New monitor but "No SIGNAL Detected"

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

Connect your monitor to the DVI connector on your motherboard.

Try with a DVI-HDMI passive adapter plugged into the motherboard connector. Or a DVI-HDMI cable, but would be a waste to buy a cable just for a test.

Maybe the HDMI connector on the motherboard is screwed, or the motherboard defaults to the DVI connector for some reason.

Issue: So, in about September 2020, my PC started bugging out so I replaced the motherboard and then my monitor stopped detecting my pc (but my tv detects it) so I replaced my monitor. The monitor is brand new, it detects my laptop but still not my PC; my PC connects to my tv but doesn't connect to my monitor. I've tried everything I could find on the internet but the issue persists.

PC specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G (Vega 11 integrated graphics).

Asus EX - A320M Gaming Motherboard.

Corsair Vengeance 1x16 GB DDR4 RAM.

Crucial BX500 120GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5-inch SSD.

Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB Internal HDD.

Monitor - BenQ gw2283 (The new one)

Thermaltake PS-TRS-0500NPCWEU-2 TR2 S 500W Power Supply.

Thanks for taking the time to read this 🙂

swapping out the cable is the first thing I would do. 

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

43 minutes ago, Anghammarad said:

swapping out the cable is the first thing I would do. 

I did! In fact, got a brand new cable. The problem still persists. Used the cable that was working with my PC and tv but it still persists 😕

Try with a DVI-HDMI passive adapter plugged into the motherboard connector. Or a DVI-HDMI cable, but would be a waste to buy a cable just for a test.

Maybe the HDMI connector on the motherboard is screwed, or the motherboard defaults to the DVI connector for some reason.

35 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Yeah that kinda makes sense but I don't think it defaults to dvi tho because I connect to my TV via HDMI and it works perfectly fine. So umm, do you think I should apply for a warranty on my motherboard?

Yeah you could probably apply for a warranty on motherboard, but I suspect you'd be disappointed when the board comes back without any fixes. 

It's a difficult flaw to diagnose... the repair person inspecting the motherboard may end up connecting 3-5 monitors to your motherboard and see them all working and give up, saying it's all good. 

In the meantime, you're out of an otherwise fully working motherboard for probably weeks.. 

What could be happening .. the hdmi has a 5v wire in it, which is meant to give enough power to a monitor or TV at the other end so that the tv or monitor can reply to the video card and say what resolutions are supported and other things .. basically little power to exchange some minimum info.

A lot of monitors and TVs  can work with or without the 5v from the hdmi cable, they have a circuit which "combines" both the 5v from hdmi  and from the monitor/tv power supply, so the circuit always works. It could be that the specific monitor you have may rely entirely on the power from the hdmi cable to respond, or maybe the hdmi cable is too low quality and there's too much power loss causing the monitor to not respond to the video card's request for information.

Maybe the HDMI connector on the motherboard doesn't send power, but the TV you connect to the motherboard has power from its own power supply and responds and the motherboard is happy. 

Maybe the laptop has a much stronger power output on the cable, or just doesn't care about that information and the monitor will work with the laptop... no idea.

Anyway, it's just guesses. 

10 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Yeah you could probably apply for a warranty on motherboard, but I suspect you'd be disappointed when the board comes back without any fixes. 

It's a difficult flaw to diagnose... the repair person inspecting the motherboard may end up connecting 3-5 monitors to your motherboard and see them all working and give up, saying it's all good. 

In the meantime, you're out of an otherwise fully working motherboard for probably weeks.. 

What could be happening .. the hdmi has a 5v wire in it, which is meant to give enough power to a monitor or TV at the other end so that the tv or monitor can reply to the video card and say what resolutions are supported and other things .. basically little power to exchange some minimum info.

A lot of monitors and TVs  can work with or without the 5v from the hdmi cable, they have a circuit which "combines" both the 5v from hdmi  and from the monitor/tv power supply, so the circuit always works. It could be that the specific monitor you have may rely entirely on the power from the hdmi cable to respond, or maybe the hdmi cable is too low quality and there's too much power loss causing the monitor to not respond to the video card's request for information.

Maybe the HDMI connector on the motherboard doesn't send power, but the TV you connect to the motherboard has power from its own power supply and responds and the motherboard is happy. 

Maybe the laptop has a much stronger power output on the cable, or just doesn't care about that information and the monitor will work with the laptop... no idea.

Anyway, it's just guesses. 

Man it sure is confusing but i think I kinda understand what all you said... Maybe I will get a DVI-HDMI adapter and check out. Do let me know if there's anything new that popped into your mind! Thanks a lot for the help, mate! 🙂

On 6/14/2021 at 4:15 PM, mariushm said:

Thanks a lot, mate! I got a DVI-HDMI Cable and it FINALLY worked! It doesn't have audio, but hey at least I can see something! Thanks again! : )