Not able to change DRAM Frequency

Herobone
Go to solution Solved by HanZie82,

2666Mhz is actually 1333Mhz but dual-data-rate(DDR).

Most likely you will have to select the right line in the BIOS (Most likely with the speed on it).

Then press pageUp/dwn or the Plus/Minus signs on the numpad to actually change the value.

Only thing you could change are the timings, but they might already be on the best they can.

DDR explained far better then i can:

Hello Guys,

I've searched the internet for about two hours today and more even in the last days and tried everything. But nothing works. So my problem is the following:

I've built myself a PC a couple of years ago. It's not anything that will blow your mind, just something that works. Lately i've seen a video that was like "Make your PC faster for free" which just said switch on XMP. I also did that on a computer of a friend of mine. Then just out of curiosity I checked if I switched it on on my PC when I built it. I was sure I did it but apparently according to CPU-Z the RAM is still clocked at 1333MHz.

My hardware is the following:

• Memory: 2* Crucial CT8G4DFS8266.8FH1 (8GB DDR4 - 2666 1.2V CL19)
  • Motherboard: MSI Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-8400
  • BIOS Version: E7B45IMS.A60

This is the memory section of my Motherboard:

IMG_6531.thumb.jpg.6876f2b8aa1390b7c2ccac1f41b6088e.jpg

As you might see XMP is not an option here. I played around with the DRAM Frequency Setting as well as the "Memory Try It!" Setting. Nothing changed the speed ot the memory.

In Task Manager it reports as 2667 MHz Memory but CPU-Z shows this results (For both sticks):

IMG_0446.thumb.jpg.89ef7b2a808a1446fb30fb592727d339.jpg

Am I just stupid and don't know how DRAM Frequency works or is that the wrong Frequency that's shown there? And if it's the wrong frequency how can I change it. The BIOS has no option to enable XMP or change the frequency apart from what is shown in the first picture.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Herobone

Most likely you will have to select the right line in the BIOS (Most likely with the speed on it).

Then press pageUp/dwn or the Plus/Minus signs on the numpad to actually change the value.

Only thing you could change are the timings, but they might already be on the best they can.

DDR explained far better then i can:

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Click on MEM tab. SPD tab is not where you check your RAM speed. Not to mention you can take screenshots without having to take a photo of your screen lol.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Levent said:

Not to mention you can take screenshots without having to take a photo of your screen lol.

True, but lets be honest, these are the better ones. 😛
Also no option in most BIOSs to make screenshots, i would think by now to have it on most.
(iirc MSI has a button to make a screeny, but im not sure.)

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Just now, HanZie82 said:

Also no option in most BIOSs to make screenshots, i would think by now to have it on most.

Most UEFI-capable ASUS boards have the option to take screenshots. They do have to go to a FAT32 USB flash drive, and it does save them as bitmaps (I think there's a setting to change that? Not sure as I haven't done much poking around there) but it's still screenshots.

I've used that feature maybe 4 times when I was trying to figure out how to adjust CPU voltage manually.

Turned out my BIOS was borked (voltage field was grayed out) and an update fixed it.

elephants

Thanks for the quick answers.

46 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

So in conclusion it was my error assuming that 1333MHz in CPU-Z was the wrong value.

44 minutes ago, Levent said:

Click on MEM tab. SPD tab is not where you check your RAM speed. Not to mention you can take screenshots without having to take a photo of your screen lol.

I also looked in the MEM tab where the same frequency was shown. Just so show the timings also if needed. The reason why I didn't take a screenshot from within the UEFI is because the only USB Stick I know the location of is a XUbuntu Bootstick. The reason why I didn't take a screenshot from within Windows is just because I'm lazy and already started this post on my Laptop.

1 minute ago, Herobone said:

Thanks for the quick answers.

So in conclusion it was my error assuming that 1333MHz in CPU-Z was the wrong value.

I also looked in the MEM tab where the same frequency was shown. Just so show the timings also if needed. The reason why I didn't take a screenshot from within the UEFI is because the only USB Stick I know the location of is a XUbuntu Bootstick. The reason why I didn't take a screenshot from within Windows is just because I'm lazy and already started this post on my Laptop.

image.png.5bd5f16bd4c3204ffdc696540be0d504.png

These are the currently applied values. Those ones you showed are JEDEC standards.

Here is my SPD tab for example. Can you spot the difference? My rams are advertised to work at 2133 while I run at at 3200. There is a difference.

image.png.a51091fbf3a707c25e66a8ff0aa8c4fc.png

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18