Upgrading a prebuilt pc, what will be compatible?

Go to solution Solved by Wh0_Am_1,

If you are running the SFF model then you are looking at (if you can find them) a GTX 1050, 1050 ti, or a 1650 all in LP form factor. If you have the mid-tower then you are looking at (once again assuming you can find them) a GTX 1060, 1660, or 1660 ti. The 1660 ti being if not the fastest card I would pair with anything from 4th gen Intel, then it's close (I might be convinced to recommend a 2060) Now of the 1060, 1660, or 1660 ti, if you are willing to be a little jank with your setup, you can just purchase a SATA to PCIE (double check that you get the correct pinout for your card either 6 or 8) power adapter and run these cards off the existing PSU. I've run several HP Elitedesk 800 g1 mid towers with the GTX 1060 using the 6 pin model of the previous adapter on the existing PSU, these things can take the abuse at they are 80+ Platinum PSUs designed for maximum power efficiency, so because the quality of the components we can skirt a bit closer to the max capacity of these PSUs without worrying about issues unlike the 80+, or 80+ Bronze of similar wattage models that are standard on the market, which rather than for power efficiency are lower capacity simply for the reason of being cheap, even still though I would not recommend pushing your luck past 120 watts.

So I just bought a HP Elitedesk 800 g1, and I'm looking to upgrade the graphics card and power supply. I'm new at this and my budget is $400, I want it to get at least 50 fps on gta 5. I'm not sure what is compatible with it and would fit it, could someone help me find a gpu that would work good with it? https://support.hp.com/ph-en/document/c03808397 Here are the specifications for it. ^^

5 minutes ago, Phlouwiere said:

and I'm looking to upgrade the graphics card and power supply.

You’ll need to adapt a suddenly psu to the motherboard and drill some new holes in the back of the chassis to fit an atx motherboard in, because the psu in the mid tower ones is about the right size but not mounted the same way

here’s the 24 pin to proprietary nonsense adapter for the 800 g1

https://www.moddiy.com/products/HP-EliteDesk-800-PSU-Main-Power-24-Pin-to-6-Pin-Adapter-Cable-30cm.html

If this is a slim or small form factor model, not gonna even be worth a psu upgrade because just about nothing would fit short of some TFX power supplies and there wouldn’t be much point anyway because the best low profile gpus are 75 watts as is

if it’s a mid tower it’s less of an issue

If you are running the SFF model then you are looking at (if you can find them) a GTX 1050, 1050 ti, or a 1650 all in LP form factor. If you have the mid-tower then you are looking at (once again assuming you can find them) a GTX 1060, 1660, or 1660 ti. The 1660 ti being if not the fastest card I would pair with anything from 4th gen Intel, then it's close (I might be convinced to recommend a 2060) Now of the 1060, 1660, or 1660 ti, if you are willing to be a little jank with your setup, you can just purchase a SATA to PCIE (double check that you get the correct pinout for your card either 6 or 8) power adapter and run these cards off the existing PSU. I've run several HP Elitedesk 800 g1 mid towers with the GTX 1060 using the 6 pin model of the previous adapter on the existing PSU, these things can take the abuse at they are 80+ Platinum PSUs designed for maximum power efficiency, so because the quality of the components we can skirt a bit closer to the max capacity of these PSUs without worrying about issues unlike the 80+, or 80+ Bronze of similar wattage models that are standard on the market, which rather than for power efficiency are lower capacity simply for the reason of being cheap, even still though I would not recommend pushing your luck past 120 watts.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

8 hours ago, 8tg said:

You’ll need to adapt a suddenly psu to the motherboard and drill some new holes in the back of the chassis to fit an atx motherboard in, because the psu in the mid tower ones is about the right size but not mounted the same way

here’s the 24 pin to proprietary nonsense adapter for the 800 g1

https://www.moddiy.com/products/HP-EliteDesk-800-PSU-Main-Power-24-Pin-to-6-Pin-Adapter-Cable-30cm.html

If this is a slim or small form factor model, not gonna even be worth a psu upgrade because just about nothing would fit short of some TFX power supplies and there wouldn’t be much point anyway because the best low profile gpus are 75 watts as is

if it’s a mid tower it’s less of an issue

This is what it ishttps://www.amazon.com/HP-800-G1-Performance-Professional/dp/B07NL4CT8L/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=hp+elitedesk+800&qid=1623100492&sr=8-14 . It's the form factor model (SFF), I needed the psu upgrade to run a better graphics card that can handle good gameplay. Would it be possible to easily switch out psu's and then insert a gpu? 

23 hours ago, Phlouwiere said:

This is what it ishttps://www.amazon.com/HP-800-G1-Performance-Professional/dp/B07NL4CT8L/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=hp+elitedesk+800&qid=1623100492&sr=8-14 . It's the form factor model (SFF), I needed the psu upgrade to run a better graphics card that can handle good gameplay. Would it be possible to easily switch out psu's and then insert a gpu? 

You are pretty much locked with up to a 1650 (at the moment) in that system. To upgrade further you are either looking at a significant amount of modding or spending another systems worth on new components. Such as a new MOBO and PSU if you can get them to fit, and then finding someway to mount a full height card in a half height case.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!