Win10 or Win7 for 11 years old i5 laptop?

lafrente

Would Win10 hog too much resources? Or maybe will it be faster than Win 7? It has 4gb ram and it'll be an HDD, not SSD.

Just now, jaslion said:

7 isnt supported anymore and an a security risk now.

A ssd costs next to nothing anymore. So maybe just get one.

What i5?

i5-430

Security doesn't matter since there won't be anything important on it. Just old stuff that is already backed up elsewhere.

I won't put in an SSD in it, I'd rather use every SSD I have for modern PCs that I use more frequently.

if it for internet usage only, I suggest go Linux.
Don't go Windows 10 if you're on HDD.

A used 120GB SSD only cost like $20-30, even less for 80GB.
It will give you much faster and responsive system, definitely worth the extra money.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 hour ago, lafrente said:

i5-430

Security doesn't matter since there won't be anything important on it. Just old stuff that is already backed up elsewhere.

I won't put in an SSD in it, I'd rather use every SSD I have for modern PCs that I use more frequently.

A 120gb drive new is 20-25$. Will give a lot of life to the system.

If all it has to do is basic stuff put ubuntu on it.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

A 120gb drive new is 20-25$. Will give a lot of life to the system.

If all it has to do is basic stuff put ubuntu on it.

Neither of your comments answer my question.

3 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

if it for internet usage only, I suggest go Linux.
Don't go Windows 10 if you're on HDD.

A used 120GB SSD only cost like $20-30, even less for 80GB.
It will give you much faster and responsive system, definitely worth the extra money.

Yeah it is definitely going to be an HDD for specific reasons.

What is the deal with no win10 if hdd? Does win 7 work faster than win 10 on HDD?

8 minutes ago, lafrente said:

Yeah it is definitely going to be an HDD for specific reasons.

What is the deal with no win10 if hdd? Does win 7 work faster than win 10 on HDD?

Windows 10 is awfully slow on a hdd basically unusable when only having 4gb of ram.

Hence the suggestion to go to ubuntu so you don't have a open security risk in your network.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Windows 10 is awfully slow on a hdd basically unusable when only having 4gb of ram.

Hence the suggestion to go to ubuntu so you don't have a open security risk in your network.

Never used ubuntu or linux and doubt I ever will. There'll be nothing important in it. Want to get to a "workable" state so that it runs when and if I start it later. 

Win 7 is pretty slow on an HDD as well. So I am wondering if installing Win 10 would have any extra disadvantages. 

21 minutes ago, lafrente said:

Never used ubuntu or linux and doubt I ever will. There'll be nothing important in it. Want to get to a "workable" state so that it runs when and if I start it later. 

Win 7 is pretty slow on an HDD as well. So I am wondering if installing Win 10 would have any extra disadvantages. 

Imagine 7 but like multiple times worse.

Windows 10 runs great on a Core 2 Duo with 2GB of RAM. Windows 10 is the way to go.

My personal PC is a Core i7 930 Quad Core and has 6GB of RAM. Runs perfectly fine. You're CPU is massively faster than what I have. 🙂

just make sure the system has an SSD

-- Thread Move to Windows --

Anecdote:

I recently installed W7 on a older W10 laptop that was getting bogged down all the time with the W10 background processes and constant updates.

After the W7 install , all was well.

if i were going to run W10 i'd get W10 LTSC, otherwise W7.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

1 hour ago, SolarNova said:

Anecdote:

I recently installed W7 on a older W10 laptop that was getting bogged down all the time with the W10 background processes and constant updates.

After the W7 install , all was well.

if i were going to run W10 i'd get W10 LTSC, otherwise W7.

That's not right. Sounds like a missing driver. SATA controller? Chipset? That needs to be investigated