Apple's Privacy Relay is NOT a VPN

fUnDaMeNtAl_knobhead

Summary

Apple's New Privacy Relay is Not a VPN rather it's as far as I understand a Proxy with No Overcoming of Geo Blocks and only encrypts the DNS traffic.

Quotes

APPLE PRIVATE RELAY VS. A STANDARD VPN

VPN Private Relay
Your public IP (where you are and who you are) is encrypted, start to finish Yes No
Assigns you a new IP when you connect Yes Yes
All outgoing data from your device is encrypted Yes No
You can overcome geo-location blocks and censorship to access media Yes No
Your traffic blends in with everyone else's via obfuscation Yes No

My thoughts

I really hoped that this might be a VPN but no this isn't. It also isn't available in some region. I would also like to know if it is really effective at all.

Sources

No, Apple's Private Relay is not a VPN - CNET

I have an ASUS G14 2021 with Manjaro KDE and I am a professional Linux NoOB and also pretty bad at General Computing.

ALSO I DON'T EDIT MY POSTS* NOWADAYS SO NO NEED TO REFRESH BEFORE REPLYING *unless I edit my post

-= Political Derailment Removed =-

My finger is hovering over the Lock Button.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

5 hours ago, linux fanboy said:

I would also like to know if it is really effective at all.

Depends on the user case, is it effective at stoping trackers from using your IP address to track over you?

Yes for 2 reasons:

1) Multiple users traffic will be a assigned to the same IP (from the perspective of the server you at talking to)
2) New TCP connection you make will end up on different IPs there is not stable IP binding (long term over days of usage)

Will it let you do other things that it never promised, things that are all to do with VPNs like changing regions etc? NO, it is not a VPN.

If it were a VPN, Apple would have put that in the keynote. It’s not, so it’s really not a big surprise that it can’t spoof your location since it was never intended to. It’s effectively free to anyone with iCloud storage so it’s pretty cool imo. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

It's more like an anonymous proxy. It just hides the IP, but doesn't encrypt or otherwise change the requests.

its slow thats what it is. Probably because dev preview, only good if you're in the US. 

Not surprising really.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

13 hours ago, RejZoR said:

It's more like an anonymous proxy. It just hides the IP, but doesn't encrypt or otherwise change the requests.

Apple's Private Relay does encrypt the traffic.

I feel like a lot of people, including the person who wrote this article, doesn't really understand what Private Relay is or even what a VPN is. That's why she brings up irrelevant stuff like "A VPN supports split tunneling while this doesn't" as some kind of drawback. Since this only seems to work in the browser, you kind of do have a type of split tunneling built in. But you might not want split tunneling. Split tunneling might be bad, depending on what you want.

To be honest though, I am not entirely sure how Private Relay works either since there isn't much info out there about it. I think we should wait and look at how it works before we start comparing it against things like VPNs and decided which is "the best", if there is even a clear winner (my guess is that both will have some pros and cons).

18 hours ago, RejZoR said:

It does encrypt but it does not hide the fact that it has encrypted, it does not try to make the traffic look like regular HTTPs traffic, so if an ISP (or gov) did not want you to do this they could easily detect it and block it but they could not inspect it.

Was it ever marketed as a VPN? 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

7 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Was it ever marketed as a VPN? 

No. It was marketed as a privacy function of limited scope whose purpose is to encrypt traffic and hide real IP. It only works within iCloud Mail.

21 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

It only works within iCloud Mail.

No it doesn't.

You're probably getting it partially mixed up with "private email relay", which is an iCloud mail feature where it sets up an alias for your email. That was always encrypted, and "hid your IP" because that's simply how email works. Or maybe you're getting it confused with the new Apple email client's function that does things like block tracking pixels.

This is iCloud Private Relay. Very similar name, but works in a completely different way. Private Relay is for hiding your IP and encrypting your traffic when you browse the web. It is not limited to emails.

Here is where they announced Private Relay:

My initial understand that this was closer to a TOR type onion network browser thing, though much fewer hops etc.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

2 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

My initial understand that this was closer to a TOR type onion network browser thing, though much fewer hops etc.

That's what I've gathered too, but there is so little detail about it I am not sure.

It seems like it's quite similar to Tor, except the entry node is always Apple, and the exit node is always the unnamed third party (which so far seems to be Cloudflare).

All this focus on whether or not it is a "VPN" is kind of irrelevant if you ask me. It's clearly not a VPN because it doesn't build a VPN tunnel or modify the routing or behave anything like a VPN on the protocol level. But you seem to get the same benefits as what some people use a VPN for (confidentiality) so why does it matter what protocol it uses?

Tor isn't a VPN either, but it provides dramatically higher privacy than using some VPN provider does. A VPN is just one way of achieving some desired outcome, but it's not the only one and it's not necessarily the best in every situation.

Private Relay is not, strictly speaking, a VPN. We're still waiting on details on how the service works, but confusing it for a VPN may prove dangerous to those who rely on them for personal safety, and ineffective for those seeking ways around government censorship. 

A classic CNET article. They don't know how something works but they are going to go ahead and give you commentary that would require that information to be accurate.

-kp