'd go Samsung just so you only need the one software to manage all the drives.

Use the motherboards sound chips, they are far more advanced now then when sound cards were the main event.

2. I might need to choose lower version? Which one would be your recommendation? 

Depends on your budget. If you can afford a 5900x without sacrificing anything else, then why not? But you will barely make use of it, to be quite honest.

7. Oh I see.. Yes I am going to use linux. Do you mean I need a separate NVMes? or I can choose to have 1 with bigger size for example 2Tb. Then set the partition type.

I prefer different drives since it makes it easier to recover stuff and whatnot, but there's no problem with going with a single bigger drive.

8. Do I still need hdd if I have already big ssd storage?

Again, it depends on your datasets, but probably not. You can always add another disk later on anyways.

I thought Ryzen is much more powerful than threadripper. But will have a look. 

Not much, it just has somewhat higher clocks, which are pretty much irrelevant for what you're doing. You'll be mostly dealing with training models and doing some data pre-processing, right? You won't be CPU bound in this case, no matter which CPU you pick.

3 hours ago, rockyroller said:

Multicore is a must for working, so the 5900x or the 5950x for graphic programs, as is more RAM being more useful especially for video editing.

He is dealing with ML tho, even a dual core CPU would be enough. More RAM is always welcome, 64gb is the minimum acceptable for any serious work.

3 hours ago, rockyroller said:

Motherboard would need good LAN, USB 3, components and perhaps WiFi, so x570 series (not any of the B series) in the mid to high price bracket for quality components rather than cheap generic. Now so many presenters on Youtube go on about the B series boards, but what they fail to tell you most of the time is they are made for the mass market and use cheaper ways to cut costs. Great for young adults on a budget, but your a working man. A x570 will have more than just 1 NVME Gen 4 drive sometimes up to 3, compared to just 1 gen 4 + gen 3 on the B-board.

B550 mobos are newer, and most of those are way better than mid range x570 since AMD forced the manufacturers to improve upon the build quality (that's why they're also so expensive). 

The Asus B550-F has good 2.5Gbit lan, USB3 and Wifi, while the B550-E also has an extreme overclocking potential (not like it would be useful here).

I'm not aware of any x570 with 3 NVMes, but those would be running at x2 due to chipset limitations, right? Anyhow, it doesn't matter for OP's case, a 3.0 NVMe would be more than enough.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

On 6/14/2021 at 9:30 AM, NoahJohasen said:

Hi,

5. Motherboard :

or

7. Primary Storage :

or

Seeing as this is a work related pc is RGB important ? The Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh might make more sense if you don't need flashing lights.

Whatever you do please avoid the MSI X570 Gaming Edge. It is one of the worst boards in terms of VRM thermals. A 5900X is not going to do well on that board. The B550 version on the other hand is excellent. 

A Gen 3 SSD will probably be fine unless you are doing lots of huge file transfers. If you only need 500GB then the WD Black SN750 is a good option.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/KTQG3C/western-digital-sn750-500-gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-wds500g3x0c

If it was me I would go with an air cooler over an AIO. Something like a Scythe Fuma 2. Just make sure it fits the case you buy (pcpartpicker will usually filter out coolers that don't fit).

The psu is fine.

5 hours ago, igormp said:

B550 mobos are newer, and most of those are way better than mid range x570 since AMD forced the manufacturers to improve upon the build quality (that's why they're also so expensive). 

The Asus B550-F has good 2.5Gbit lan, USB3 and Wifi, while the B550-E also has an extreme overclocking potential (not like it would be useful here).

I'm not aware of any x570 with 3 NVMes, but those would be running at x2 due to chipset limitations, right? Anyhow, it doesn't matter for OP's case, a 3.0 NVMe would be more than enough.

I was not left with that general impression after reading a few x570 vs b550 style of reviews. But in the end a buyer has to weigh each individual board on its merits and features.

Closing thoughts:

The B550 and X570 are excellent choices for Ryzen CPU’s as they provide the right amount of features like PCIe 4.0 and future CPU compatibility making these a good investment for your PC, especially if you are looking for upgrading to the next generation Zen 3 processors soon.

We recommend going with the B550 if you are looking to use a processor like the Ryzen 5 3600 with a decent level of overclocking and looking to use your desktop for a typical use case. You can use the money saved by going with the B550 to upgrade parts of your build like the SSD or GPU, which will give you a more significant performance upgrade over the X570.

The X570, on the other hand, is an excellent option for those looking to use the more powerful Ryzen processors like the Ryzen 9 series and enthusiasts looking to gain the maximum from their PC. If you need the extra high-speed ports, additional storage connections, or faster network connectivity, X570 boards have specialized versions to suit your needs without compromising on the performance of other components. The X570 works best with builds where the budget is not a constraint and proves to be highly reliable.

techedged.com

Yes, I decided to relook at one to refresh my memory by looking at one on the www, 1st 4th Gen nvme drive goes via the cpu like the b boards, the 2nd goes via the x570 chipset, and the 3rd nvme slot was a Gen 3 like the B boards.

Thank so much for all your helps. I really really appreciate all of them and learn a lot from all of you.

On 6/15/2021 at 7:54 PM, rockyroller said:

I was not left with that general impression after reading a few x570 vs b550 style of reviews. But in the end a buyer has to weigh each individual board on its merits and features.

Yes, I decided to relook at one to refresh my memory by looking at one on the www, 1st 4th Gen nvme drive goes via the cpu like the b boards, the 2nd goes via the x570 chipset, and the 3rd nvme slot was a Gen 3 like the B boards.

That article is nonsense. You do not suggest a board just by the chipset. There are X570 boards that will struggle and thermal throttle with a Ryzen 9 cpu. So saying X570 is best for that is not true at all. There are B550 boards with far better VRM's than some X570 boards, and vice versa.