Xeon E5-2650v2 or XEON E5-2658V2

Alright, So I am building a small server style workstation to replace my old IBM. Previous pc had 24 threads. Main reason I'm doing this is I also want it to be ATX form factor. So I got the run of the mill Chinese dual X79 board, 64 gb of ram, and I got ~18 2tb drives lying around. 

So I plan to use the server just for Testing, VMs, and Maybe some game servers like Minecraft or ARK on the side. 

I know this system sounds kinda stupid, but honestly just building it to fill the right side of my WP200 at this point :/. 

The reason I have the 2 cpus above listed, is they fall within my budget of 100 bucks for the cpus. 

So with that said, Which one would be better? (Running duals)

Id probalby go 2650 v2, the clock speed is a good amount better, which many programs care about a good amount, like game servers. TDP is also the same. You probably won' t need the extra multithreaded performance.

10 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id probalby go 2650 v2, the clock speed is a good amount better, which many programs care about a good amount, like game servers. TDP is also the same. You probably won' t need the extra multithreaded performance.

appreciate the answer, also so happens the 2650s are half the price lmao

Any reason you need this many threads? A simple ryzen system could be plenty for your needs and perform better for half the tasks.

6 hours ago, jaslion said:

Any reason you need this many threads? A simple ryzen system could be plenty for your needs and perform better for half the tasks.

Like I said above, I do Virtualization and make game servers every once and a while, and my budget for the board ram and cpu was 300 bucks. So I have 100 bucks left for cpus. 

10 hours ago, BOBWARPATH said:

Like I said above, I do Virtualization and make game servers every once and a while, and my budget for the board ram and cpu was 300 bucks. So I have 100 bucks left for cpus. 

Oh ok then there is little choice.