Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why 200 nit calibration?

When reviewing a monitor or TV, I often see people calibrate it to 200 nit for reference when testing other areas of their performance (contrast, power consumption etc.) 

I wonder why this is the case though? Why exactly 200 nits and why not more or less? It doesn't sond like a standard brightness that most people use (or do they?)

Everyone has to set the brightness to the value they are most comfortable with. For me it ended up at 150 nits. This value is not too dim for daytime viewing and not too bright for night time viewing. You'll have to play around with the brightness slider until you find something comfortable. The result will change for each person and each room. I recently did a calibration for a friend and because his room is rather dark even at daytime, his comfortable brightness ended up at 80 nits.

Also, the lower you can get your brightness, the more comfortable it will be for your eyes.

There is no real "standard value". Some reviewers measure while calibrated to 200 nits (Hardware Unboxed), some do it at 100 nits (Rtings). It really doesn't matter.

When you set your monitor to be dimmer, first it might look too dim. Just let your eyes adjust a few minutes and it and then make your decision to go brighter or dimmer.

Or course, capping your brightness to such low values only applies for SDR. For HDR you should keep it at 100% and let the PQ-mapping decide how bright it should be. In HDR the content-creator has to decide at what brightness it should run.

Dislaimer: If my post is older than 5 minutes, refresh the page. Most of my posts get edited straight away. 😄

PSU Tier List          AMD Motherboard Tier List          SSD Tier List

Current Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B550-E - GPU: PNY RTX 3080 XLR8 Epic-X - RAM: 4x8GB (32GB) G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz CL16 - PSU: Corsair RMx (2018) 850W - Storage: 500 GB Corsair MP600 (Boot) + 2 TB Sabrent Rocket Q (Storage) - Cooling: EK, HW Labs & Alphacool custom loop - Case: Lian-Li PC O11 Dynamic - Fans: 6x Noctua NF-A12x25 - AMP/DAC: FiiO K5 Pro - OS: Windows 10 Pro - Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG35VQ - Mouse: Logitech G Pro + Powerplay - Keyboard: Logitech G915 - Headphones: Beyerdynamic Amiron Home - Microphone: Antlion ModMic

Temperatures @steady state: Furmark + CinebenchR23 running for 1 hour. Fans @850RPM. Pump @1600RPM.

Water: 37°C

CPU: 73°C

GPU: 54°C

200 is way too bright for me, it's actually around 120-160, of course it's personal preference, color accuracy at the brightness you are comfortable with is important for some, there are also people that like their monitors oversaturated 😆 

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 185w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5450 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-32-280-24 ddr3733  bdie 1.49v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 2080 ti XC 1995//7600 325w 69C stock voltage (bad ocer) ll  8x nf12/14 fans 2x samsung 860 evo 500gb raid 0 ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll Corsair graphite 780T ll EVGA G2 1300w ll Windows 10 Pro ll NEC PA272w (movie, work mon) 1080p 60hzll Predator X27 4k144 hdr (using at 4:4:4 98 fan is dying)

old rig 8600k d15 evga 1080 ti hybrid  z370 extreme 4 2x8gb ddr3866 cl16 512gb nvme evo+ 860 evo 500gb raid 0 evga p2 1000w 

4 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Everyone has to set the brightness to the value they are most comfortable with. For me it ended up at 150 nits. This value is not too dim for daytime viewing and not too bright for night time viewing. You'll have to play around with the brightness slider until you find something comfortable. The result will change for each person and each room. I recently did a calibration for a friend and because his room is rather dark even at daytime, his comfortable brightness ended up at 80 nits.

Also, the lower you can get your brightness, the more comfortable it will be for your eyes.

There is no real "standard value". Some reviewers measure while calibrated to 200 nits (Hardware Unboxed), some do it at 100 nits (Rtings). It really doesn't matter.

When you set your monitor to be dimmer, first it might look too dim. Just let your eyes adjust a few minutes and it and then make your decision to go brighter or dimmer.

Or course, capping your brightness to such low values only applies for SDR. For HDR you should keep it at 100% and let the PQ-mapping decide how bright it should be. In HDR the content-creator has to decide at what brightness it should run.

guess I am the minority then, I actually prefer my monitor at at least 300 nit, perferably 350 although I tried to tone it down to 200 nit recently to save some electric bill

1 minute ago, e22big said:

guess I am the minority then, I actually prefer my monitor at at least 300 nit, perferably 350 although I tried to tone it down to 200 nit recently to save some electric bill

No you're not a minority. Like i said everyone has to set it how he needs or wants it. There is literally no drawback or advantage to higher or lower brightness when we're talking about SDR other than eye strain. And even this varies from person to person with some being affected less and some more.

Dislaimer: If my post is older than 5 minutes, refresh the page. Most of my posts get edited straight away. 😄

PSU Tier List          AMD Motherboard Tier List          SSD Tier List

Current Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B550-E - GPU: PNY RTX 3080 XLR8 Epic-X - RAM: 4x8GB (32GB) G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz CL16 - PSU: Corsair RMx (2018) 850W - Storage: 500 GB Corsair MP600 (Boot) + 2 TB Sabrent Rocket Q (Storage) - Cooling: EK, HW Labs & Alphacool custom loop - Case: Lian-Li PC O11 Dynamic - Fans: 6x Noctua NF-A12x25 - AMP/DAC: FiiO K5 Pro - OS: Windows 10 Pro - Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG35VQ - Mouse: Logitech G Pro + Powerplay - Keyboard: Logitech G915 - Headphones: Beyerdynamic Amiron Home - Microphone: Antlion ModMic

Temperatures @steady state: Furmark + CinebenchR23 running for 1 hour. Fans @850RPM. Pump @1600RPM.

Water: 37°C

CPU: 73°C

GPU: 54°C