My PSU is starting to die after 6 months.

NICULL

I've built a brand new pc in november 3 2020, the psu is a corsair cv650, its more than enough for may system. On day 2 of using it i started hearing some weird coil whine coming from it, so i did a bunch of stress tests and bench marks and everything. It ran perfectly fine, i checked reviews, there were no people saying it has any issues. 3 months later there were at least 3 people with the same whining noise coming from it in the reviews section and then all sent it to warranty or refunded it. Mine still had no issues besides that noise which only happened in heavier loads that i still didnt hear anyway because of my headphones. This morning i turn on my pc and nothing, no signal. i turn off the pc and drain the power for 5 seconds and then it starts boot cycling, i turn it off again and drain the power for 30 seconds, then it posted into safemode saying there is a system instability. No its not the ram, motherboard, gpu or any drives. i tested them all individually they are completely fine. the psu cost me 80 euro/dollars. I have an RTX 2060 and a Ryzen 7 2700x. running on optimal power mode at the lowest possible power limit.

Wat ze fuck

Screenshot_5.png

Screenshot_2.png

That safe mode is because you interrupted start up, as it says. Try resetting it, should get rid of BIOS-safe-mode.

22 minutes ago, NICULL said:

running on optimal power mode at the lowest possible power limit.

Please explain, cus if i think it is what i think it is, turning that down will make your PC run like a snail.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

12 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

That safe mode is because you interrupted start up, as it says. Try resetting it, should get rid of BIOS-safe-mode.

Please explain, cus if i think it is what i think it is, turning that down will make your PC run like a snail.

It the power setting in nvidia control panel, set to optimal, and msi after burner set to the lowest one. For lower temps and power usage. i did benchmarks this literally doesnt affect performance at all. i done this last month

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_4.png

Just now, NICULL said:

It the power setting in nvidia control panel, set to optimal, and msi after burner set to the lowest one. For lower temps and power usage. i did benchmarks this literally doesnt affect performance at all. i done this last month

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_4.png

Ah yes, totally not what i thought of. 🙂

Also do you have a watt-meter to check the power the PSU gets?
Isnt coil whine increased by bad power delivery? (Not sure on that one).

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

4 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Nope i dont have a watt-metter or osciloscope or watever. But this is literally the only *sus* thing about my system. It starts to make that coil whine noise when it needs to deliver more power to gpu. it happened in 90% of the games i played except forza and tf2.

51 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Not sure how long this psu will last me tho, its not really that good for high end ish systems. but i have seen most people pair it with the same specs as mine and have no issue i hope i really just got a bad product from factory. i cant upgrade my psu for atleast another year.

So what's your question exactly ? You've done some troubleshooting already it seems and if you're confident that the problem is the PSU then RMA it, end of the story. As a side note, coil whine has nothing to do with your issue and is not an issue in general, especially with rather low-end PSU such as this.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

7 minutes ago, Juular said:

So what's your question exactly ? You've done some troubleshooting already it seems and if you're confident that the problem is the PSU then RMA it, end of the story. As a side note, coil whine has nothing to do with your issue and is not an issue in general, especially with rather low-end PSU such as this.

Well is the psu enough for my system? on paper it seems like it. And can you recommend me a better psu? for a similar price (80 dollars max) 550/650w

6 minutes ago, NICULL said:

Well is the psu enough for my system? on paper it seems like it. And can you recommend me a better psu? for a similar price (80 dollars max) 550/650w

Wattage-wise it is, and even overall it is too, but it's going to have coil whine, if you don't want that, get a better PSU. Specific recommendations would depend on what's available to you, that varies by region, and you don't seem to be from US, where are you from ?

8 minutes ago, Juular said:

Wattage-wise it is, and even overall it is too, but it's going to have coil whine, if you don't want that, get a better PSU. Specific recommendations would depend on what's available to you, that varies by region, and you don't seem to be from US, where are you from ?

I don't mind the coil whine i just kinda want it to not die after 6 months. I live in romania, 3rd world country. psus aren't expensive nor scarce its just we kinda get shittier products in general sometimes from factory. i once bough a "Brand new" g502 hero and it turned out to be an rma product sold as new with switches that died in 1 year.

I did not know this psu was more budget oriented. People recommended it to me and i was and still somewat am a new pc builder, And it seemed just fine.

10 minutes ago, NICULL said:

I don't mind the coil whine i just kinda want it to not die after 6 months.

Dual forward PSUs don't like transient response, so when the GPU is heavily loaded, the transformer will make a coil whine.

It's harmless except that it can be annoying, and the CV650 should be able to handle the 2060 perfectly, at least because it includes DC to DC.

8 minutes ago, NICULL said:

I live in romania

Any online stores i can take a look at ?

2 minutes ago, Juular said:

Any online stores i can take a look at ?

https://www.pcgarage.ro the place i bought all my parts from including the psu, which they have in stock rn so they might send back a brand new model. i currently am writing this from the same pc, will send it tomorrow or the day after.

4 minutes ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

Dual forward PSUs don't like transient response, so when the GPU is heavily loaded, the transformer will make a coil whine.

It's harmless except that it can be annoying, and the CV650 should be able to handle the 2060 perfectly, at least because it includes DC to DC.

Well, i don't understand why it didn't boot into windows this morning still? literally nothing just no signal. and then i drained the power and started it again.

15 minutes ago, NICULL said:

I don't mind the coil whine i just kinda want it to not die after 6 months

Well, just replace the CV650 then, i don't see anything particularly better there below ~400 RON.

1 minute ago, Juular said:

Well, just replace the CV650 then, i don't see anything particularly better there below ~400 RON.

Can't really afford anything for atleast another year, im just 15 and you are not really allowed to work anywhere here until 16/18. Will save up some money from relatives and holidays to buy like a 550w seasonic gold or something. for now im just gonna send this to warranty and get a replacement. thanks for the help

1 hour ago, Juular said:

This is what it sounds like btw 

I just opened a game, Distance on steam the only game i own that supports RTX with everything turned up to ultra and only sitting in the main menu for a bit. the higher the fps is the louder that sound is.

39 minutes ago, NICULL said:

Yeah, typical coil whine, but it could be a GPU too.

3 minutes ago, Juular said:

Yeah, typical coil whine, but it could be a GPU too.

It's thankfully not the gpu. Had coil whine on my old 1050 Ti, horrible grinding noise.

I will post again here when i get the psu back from warranty. 

1 hour ago, NICULL said:

Yeah.  That's typical transformer whine when you use a double forward PSU on a high end graphics card.  

8 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Yeah.  That's typical transformer whine when you use a double forward PSU on a high end graphics card.  

Wouldn't really say its high end lol.  its between medium and high end i guess

20 minutes ago, NICULL said:

Wouldn't really say its high end lol.  its between medium and high end i guess

It's high end compared to 1060, 1070 or a number of Radeon Polaris cards.

I really wish we didn't have to make double forward PSUs to meet price points.  But there are too many people in third world countries not willing/able to spend at least $100 on a decent PSU.

30 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

I really wish we didn't have to make double forward PSUs to meet price points.  But there are too many people in third world countries not willing/able to spend at least $100 on a decent PSU.

Where I live, the CV650 is $100, and I had to pay $220 for my RM750x. And that was before the crazy pricing issues.

Today, at one of the shops that has some of the best prices, the RM750 (non-x) sells at $225, the RM850 and MSI A850GF sell at $270, and the RM1000x sells at $395.
That's not Corsair's fault, but that gives some context to why people are buying CVs instead of RMs

EDIT : Do you understand now why I wanted you to send me the 2021 RMx for free testing ? 😄

22 minutes ago, electropical said:

Where I live, the CV650 is $100, and I had to pay $220 for my RM750x. And that was before the crazy pricing issues.

Today, at one of the shops that has some of the best prices, the RM750 (non-x) sells at $225, the RM850 and MSI A850GF sell at $270, and the RM1000x sells at $395.
That's not Corsair's fault, but that gives some context to why people are buying CVs instead of RMs

EDIT : Do you understand now why I wanted you to send me the 2021 RMx for free testing ? 😄

That's insane.  MSRP for CV650 is $69.99.  Someone is making some SERIOUS coin selling it for $100 (I'm assuming you're doing the currency conversion).  That should be criminal.