Capacitor fell off graphics card, can I fix it?

Rhalgar

I was having issues where my screen would go black and my gpu fans would rev to 100% when I was gaming, so I decided I would try and clean up my graphics card to fix it. I heard some light rattling when I uninstalled it, and when I took it apart the capacitor pictured in the 3rd shot fell out. I have no experience soldering but with the gpu situation the way it is this has increased my interest in it greatly.

I am wondering if it is even possible for me to fix this, and if it is, how I should go about it.

1547674941_redcircle.jpg

1166942187_whereCapFellFrom1.jpg

243875463_cap1.jpg

Please don't try to fix it if you don't have any experience in soldering. 

You might need a new cap, wich i do not know how you gonna find the exact one you need, and rip the soldering pads off.

Visit your local service store, he will thank you.

those caps are a pita to put on.

i cant tell if the pads are still there. Could you take a pic of the bottom of the cap?

If the pads are still on, you might be able to get ti back on, if not, your probably fucked.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Probably fixable, but I'd suggest taking it to a professional. Soldering isn't as easy as it looks.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Ok, thanks for the advice.

Secondary question, I have not started the card since this happened. How important do we think this cap is, and could I try to start my system with it in?

Get it fixed.  Don't take short cuts.

Solder pad seems intact.  That's good.  Take a picture of the UNDERSIDE of the cap.  If the legs are still there, you can fix it.

TS-100 soldering iron with 65W adapter

Rosin Flux

Desoldering wick (helpful to have)

3M high temp polyimide tape (put this on the PCB around the work area).

You would first clean with isopropyl, then apply rosin flux to the solder pad area, then you would apply solder to make a small solder 'bump' on the point in each location.

Then after it hardens, you would then apply flux on top of the solder bumps, then put the cap on it so the legs line up, then melt the solder so it flows and binds the cap legs to it.  Basically do one leg at a time and you need some tool to hold the cap down.  

A phone repair shop may be able to do this for you.  Not sure if it will cost less if you supply the TS-100 and rosin flux for them or not.

Not sure where you would buy replacement caps.  Maybe mouser or digikey.

Bought the same cap with longer leads. Quick and easy. Did it on my second $1100 Titan shortly after it arrived. Dont have a pic of the fix, but just bent it over so it cleared the cooler. Worked flawlessly for 5 years before selling it.

IMG_1004.JPG

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz