Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ubuntu 20.10 Wifi authentication required infinite loop problem

Hi,

I am completely new to Linux. I recently got an old 2011 macbook pro to try Linux with. I decided to dual boot OSx high sierra and Ubuntu 20.10.

After i have installed the version, I could not connect to the internet. It allows me to select and insert my wifi password, but after a short processing time, it returns me an 'authentication required' pop up where I need to fill in my password again. 

I have tried to reboot my device, reinstall linux and reinstall two different wifi drivers without success. The wifi works fine when I run OSx so I don't think it is the wifi chip in the laptop.

As I mentioned previously, I am a newbie at linux and all my online troubleshooting searches in google yielded for me not understandable jargon. 

I am eager to learn and would appreciate any attempt or suggestion the community could give. 

I just ask that the solutions you may devise to be simple enough that with a couple minutes spent searching on the internet, I can decipher what jargon you may throw at me;)

 

Thanks for your time

Link to post
Share on other sites

Could you try another distro like xubuntu? 

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Could you try another distro like xubuntu? 

Well I was told that plain Ubuntu would be a great introduction to Linux, so I chose that. Are there other distributions you recommend? My computer is very old has 16 gb ddr3 of ram and a new ssd and I would like to have the most fluid experience.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, KingofChips said:

Well I was told that plain Ubuntu would be a great introduction to Linux, so I chose that. Are there other distributions you recommend? My computer is very old has 16 gb ddr3 of ram and a new ssd and I would like to have the most fluid experience.

Xubuntu. It's very similar to Ubuntu TBH.

But you might need to install Compton, I'm not sure if xubuntu 21.04 uses xfce, but it sucks, the stock composter gave me diagnoal tearing.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2021 at 7:17 PM, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Could you try another distro like xubuntu? 

There's literally no difference in the network stack between Ubuntu and Xubuntu since they both use NetworkManager. So unless it's a bug with gnome 3.38 I doubt XFCE will do any better.

 

OP could try a different network management tool other than NetworkManager like ConnMan, or IWD but I have no idea how difficult that would be to setup on Ubuntu since that distro doesn't enjoy being hacked on like most debian bases.

That said it could very well be a driver issue. But as I've never used a Mac before I have no experience in installing linux on them.

 

OP if you want to learn linux, I would personally use a yard sale PC or a virtual machine than try to use a macbook. I get the appeal behind them, but Apple just makes it a PItA to boot anything not called MacOS 10 on them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have any possibility to get a usb-to-Ethernet dongle? You can connect to the Internet in this way once, give this system a full upgrade, which may just fix your problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: Thanks for the responses, I have not been able to resolve the issues.

What I have tried:

(Note: All I am doing is trial and error since I don't have any previous knowledge about this topic.)

After extensive search I learned that macbooks generally have many driver issues especially with the wifi card. 

To be precise, I have a Broadcom BCM4331 Chip and according to this help page  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx

there are a couple of driver reinstallations I could try which unfortunately did not resolve my issue.

I also tried various distributions of linux. I did Ubuntu 20.04, 21.04; latest version of elementary Os, Linux mint Xfce, Pop-os, Xubuntu and Manjaro.

Nothing to my avail but I think this information could help narrow down the problem. Because all distributions were able at least to scan and find my network, but connecting was the issue. I also want to mention that one week prior I replaced my hard drive with a new ssd. When the hardrive was inserted I could use the wifi with no issues, but now with the ssd they are present.( Not sure if its just a correlation)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 10leej said:

There's literally no difference in the network stack between Ubuntu and Xubuntu since they both use NetworkManager. So unless it's a bug with gnome 3.38 I doubt XFCE will do any better.

 

OP could try a different network management tool other than NetworkManager like ConnMan, or IWD but I have no idea how difficult that would be to setup on Ubuntu since that distro doesn't enjoy being hacked on like most debian bases.

That said it could very well be a driver issue. But as I've never used a Mac before I have no experience in installing linux on them.

 

OP if you want to learn linux, I would personally use a yard sale PC or a virtual machine than try to use a macbook. I get the appeal behind them, but Apple just makes it a PItA to boot anything not called MacOS 10 on them.

Thanks for the info, yea unfortunately i did not do my research before purchasing it. 😞 I hope I can somehow fix it, if not I need to get a different compact windows machine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alexeygridnev1993 said:

Do you have any possibility to get a usb-to-Ethernet dongle? You can connect to the Internet in this way once, give this system a full upgrade, which may just fix your problem.

Yes, Luckily the Macbook itself still has an ethernet connection, so that I was able to update the machine but still to no avail 😕

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2021 at 3:44 PM, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Xubuntu. It's very similar to Ubuntu TBH.

But you might need to install Compton, I'm not sure if xubuntu 21.04 uses xfce, but it sucks, the stock composter gave me diagnoal tearing.

Can you explain what compton is and how did that help you?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, KingofChips said:

Yes, Luckily the Macbook itself still has an ethernet connection, so that I was able to update the machine but still to no avail 😕

I see. After some googling, multiple instructions exist to fix this problem (it's a driver issue), and I obviously cannot test which one would work, but try the easiest one first, outlined here:

https://www.amirootyet.com/post/how-to-get-wifi-to-work-after/

 

Basically, it tells you to try to install the drivers for that Wifi chip you have from the repositories first (using apt), and, if that fails, find a driver and install it manually. The instruction seems straightforward to me but do let me know if you have any problems.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×