Antec High current Gamer 650w power supply price to good to be true?

BrokenProgram01
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

I mean, right now your link shows $99.99 for me. Probably the really low price was a mistake. Never take Amazon pricing as the be-all-end-all for anything, really, as it's rather unregulated and very full of Joe Third-Party randos trying to scam people.

So I was browsing PcPartPicker earlier today and I stumbled across this Antec High current Gamer 650w power supply for $34.87 which is ~66% down from usual obviously this raised some flags for me as usually you don't see this steep of a discount when it comes to power supplies. but when looking that the seller page the seller doesn't have too many bad reviews and the ratings are on par with the ratio Best Buy has on Amazon. But when cross referencing this PSU with the LTT PSU Tier List I noticed that the 2018 variant of this PSU was particularly bad receiving only a C which is pretty low for an 80+ gold PSU but any of the other years following seem to be fine. So what is your opinion on this also does any one know much about amazon buyer protection about 3rd party seller?

TLDR: Antec High current Gamer 650w is ~66% off but 2018 variant is supposed to be bad but any years after that are supposed to be good what is the likely hood of this being old stock and does Amazon have any buyer protection for 3rd party sellers?

Link:

Amazon.com: Antec HCG650 Gold Power Supply 650 Watts 80 PLUS Gold PSU with Full Modular, 120mm FDB Fan, Japanese Capacitors, ATX12V 2.4, 10 Years Support: Computers & Accessories

I mean, right now your link shows $99.99 for me. Probably the really low price was a mistake. Never take Amazon pricing as the be-all-end-all for anything, really, as it's rather unregulated and very full of Joe Third-Party randos trying to scam people.

1 minute ago, Akira13645 said:

upon reloading the page the seller adjusted the shipping price to roughly the discount so it is no longer saving any money

2 minutes ago, BrokenProgram01 said:

upon reloading the page the seller adjusted the shipping price to roughly the discount so it is no longer saving any money

Yeah, that makes a bit more sense. In general, again, keep in mind that anyone can sell stuff on Amazon. In no way is it an individual entity that ever accurately represents the "real" price of anything. Really the closest you can get to a "real" market price for a given PC component at any given time is by averaging out all available listings for it as provided by PCPartPicker's real-time tracking.

2 hours ago, BrokenProgram01 said:

So I was browsing PcPartPicker earlier today and I stumbled across this Antec High current Gamer 650w power supply for $34.87 which is ~66% down from usual obviously this raised some flags for me as usually you don't see this steep of a discount when it comes to power supplies. but when looking that the seller page the seller doesn't have too many bad reviews and the ratings are on par with the ratio Best Buy has on Amazon. But when cross referencing this PSU with the LTT PSU Tier List I noticed that the 2018 variant of this PSU was particularly bad receiving only a C which is pretty low for an 80+ gold PSU but any of the other years following seem to be fine. So what is your opinion on this also does any one know much about amazon buyer protection about 3rd party seller?

TLDR: Antec High current Gamer 650w is ~66% off but 2018 variant is supposed to be bad but any years after that are supposed to be good what is the likely hood of this being old stock and does Amazon have any buyer protection for 3rd party sellers?

Link:

Amazon.com: Antec HCG650 Gold Power Supply 650 Watts 80 PLUS Gold PSU with Full Modular, 120mm FDB Fan, Japanese Capacitors, ATX12V 2.4, 10 Years Support: Computers & Accessories

That is a deviation of the line of PSU's from Antec that are actually worth anything...

The Antec line of PSU's worth anything are the RED and BLACK HCG version:

41lfdrZx2aL._AC_.jpg

The one you linked I would not know personally.

Maybe a rebranding of it which proves its post 2018.
I am using Antec HCG PSU in the picture in the two computers here.

Both PSU's have been running 24/7 since they were bought in 2011 and 2015 comparatively.

Maybe I just got two diamonds in a rough though.

Any buyer that changes the price like you have described isn't someone who I would buy from.

Also here is what amazon does to cover a third-party buy:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GQ37ZCNECJKTFYQV

ALL THIS SAID:

After looking over the PSU teir list over if you budget is about $90-$120 then I definitely have a better choice than that one.

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-MPG-Power-Supply-PSU/dp/B08PDV45F8

Current computers:

Primary Computer (In Progress):

Spoiler

SUBJECT TO CHANGE

CASE: ROSEWIL THOR V2 Black

CPU:

Motherboard:

GPU: SAPPHIRE VEGA 56 -TBU RTX 2070 SUPER

RAM: 48 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX
PSU: SEASONIC PRIME 1300 W GOLD

STORAGE: 4x SEAGATE EXOS 4TB | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

SOUND SYSTEM: Logitech Z506 Surround Sound via Vantec USB External 7.1 Channel Audio Adapter  

MOUSE: 16000DPI GAMING MOUSE

KEYBOARD: -PENDING-

MONITOR: -PENDING- AOC AGON AG241QX 24" -PENDING-

COOLING:  CPU: Noctua NH-D15 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

LAST UPDATED 4/29/20

Secondary Computer:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8370 Black Edition 

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Omega Core Edition 

RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX Savage 1600MHz DDR3
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer HCG-900W

STORAGE: 5x Western Digital Black 2TB - WD2003FZEX | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

SOUND SYSTEM: Logitech Z506 Surround Sound via Vantec USB External 7.1 Channel Audio Adapter  

MOUSE: PUREX 2400 DPI Wired Laser Gaming Mouse

KEYBOARD: DBPOWER 104 Key -3 Backlit -I KNOW! Linus doesn't approve -I have glued it to the desk and it works well for my needs.

MONITOR: ASUS VS247H-P 24 Inch 

COOLING: CPU: Noctua NH-D14 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

GRAPHICS: 2x NF12s fans on graphics card + 2x NF-F12s & 1x NA-A12x25 in Fan box | 1x Vantec SP-FC70-BL Spectrum System Fan Cards

I dont know about this one .. but the HCG i just bought its giving me lots of issues 

I replaced my PSU recently to Antec HCG 750 GOLD .. 15 seconds into BF3 game (or 30 seconds into League of legend) , pc freezes .. black screen .. sounds is on a infinite loop of the last  0.5 second before it freeze

So I exchanged it for another Antec HCG 750 ... now it does the same thing .. but after 10 to 15 minutes of gaming ... what are the chances of 2 new defective PSU? ... i emailed Antec to see if this PSU was pre 2018 and they told me it was build late 2020

other than gaming .. the computer runs fine while browing or youtube and etc .. only happens during gaming

Im gonna have to send this one back as well and see if the 3rd one is a good one or not .. sigh

Mobo: Asus Z97-A
Cpu : i7 4790k stock with NH-D15s
Gpu : Asus Strix gtx 970
Ram : G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x8GB) DDR3 2133MHz (xmp)
Sound card : Creative sound blaster Z
SSD : intel 520 120GB (C) , WD Barracuda 1TB (D)
Psu: Antec HCG 750 GOLD (Seasonic X-760 gold 80 modular <--- old PSU)
Case : Lianli lancool II Perfomance
Key-Mouse : Corsair.K70 - Razer Deathadder V2
Monitor : Dell S2721DFG 2K 165HZ ips