Questions about a Windows reinstall

IAmAndre

Hi,

I'm having all kinds of issues with my laptop including slowness and some features not working (fingerprint scanner, touch screen, sleep mode...). So I want to attempt one last thing which is to reinstall Windows because I haven't done since I got the laptop 5 years ago.

Since this isn't my main computer I don't have much to lose, so I'd like to know what's the best way to proceed between

• formatting it entirely using GParted or something like that
  •  reinstalling Windows and selecting the full reinstall option
  • reinstalling Windows with the option to keep the files.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are driver issues and things like that so I'd like to make sure all the drivers are gone, then reinstall the manufacturer's tools. Any tips?

FYI it's a first generation Huawei Matebook.

I didn't have an issue like yours but I did have an issue where most of the time when booting into normal windows I just got a black screen, despite that safe mode worked fine. I reinstalled windows selecting the full reinstall option and it seems to have fixed the issue.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Aenean vel luctus dolor. Aliquam convallis hendrerit erat dignissim sodales. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas.

Don't be bothered by the toxic idiots of the community. Somebody will always try to get you annoyed. The best fight is not giving them any attention. Never forget this!!

Spoiler

print("Hello World")

43 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

Hi,

I'm having all kinds of issues with my laptop including slowness and some features not working (fingerprint scanner, touch screen, sleep mode...). So I want to attempt one last thing which is to reinstall Windows because I haven't done since I got the laptop 5 years ago.

Since this isn't my main computer I don't have much to lose, so I'd like to know what's the best way to proceed between

• formatting it entirely using GParted or something like that
  •  reinstalling Windows and selecting the full reinstall option
  • reinstalling Windows with the option to keep the files.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are driver issues and things like that so I'd like to make sure all the drivers are gone, then reinstall the manufacturer's tools. Any tips?

FYI it's a first generation Huawei Matebook

You probably have a driver issue. But anyways,

If you want to re-install Windows, simply backup all your personal data as all data in the main drive (if more than one) will be lost.

Get a USB flash drive of 8GB of over (faster the better), make sure you have nothing of importance inside as all data will be gone from it, as well.

Then simply connect the USB flash drive to your PC, then download and run: Microsoft's Media Creation Tool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10 )

This tool will download the lastest version of Windows 10, then format your USB flash drive to the required specs, extract Windows 10 files that were just downloaded on the USB flash drive, then make your USB flash drive bootable.

Now you are ready to install Windows on your system. On your way, make sure your UEFI/BIOS is properly configured (UEFI enabled (nor set to Legacy), CSM disabled, etc. And your BIOS/UEFI is updated).

Once all checks out: Simply restart your system and make it boot to your USB Flash drive instead of your main drive (refer to your laptop manual or support site, it's different for every systems) If you have the option to boot to your USB flash drive or "UEFI: <Name of USB flash drive>", pick the UEFI one.

Then just your language, pick Install, then on Custom (the other option is Upgrade), and follow the rest. Feel free to delete any partition you don't care. Windows Setup will create what it needs automatically. 

When asked about a product key, simply pick "I don't have one", the setup will resume. It will find the product key stored in the UEFI chip and use that.

Once you get to the desktop for the first time, let Windows do its thing. It will finish installing things in the back, check for updates, install drivers (your screen will flicker at some point randomly, that is your GPU driver being installed in the back).

When things seems to calm down in terms of activity, and Start menu items all show up (no down arrows on tiles), now you are ready now get started:

• Check again for additional updates
  • Check Device Manager if any drivers are missing, if so, install them.
  • Make sure every feature of your laptop are working
  • Now you are ready to install your stuff and restore your data.

3 minutes ago, Dan_xGorishi said:

Last time i reinstalled Windows a backup wasn't needed as it automatically created a "windows old" folder containing all of my files from the previous install, seemed to be a full copy of the C (main) drive which was quite convenient... Not sure how that works tho as i don't remember coming across any setting on Windows in regards to that

It is because you didn't format the drive or delete the partition. Always backups, you never know, unless you like to live dangerously.