Trying to boot Windows 7 from NVME drive.

Robert3750

I decided to install an NVME drive (Samsung EVO 970 Plus) to install Windows 7 on to get more speed.  I have an existing Windows 7 installation that runs fine.  I installed the Samsung NVME driver, and Windows recognized it.  I can do everything with it EXCEPT boot into Windows from it.  I did a lot of reading on how to modify my BIOS to recognize the NVME drive, and I succeeded in doing so.  I converted the NVME drive to GPT.   I cloned my Windows 7 installation to the NVME drive (I HATE the idea of having to install Windows on the NVME drive from scratch).  The BIOS sees the drive, and also sees Windows Boot Manager in the boot priority list.  When I choose Boot Manager as first priority, the computer ignores the NVME drive and goes straight to the preexisting Windows installation.  No Boot Manager menu appears.  I tried simply disconnecting the old drive, and got a missing boot disk error.  What do I need to do to boot to the NVME drive???   What drives me crazy is that I did the same thing a few years ago, except I cloned Windows from a small HDD to a larger one (GPT) and it worked perfectly.  I can't remember how I did it.

What board are you using? Board and OS nvme support is fully different. Since the bios sees the drive, its all a windows 7 limit here.

Id just use sata here, as there is basically no speed difference

Really run windows 10 here, it supports new hardware much better and is much more secure