Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Update.

litttrash

Hey guys, this isnt me but a friend of mine has been trying to update his windows 81 computer to windows 10 and when doing so he gets an error. (Same one both times) Does anyone know how to troubleshoot this or if theres an easy fix? Also the link attatched just tells him things hes already done but I covered it incase it leaks info or anything

image0.jpg

Win10 is no longer a free update from Win8.1. Whatever triggered this update probably was some older script.

Or the 8.1 version installed on this sytem wasn't updated for such a long time that it still included code which made it eligible for a free Win10 update.

It was probably installed from an older ISO.

I don't think there's any fix, Win10 is no longer a free upgrade so it rejected it after it downloaded the packs from the web.

You'd have to get a license or get a free ISO and use it without activating it. Or find a way to activate it.

2 minutes ago, TudorF said:

Win10 is no longer a free update from Win8.1. Whatever triggered this update probably was some older script.

Or the 8.1 version installed on this sytem wasn't updated for such a long time that it still included code which made it eligible for a free Win10 update.

I don't think there's any fix, Win10 is no longer a free upgrade so it rejected it after it downloaded the packs from the web.

You'd have to get a license or get a free ISO and use it without activating it. Or find a way to activate it.

Hm.. He says he has the key to activate windows is that what your talking about does he need to do something with that?

@litttrash

Then install from an ISO created with Microsoft's media creation tool. You can download a Windows installation image file for free.

Then use your license to activate it. But you have to make sure you download the one you have a license for.

Some are not available for free, like Enterprise, because they have a different regime.

So download a free Windows 10 ISO, use Rufus to write a bootable USB drive then install off of that.

Or use Microsoft's tool which does about the same.

5 minutes ago, TudorF said:

@litttrash

Then install from an ISO created with Microsoft's media creation tool. You can download a Windows installation image file for free.

Then use your license to activate it. But you have to make sure you download the one you have a license for.

Some are not available for free, like Enterprise, because they have a different regime.

So download a free Windows 10 ISO, use Rufus to write a bootable USB drive then install off of that.

Or use Microsoft's tool which does about the same.

He used the microsoft media tool, but once going through everything and waiting through the update he would get the erro listed in the original post.

@litttrash No need to update or upgrade. Just erase or install over the previous.

Create the bootable USB Windows installation media and boot off of that and install Windows 10 on that disk partition.

No need to update anything because upgrading from 8.1 to 10 is not available anymore. I don't understand what does this have to do with 8.1.

You just install as if there was nothing on that disk, from scratch. And it should work, if the ISO Windows image was not corrupted and if the bootable drive was done right.

2 minutes ago, TudorF said:

@litttrash No need to update. Just erase or install over the previous.

Create the bootable USB Windows installation media and boot off of that and install Windows 10 on that disk partition.

No need to update anything because upgraing from 8.1 to 10 is not available anymore. I don't understand what does this have to do with 8.1.

You just install as if there was nothing on that disk, from scratch. And it should work, if the ISO Windows image was not corrupted and if the bootable drive was done right.

would it work if you install straight from the tool? Or would he need to install it to a usb first?

@litttrash The tool uses a USB drive to create a bootable Windows installation disk.

He could also just get the ISO file from Microsoft's site, use Rufus and burn it on the USB drive. It will work just as well.

3 hours ago, TudorF said:

Yes it is still free, although not advertised. I used a W7 key a few months ago to upgrade.

https://www.techradar.com/news/microsoft-admits-you-can-still-upgrade-to-windows-10-for-free-heres-how

JP

18 hours ago, TudorF said:

@litttrash The tool uses a USB drive to create a bootable Windows installation disk.

He could also just get the ISO file from Microsoft's site, use Rufus and burn it on the USB drive. It will work just as well.

hes installing it straigght to the pc, with the other option the media tool gives him, this way he can keep his files. He goes through the install and gets the error. Hes not sure what to do he doesnt get the option to enter a key, and he has a legitemate copy of windows 8.1

EDIT: Once it gets to 99 % installing his screen goes black and gets to a screen that tells him its "undoing the changes" and once it reboots normally he gets that error on his windows home