Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W - Two units, different connection layouts

A few weeks ago I bought a 850W Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 on Amazon, which worked okay until a few days ago when it started to make a weird buzzing noise. I contacted Amazon and they sent me a replacement PSU (also a Toughpower GF1 850W) but to my surprise, when I took it out of the box it had a different connection layout, but it came with the same cables and manual. The replacement PSU only seems to have one EPS/CPU port instead of two and it comes with three PCI-E ports, unlike the first PSU I got which has 5 shared CPU/EPS + PCI-E ports, which is how they advertise it. Apparently even though they're both the same product name, the model numbers are different. The replacement PSU's model number is TTP-850AH3FSG-V and the defective one is TTP-850AH3FCG.

With the defective PSU, I used to plug in a 4 pin and an 8 pin EPS/CPU cable to the motherboard ports (for overclocking) as well as the 24 pin ATX connector, so my question is, can I plug in one of the 4+4 EPS/CPU cables in one of the 6+2 PCI-E ports in the replacement PSU, in order to power that motherboard connector? Or do I need to ask Amazon to send me a second replacement, this time with the correct layout? I'm attaching a photo of both PSUs, the top one is the replacement unit, the one in the bottom is the defective PSU.

Thanks!

IMG_4208.jpg

Interesting bait and switch there.

Can you take a picture of the side labels of the PSUs so we can see the full model number, country of origin, lot code, etc?

Both are DEFINITELY "GF1"?  One isn't "GF2"?

Also, how do you know the bottom one is defective?  Some buzzing is normal sometimes as long as it's not too loud.

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

Interesting bait and switch there.

Can you take a picture of the side labels of the PSUs so we can see the full model number, country of origin, lot code, etc?

Both are DEFINITELY "GF1"?  One isn't "GF2"?

Also, how do you know the bottom one is defective?  Some buzzing is normal sometimes as long as it's not too loud.

Hi! Sure, here's both of them, both are definitely GF1. First one is the replacement unit, the one plugged into the computer is the one with issues. It's functional, but it makes a very loud noise even when it's off. I even tried to plug in the PC into a different power outlet and the noise is still there. It's not a coil whine as I have other devices that suffer from that, it's definitely an electrical thing.

In regards to the connectors, I plugged a CPU 4+4 cable into the PCIE 6+2 slot in the replacement PSU and it fits. That should be enough, right? As long as I use a CPU cable and not a PCIE cable, the PSU should draw the power required by the motherboard without any issues if it's plugged into a 6+2 PCIE slot, or not?

IMG_4221.jpg

IMG_4224.jpg

You do realize that the model numbers in your OP don't appear on the label of either of these PSUs, right?  They both say "TPD-0850FNFAGU-1

I'm guessing the bottom line of information in the second one is cut off by the opening in the case?  Because there's no country of origin.  The top one says "made in Vietnam", which means it's made by CWT.  Don't know what's up with the second one.

But yeah... the cable pinout should be the same across both.  Just don't know why they're laid out differently and don't know if they're actually different internally or not.  It's not unlike a lot of companies to "cost down the f-word" a PSU when their margins are threatened by material costs or shortages, labor costs, tariffs, etc.

33 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

You do realize that the model numbers in your OP don't appear on the label of either of these PSUs, right?  They both say "TPD-0850FNFAGU-1

I'm guessing the bottom line of information in the second one is cut off by the opening in the case?  Because there's no country of origin.  The top one says "made in Vietnam", which means it's made by CWT.  Don't know what's up with the second one.

But yeah... the cable pinout should be the same across both.  Just don't know why they're laid out differently and don't know if they're actually different internally or not.  It's not unlike a lot of companies to "cost down the f-word" a PSU when their margins are threatened by material costs or shortages, labor costs, tariffs, etc.

The second one is made in China.
So you’re saying that the PCIE slots in the replacement PSU are also CPU slots, like the “defected” PSU, right? And they’ll draw the 12V to the motherboard if used with a CPU cable?

31 minutes ago, nicolasdeppe said:

The second one is made in China.
So you’re saying that the PCIE slots in the replacement PSU are also CPU slots, like the “defected” PSU, right? And they’ll draw the 12V to the motherboard if used with a CPU cable?

Yes.  If the connectors are the same, they're going to provide the same power pin for pin.

The one in the second photo (don't know if that's your first or second unit... just going to say second photo) is much older than the Vietnam one in the first photo.

Honestly, this is very much in character for Thermaltake, thanks for heads-up.  Huh, perhaps the new one is made by Jiuzhou, kinda like a downgraded PF1 ? Can you take some photos of internals of the new one through exhaust and fan grilles ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

25 minutes ago, Juular said:

Honestly, this is very much in character for Thermaltake, thanks for heads-up.  Huh, perhaps the new one is made by Jiuzhou, kinda like a downgraded PF1 ? Can you take some photos of internals of the new one through exhaust and fan grilles ?

HKC also has a factory in Vietnam? As Jonny said, the new GF1 is made in Vietnam, so it looks like it's made by CWT.

But I also doubt why they changed the modular configuration.

5 hours ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

HKC also has a factory in Vietnam? As Jonny said, the new GF1 is made in Vietnam, so it looks like it's made by CWT.

But I also doubt why they changed the modular configuration.

High power . not HKC. look model number of VN version almost same GF2

High power don't have factory in VN but they are cooperate with one VN factory for outsource product ( trade war)

this factory pretty small . 

4 hours ago, f14 said:

High power . not HKC

Are you sure about this? It looks nothing like a Sirfa design.

Edit: Nevermind, seems I can't read. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

4 hours ago, f14 said:

High power

Yeah, or that. Welcome to the forum by the way.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

2 hours ago, Elisis said:

Are you sure about this? It looks nothing like a Sirfa design.

Pretty sure 
look at model number
GF1 made in China : TTP-850AH3FCG (CWT)
GF1 made in Viet Nam :TTP-850AH3FSG-V
GF2 made in China : TTP-850AH3FSG-A (with rv we know it is from Highpower)
And I have know this factory work with Highpower
CWT have some big factory in Viet Nam too but I don't think it still make GF1 "Made in Viet Nam" version 😄

52 minutes ago, Sakee__ said:

@f14, are you the owner of F14Lab?

yeah . It's me 🙂

4 minutes ago, f14 said:

Yeah, I thought you were referring to PF1. My bad

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

40 minutes ago, f14 said:

Pretty sure 
look at model number
GF1 made in China : TTP-850AH3FCG (CWT)
GF1 made in Viet Nam :TTP-850AH3FSG-V
And I have know this factory work with Highpower
CWT have some big factory in Viet Nam too but I don't think it still make GF1 "Made in Viet Nam" version 😄

Good lord. What a mess.  Worse than EVGA because, not only are they launching random products, but they're using the same model names for all of them!