The 12$ windows activation key

tenarom6_official
Go to solution Solved by tenarom6_official,

I have seen a lot of sponsors of these type of stuff when I watch how to install windows after building my pc and I don't know, I don't trust them but at the same time I trust them. Like for example, Difference between $20 and $120

So should I trust them?

I have seen a lot of sponsors of these type of stuff when I watch how to install windows after building my pc and I don't know, I don't trust them but at the same time I trust them. Like for example, Difference between $20 and $120

So should I trust them?

Well, I always use the 10-20€ Keys from different shops.

They arent really legal and some shops that advertised how legal they were had to close, after Microsoft sued them.

So far all of the Keys I bought worked after some time (5x Win 10 Pro), but those were OEM licences, so you could not use them on a Win 10 Home machine and upgrade them to Pro. I had to reinstall Windows and use it during the Install, or use an upgrade key to Win 10 Pro beforehand.
One time the key did not work at first, but after an hour with their support hotline, they sent me a new one that worked.

So, the choice is yours, if you want to support those grey and sometimes illegal businesses.
I will continue buying those, since Im not willing to pay 100€+ on Win 10 that has built in ads.

My Gaming PC:
Inno3D iChill Black - RTX 4080 - +500 Memory, undervolted Core, 2xCorsair QX120 (push) + 2xInno3D 120mm (pull)
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D - NZXT x72
G.SKILL Trident Z @6000MHz CL30 - 2x16GB
Asus Strix X670E-E Gaming

1x500GB Samsung 960 Pro (Windows 11)

1x2TB Kingston KC3000 (Games)

1x1TB WD Blue SN550 (Programs)

1x1TB Samsung 870 EVO (Programs)
Corsair RM-850X

Lian Li O11 Vision
ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG27AQDM (240hz OLED), MSI Optix MAG274QRFDE-QD, BenQ ZOWIE XL2720

Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight
Wooting 60HE

Audeze LCD2-C + FiiO K3

Klipsch RP600-M + Klipsch R-120 SW

My Notebook:

MacBook Pro 16 M1 - 16GB

Proxmox-Cluster:

• Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus Strix X570E F-Gaming, 2x32GB3200MHz ECC, 2x 512GB NVMe ZFS-Mirror (Boot + Testing-VMs), 2x14TB ZFS-Mirror + 1x3TB (TrueNAS-VM), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 10G NIC
  • i7 8700k delidded undervolted, Gigabyte Z390 UD, 4x16GB 3200MHz, 1x 512GB SSD (Boot), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 2,5G NIC
  • i5 4670, 3x4GB + 1x8GB 1600MHz, 1x 512GB SSD (Boot), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 2,5G NIC

Proxmox-Backup-Server:

• i5 4670, 4x4GB 1600MHz, 2x2TB ZFS-Mirror, 2,5G NIC

they usually work, but there's a few downsides:

- there's no warranty of any sort. the seller may claim to have some sort of warranty, but if the key goes derp a year down the road you may have nowhere to go.

- while at least some of these keys come from 'clever' resellers doing an end run around microsoft's license agreement... software license keys are one of the ways criminals turn stolen money (credit card theft, etc.) into cash that's untrackable. usually the more "unreal" the deal is on the keys, the more likely they're of nefareous origin.

Essentially... if all you care about is to get rid of the "please activate windows" watermark.. there's little that can go wrong. BUT.. when you buy a shady key, chances are microsoft is going to see very little of that money, and chances also exist that you're sponsoring crime.

In my view buying a license key only makes sense if the money is going to the developer of the software, otherwise you might as well just "not' buy a key. The developer loses either way.

12 minutes ago, manikyath said:

they usually work, but there's a few downsides:

- there's no warranty of any sort. the seller may claim to have some sort of warranty, but if the key goes derp a year down the road you may have nowhere to go.

- while at least some of these keys come from 'clever' resellers doing an end run around microsoft's license agreement... software license keys are one of the ways criminals turn stolen money (credit card theft, etc.) into cash that's untrackable. usually the more "unreal" the deal is on the keys, the more likely they're of nefareous origin.

Essentially... if all you care about is to get rid of the "please activate windows" watermark.. there's little that can go wrong. BUT.. when you buy a shady key, chances are microsoft is going to see very little of that money, and chances also exist that you're sponsoring crime.

In my view buying a license key only makes sense if the money is going to the developer of the software, otherwise you might as well just "not' buy a key. The developer loses either way.

But the problem is that I need to spend $120 for just a custom wallpaper and remove the watermark. 120 DOLLARS IS ALOT, LITERALLY. So, The only chance I have is to buy from them. I have seen some reviews for specific website that have cheap license and they work. Usually big youtubers do it so I trust the youtuber and the website that they reviewed. This is my only chance.

1 minute ago, tenarom6_official said:

But the problem is that I need to spend $120 for just a custom wallpaper and remove the watermark. 120 DOLLARS IS ALOT, LITERALLY. So, The only chance I have is to buy from them. I have seen some reviews for specific website that have cheap license and they work. Usually big youtubers do it so I trust the youtuber and the website that they reviewed. This is my only chance.

you dont spend 120 bucks to set a wallpaper, you get an entire operating system for that price. MS is just not throwing you out the front door if you dont buy a license. sort of like winrar's infinite trial.

there's an end-run around the whole mess that you can do, essentially completely legally: find a boxed copy of any of the below, and you can use it to activate windows 10:

- upgrade key: windows vista to windows 7

- windows 7 (anything from home to ultimate, 32 or 64bit)

- upgrade key: windows 7 to windows 8 (or 8.1)

- windows 8 (or 8.1)

it happens that boxed copies are available online, for dirt cheap, because no one upgrades vista to 7 anymore.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

you dont spend 120 bucks to set a wallpaper, you get an entire operating system for that price. MS is just not throwing you out the front door if you dont buy a license. sort of like winrar's infinite trial.

there's an end-run around the whole mess that you can do, essentially completely legally: find a boxed copy of any of the below, and you can use it to activate windows 10:

- upgrade key: windows vista to windows 7

- windows 7 (anything from home to ultimate, 32 or 64bit)

- upgrade key: windows 7 to windows 8 (or 8.1)

- windows 8 (or 8.1)

it happens that boxed copies are available online, for dirt cheap, because no one upgrades vista to 7 anymore.

But Im on a budget and I already planned what setup to get for 700 and I won't downgrade my pc $100 less for just a key. I would just rather get from these type of websites. The trusted ones.

I'm not sure sure but I believe I even activated my W10 with an Wxp key.

Everybody has some of those keys laying around or sticked to pc/laptop cases/boxes, try it.

I do run my M Office with such a cheap key.

That cheap key probably won't work again if I ever reinstall

I'm willing to swim against the current.

12 bucks what a rip.  check eBay.  If it doesnt work eBay has good buyer protections and a perfect eBay score is very important to resellers.  I think the last time I got a key is was between 5 and 6 bucks