Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommendations for an ultra-wide, 1440p monitor with high refresh rate (120 Hz+)

Go to solution Solved by gal-m,
15 minutes ago, mt123 said:

Do you have any other recommendations, by any chance? Just want to broaden my options.

@mt123 I can't make sound recommendations because I don't have a lot of hands-on experience with other 34" monitors, though I've seen quite a few and none have impressed me quite as much as the above mentioned 34" LG model. They have competition from the likes of DELL, Acer, etc., but LG's solution seemed the best to me in reference to the refresh rate, brightness, gaming capability and image quality (the IPS display is really nice). Be advised: it's been on the market for quite a long time now and might get refreshed soon.

Also, may I ask what you’re using for a monitor, if any?

I am currently using the LG UltraGear 27GN850-B, 27", which is essentially VERY similar to the 34" panel on the 34GN850, just "chopped off". I managed to get it for ~ $350 and at that price it just can't be beat. I should mention it has just been refreshed about a month ago and is now called the 27GP850-B - pretty much the same, but even a bit better in most categories than the old one 🙂. I also have quite a lot fo hands-on with the above mentioned 34" model and both are great. I found LG displays to be a bit better and more accurate than Acer's Predator series (another popular option at the ~ $900 for a 34" variant and ~ $400 for the 27" variant).

Hello there,

I’m in the market for an ultra-wide 1440p monitor for my college dorm. I’m an Engineering student, so I have a powerful laptop (Dell XPS 17) that can handle a 1440p monitor, and I’d like to purchase an ultra wide so I can have multiple applications open when I work, and to have a premium gaming experience when I have some free time. I’d say my budget for a monitor is somewhere in the $650-$800 range, though don’t be afraid to show anything above the price range if nothing in this price range fits my wants/ desires. 

I also plan to get an eGPU so that I can play AAA games like Resident Evil 8 and Doom Eternal with Ray-Tracing settings at over 60 FPS at 1440p, or at 1080p high and over 100 FPS. Considering this, I’d also like a monitor with a pixel response time lower than 3 ms, though preferably around the 1 ms range. 

So far I’ve seen a couple monitors from LG that might suit my wants, though they don’t seem to be too bright, and honestly I’d like a monitor that outputs at least 400 nits of brightness, though preferably over 500 considering the display on my XPS 17 already outputs 500 nits. 

Back to color accuracy, I won’t be doing an professional editing, but knowing that I’ll be utilizing some Engineering softwares, I’ll want a display that’s decently color accurate. However, I would also like the monitor to have good contrast and black uniformity so I can, again, have a good viewing experience. 

If you folks here at LTT forums can help me out with this, it would be greatly appreciated! 😊

LG UltraGear 34GN850-B, 34"

One of the best at the $800 - $900 range @mt123 🙂 

2 minutes ago, gal-m said:

LG UltraGear 34GN850-B, 34"

One of the best at the $800 - $900 range @mt123 🙂 

Sick! I’ll definitely consider this option. Do you have any other recommendations, by any chance? Just want to broaden my options. 

Do you have any other recommendations, by any chance? Just want to broaden my options.

@mt123 I can't make sound recommendations because I don't have a lot of hands-on experience with other 34" monitors, though I've seen quite a few and none have impressed me quite as much as the above mentioned 34" LG model. They have competition from the likes of DELL, Acer, etc., but LG's solution seemed the best to me in reference to the refresh rate, brightness, gaming capability and image quality (the IPS display is really nice). Be advised: it's been on the market for quite a long time now and might get refreshed soon.

I am currently using the LG UltraGear 27GN850-B, 27", which is essentially VERY similar to the 34" panel on the 34GN850, just "chopped off". I managed to get it for ~ $350 and at that price it just can't be beat. I should mention it has just been refreshed about a month ago and is now called the 27GP850-B - pretty much the same, but even a bit better in most categories than the old one 🙂. I also have quite a lot fo hands-on with the above mentioned 34" model and both are great. I found LG displays to be a bit better and more accurate than Acer's Predator series (another popular option at the ~ $900 for a 34" variant and ~ $400 for the 27" variant).

26 minutes ago, gal-m said:

Sick, well I’ll definitely look out for a refreshed version of the 34 inch model, though I may even consider the 27 inch because I’m not sure how much room I’ll have in my dorm (haven’t moved in yet), and an ultra wide would really only serve a purpose of luxury over practicality

9 minutes ago, mt123 said:

I may even consider the 27 inch because I’m not sure how much room I’ll have in my dorm

True @mt123, the 34" is quite a large monitor and the stand usually takes up a lot of desk space - monitor arm recommended - something like the Ergotron LX.

LG also has a 32" version of the GP850 called the LG UltraGear 32GP850-B - check that one out as well (reviews of the 32" model coming out soon, though 32" might be a bit to big for 1440p 😞).

Some reviews of the new (GP) 27" for reference:

They are very positive as you can see 🙂

Good luck!

So in summary @mt123 I recommended the following LG monitors:

• The old tried and tested 27" 1440p LG UltraGear 27GN850-B (~ $400) - maybe try to get it at a discounted price..
  • The new and better 27" 1440p LG UltraGear 27GP850-B (~ $500)
  • The "old soon to (probably be) refreshed" 34" 1440p ultrawide LG UltraGear 34GN850-B (~ $900)
  • And the yet to be reviewed probably pretty cool 32" 1440p LG UltraGear 32GP850-B (~ $600)

I know they are all LG, I'm not a fanboy - couldn't care less about a monitor manufacturer, but LG's offering at these price points have seriously been the go-to option in my opinion 🙂 (for your specific needs and use case). 

I have a LG 34GP83A-B, from what i understand it's the same thing as the 34GN850-B just like less ports on the back for $799msrp

It works great, my only issue is when the monitor goes to sleep displayport disconnects and every time it wakes up it pretends like im plugging the monitor in, gives the new device windows jingle and gsync pops up in notifications.

Im extremely picky with monitors too, i returned one of those alienware ultrawides i bought for $1500 because it had too much blb and half-screen was slightly warmer.

System Specs: AMD 5950x PBO-AutoNoctua DH-15 Black | Gigabyte x570 MasterEVGA 3080FTW3 Ultra | (2x16gb) G.Skill Royal 3600mhz CL18 | Corsair 5000D Airflow (Black) Samsung 980 Pro 2TB & Firecuda 520 1TB & Crucial MX500 2tb850W Corsair RMX | 2 Noctua A14 CPU, 6 Noctua A12x25 Intake, 3x Noctua F12 Top Exhaust, 1x Noctua A12x25 Back Exhaust

Monitors: (Main) LG Ultragear 34" 2k Ultrawide 144hz IPS '34GP83A-B' (Side) Acer Predator 27" 2k 144hz TN 'Abmiprz'

Peripherals: Corsair K100 Optical | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Corsair Virtuoso SE | Audioengine A2+

The 34GN850-B would be my go-to option atm if i would be in the market for an ultrawide. But beware, there is a newer version called 34GP950-G, which will feature "G-Sync Ultimate Support" and much better HDR. No idea about Pricing and how good it actually is. Release is planned for "Summer 2021", but no firm date.

Dislaimer: If my post is older than 5 minutes, refresh the page. Most of my posts get edited straight away. 😄

PSU Tier List          AMD Motherboard Tier List          SSD Tier List

Current Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B550-E - GPU: PNY RTX 3080 XLR8 Epic-X - RAM: 4x8GB (32GB) G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz CL16 - PSU: Corsair RMx (2018) 850W - Storage: 500 GB Corsair MP600 (Boot) + 2 TB Sabrent Rocket Q (Storage) - Cooling: EK, HW Labs & Alphacool custom loop - Case: Lian-Li PC O11 Dynamic - Fans: 6x Noctua NF-A12x25 - AMP/DAC: FiiO K5 Pro - OS: Windows 10 Pro - Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG35VQ - Mouse: Logitech G Pro + Powerplay - Keyboard: Logitech G915 - Headphones: Beyerdynamic Amiron Home - Microphone: Antlion ModMic

Temperatures @steady state: Furmark + CinebenchR23 running for 1 hour. Fans @850RPM. Pump @1600RPM.

Water: 37°C

CPU: 73°C

GPU: 54°C

@gal-m @Daethz @Stahlmann

All good, all good. Again, like to see that I can probably just settle on these LG monitors. However, I'm having trouble finding some of these laptops online. I'm not sure what region you folks live in, but I'm in the US, and if y'all can help me find the links to these monitors, that would be awesome.

2 hours ago, mt123 said:

@gal-m @Daethz @Stahlmann

All good, all good. Again, like to see that I can probably just settle on these LG monitors. However, I'm having trouble finding some of these laptops online. I'm not sure what region you folks live in, but I'm in the US, and if y'all can help me find the links to these monitors, that would be awesome.

LG 34GN850-B 34" 21:9 Curved UltraGear QHD Gaming Monitor with NVIDIA G-Sync 34GN850-B (adorama.com)

LG UltraGear 34" IPS LED UltraWide HD FreeSync and G-SYNC Compatible Monitor with HDR (DisplayPort, HDMI) Black 34GN850-B.AUS - Best Buy

Sadly out of stock...

Dislaimer: If my post is older than 5 minutes, refresh the page. Most of my posts get edited straight away. 😄

PSU Tier List          AMD Motherboard Tier List          SSD Tier List

Current Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B550-E - GPU: PNY RTX 3080 XLR8 Epic-X - RAM: 4x8GB (32GB) G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz CL16 - PSU: Corsair RMx (2018) 850W - Storage: 500 GB Corsair MP600 (Boot) + 2 TB Sabrent Rocket Q (Storage) - Cooling: EK, HW Labs & Alphacool custom loop - Case: Lian-Li PC O11 Dynamic - Fans: 6x Noctua NF-A12x25 - AMP/DAC: FiiO K5 Pro - OS: Windows 10 Pro - Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG35VQ - Mouse: Logitech G Pro + Powerplay - Keyboard: Logitech G915 - Headphones: Beyerdynamic Amiron Home - Microphone: Antlion ModMic

Temperatures @steady state: Furmark + CinebenchR23 running for 1 hour. Fans @850RPM. Pump @1600RPM.

Water: 37°C

CPU: 73°C

GPU: 54°C