Extending wifi signal

Sumk
Go to solution Solved by Falcon1986,
6 hours ago, Sumk said:

Router was mounted into drawer because that way it does not take waluable space on desk and powercord alows it to go only in these two spots.

Well, you're seriously limiting the wireless range by doing it this way. And even if you use any form of WiFi extender, the extender itself will need a decent-enough signal to repeat.

6 hours ago, Sumk said:

but my question is if there is an app/software that could let me use my android/w10/iphone device as an extender with the same SSID, password, and all as my wifi.

No. Whether it's a dedicated extender or a phone app, it will create its own network so as not to interfere with the original network.

Can't the washing machine be reset to use a new network SSID as if you were setting it up for the first time?

The alternative to all of this is to wire in a dedicated AP to the primary router and position it in the vicinity of the washing machine.

The reason for asking the other questions is that these are simpler issues that can be fixed if they are issues to begin with. Some smart devices can only connect to WPA-protected WiFi, not WPA2; in which case you'd need to configure your WiFi settings in WPA/WPA2-compatibility mode.

As for getting a proper WiFi survey, a graphical analysis will determine if there is interference from other WiFi networks in your area. You're in 2.4GHz after all, which makes it highly possible.

Background. 

I am trying to connect smart washing mashine (in bathroom) to my router (in bedroom). It was connectet before, but some reasones made me disconnect it.

What is wrong. 
When i try connect my washing mashine it goes throug whole procedure and when i give it SSID and password it’s doesn’t conect and run out of time. There is pretty weak signal and since first time it was connected some closets were add.

Question

I need some solution really temporarly (maybe just few minutes) to extend my wifi signal so i can conect my washing mashine to it, but after i turn of the extending device i want my washing mashine to search for my wifi not for the extending device. 

Devices i have at home

Modem+router

2xnotebook

android phone

iphone

Found this

On lttforum i found this “

but i’m not shure if i use this if my washing mashine wouldn’t search for the android network instead of my wifi after i would turn off the phone network. 

If there is a way to factory reset your washing machine, I would start there

Sorry I probably edited my post. Refresh plz. Build Specs Below.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
    32 GB (2X8) Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CAS 16
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
    Sabrent 1 TB TLC PCI 4.0 NVMe M.2
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
    MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34" UWQHD
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT 240mm
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

29 minutes ago, Sumk said:

smart washing mashine

Make/model?

30 minutes ago, Sumk said:

Modem+router

Make(s)/model(s)? Wireless settings?

3 hours ago, Sumk said:

I am trying to connect smart washing mashine (in bathroom) to my router (in bedroom). It was connectet before, but some reasones made me disconnect it.

How far apart are the washing machine and router? Any walls/floors in between?

If the washing machine was connected before and working well, I don’t think the problem is with wireless range. Most IoT appliances work on 2.4GHz because it offers good range and they don’t need lots of bandwidth. However, they’re just as susceptible to wireless interference as other devices and they tend to lag behind WiFi generations/features.

Run a wireless survey using a laptop or an Android phone near to the washing machine. WiFi Analyzer for Windows and WiFiAnalyzer for Android are available for free on their respective app stores. Post the channel analysis for the 2.4GHz frequency.

Also, please post the wireless settings (exclude passwords!) that the Zyxel gateway uses. Important things to focus on are the wireless channel, SSID visibility, channel width, and type of security/encryption.

On 6/11/2021 at 6:44 PM, Falcon1986 said:

How far apart are the washing machine and router? Any walls/floors in between?

If the washing machine was connected before and working well, I don’t think the problem is with wireless range. Most IoT appliances work on 2.4GHz because it offers good range and they don’t need lots of bandwidth. However, they’re just as susceptible to wireless interference as other devices and they tend to lag behind WiFi generations/features.

Run a wireless survey using a laptop or an Android phone near to the washing machine. WiFi Analyzer for Windows and WiFiAnalyzer for Android are available for free on their respective app stores. Post the channel analysis for the 2.4GHz frequency.

Also, please post the wireless settings (exclude passwords!) that the Zyxel gateway uses. Important things to focus on are the wireless channel, SSID visibility, channel width, and type of security/encryption.

Yes there are walls between router and washing mashine, and as i said before it was connected but since then some closets were added and router was mounted in drawer of my office desk. 

here are settings of my router and also screenshots of wifiinfo taken next to my washing mashine. 

8B4DDD1D-F874-41BB-868A-91E112E8A610.jpeg

4095BCC7-4906-42D0-8369-18C0EA820FDD.jpeg

92CD2AAC-62E0-4199-BE35-1C9EE5EBE0FA.jpeg

F7220586-41A2-47DB-92E7-FE6B8774F4BD.jpeg

7 hours ago, Sumk said:

router was mounted in drawer of my office desk. 

Why? It needs to be out in the open, preferably high enough without antenna obstruction.

I see you're using WPA2 from the wireless router. Does the washing machine support the same security type?

Also, use WiFi Analyzer for the survey. 

1 hour ago, Falcon1986 said:

Why? It needs to be out in the open, preferably high enough without antenna obstruction.

I see you're using WPA2 from the wireless router. Does the washing machine support the same security type?

Also, use WiFi Analyzer for the survey. 

Router was mounted into drawer because that way it does not take waluable space on desk and powercord alows it to go only in these two spots. 

don’t won’t to be rude, really appreciate all this feedback, but my question is if there is an app/software that could let me use my android/w10/iphone device as an extender with the same SSID, password, and all as my wifi. Kinda like a bought repeater at at least that is how i think how repeaters are supposed to work. 

6 hours ago, Sumk said:

Well, you're seriously limiting the wireless range by doing it this way. And even if you use any form of WiFi extender, the extender itself will need a decent-enough signal to repeat.

6 hours ago, Sumk said:

but my question is if there is an app/software that could let me use my android/w10/iphone device as an extender with the same SSID, password, and all as my wifi.

No. Whether it's a dedicated extender or a phone app, it will create its own network so as not to interfere with the original network.

Can't the washing machine be reset to use a new network SSID as if you were setting it up for the first time?

The alternative to all of this is to wire in a dedicated AP to the primary router and position it in the vicinity of the washing machine.

The reason for asking the other questions is that these are simpler issues that can be fixed if they are issues to begin with. Some smart devices can only connect to WPA-protected WiFi, not WPA2; in which case you'd need to configure your WiFi settings in WPA/WPA2-compatibility mode.

As for getting a proper WiFi survey, a graphical analysis will determine if there is interference from other WiFi networks in your area. You're in 2.4GHz after all, which makes it highly possible.

29 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

Thanks for advice. I know i’m hurting my routers range but even afterputing it on the floor in door wich is place with lowest interference for signal to bathroom it didn’t help and obviously that is not a spot where you want to leave it. And in the drawer it still is able to fill my whole flat with decent signal. 

Washing mashine delete it’s settings every time you start pairing mode. Reasone i wanted to have the same SSID was to just boost signal so i can then turn it off. From what i know, usually you can stay connected to wifi in places where you can’t connect. 

Last thing then how does those seemless connecting to different extenders or repeaters for example in big warehouses work if it allways make a new network. 

5 hours ago, Sumk said:

Last thing then how does those seemless connecting to different extenders or repeaters for example in big warehouses work if it allways make a new network. 

That's because they're not using wireless extenders/repeaters in the first place. If you're serious about ensuring maximal wireless coverage with highest reliability and speed, dedicated access points are needed.

In that example, multiple APs are distributed to cover certain areas with a direct ethernet uplink to a central switch or router. The APs can have the same SSID but the broadcasts are on different non-overlapping channels. This allows wireless clients to transition through the different coverage areas without [ideally] losing connection.

1 hour ago, Falcon1986 said:

That's because they're not using wireless extenders/repeaters in the first place. If you're serious about ensuring maximal wireless coverage with highest reliability and speed, dedicated access points are needed.

In that example, multiple APs are distributed to cover certain areas with a direct ethernet uplink to a central switch or router. The APs can have the same SSID but the broadcasts are on different non-overlapping channels. This allows wireless clients to transition through the different coverage areas without [ideally] losing connection.

Ok. So thank you for all support. It was all very helpfull.