Can long LAN cable cause input lag while gaming?

yuqisong

I've ordered 40 meters ethernet cable online 'cause our router is in the living room and I need to play at my room. Is 40m cable too long? would I experience some network issue while gaming like higher ping or pocket loss?

No, the limit is 100m, below that there is no difference that's noticeable.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Answer 1: Yes, the longer a cable is the longer the signal has to travel and this will in fact increase your latency.

Answer 2: Absolutely not, an electromagnetic signal through a medium travels between 50-99% of the speed of light (In a vacuum).  It's calculated to be about 65% in CAT5E.  So that 300 000 000 meters per second will be closer to 195 000 meters per second.  So your 1 meter cable will have a signal latency of about 0.005128 milliseconds.  If we increase that to 10 meters, now your latency is increased to half a 0.05128 milliseconds.  We've added a whopping 0.0461 milliseconds of network latency.  ...This is vastly beyond any realm of perception that the mass of thinking meat you call a 'brain' within your skull could ever appreciate.

(I def did some rounding here so don't kill me)

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

If you experience anything weird, go in your network card's settings in Device Manager and disable power saving features, green ethernet, low power modes etc

For example, in the picture below, you could set to disabled Energy Efficient Ethernet and Green Ethernet - it will only make your ethernet card consume a bit more power, like maybe half a watt more or something like that.

Why would you do that?

Basically, the maximum length of a cable is 100 meters. You'd need quite a bit of power to push data up to 100 meters so the cards are smart enough to figure out the length of the cable and reduce transmission power if there's no need to push the data at very high power levels to the other end.

However, cards assume the network cable is made of pure copper wires, with a known wire resistance ... some of the cheaper cables out there are of the CCA variety, which means Copper Clad Aluminum (or you could say Copper Covered Aluminum) - the wires have a core of aluminum and they're plated with a very thin layer of copper.

Such cables have a slightly higher resistance, so the signal can be weakened over longer distances - if a network card transmits using too low power, it could happen for some data packets to have errors at the other end, and then they'll have to be resent so you could get hiccups or jitters (sudden and rare ping increases in games)

CCA cables are perfectly fine for patch cables, up to let's say 10-15 meters, but should be avoided for longer lengths like 30-40 meters as you intend to buy.

If your cable is regular full copper cable then you won't have anything to worry about.

image.png.26df451769461a693ddd07e21d5aa685.png