Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Windows 10 consumer editions to reach End of Life in 2025

Windows 11 could be just 10 with some tweaks or just a case of rebranding (e.g. just call it Windows and have numbers after that for big updates like MacOS). It could (hopefully) be a completely redesigned OS as well.

Whatever it is, let's just hope it's less of a resource hog and less buggy than win 10.

Win 10 started out as a slim and generally nice OS but has become cluttered and disorganized at this point, consuming a lot more resources than it used to.

2 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

will they give it a name instead?

Hard to say. I wouldn't be surprised if they start changing version numbers as often Apple does. 

Im more curious what changes they plan on making with the new Windows. Like I said I think it will just be UI changes. But I wonder if they will also copy Apple in the regard. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

6 minutes ago, George. said:

Whatever it is, let's just hope it's less of a resource hog and less buggy than win 10.

Depends if the OS is even in a stable state. They could just announce it and go the "please test our OS we're still working on it!" route. And if the same dev team that worked on 10 is in charge of "11", then it probably will be as buggy.

2 hours ago, Murasaki said:

Depends if the OS is even in a stable state. They could just announce it and go the "please test our OS we're still working on it!" route. And if the same dev team that worked on 10 is in charge of "11", then it probably will be as buggy.

oh yeah, if it's a new OS, I wouldn't expect it to be out in stable ver until maybe mid-late 2022.

2 hours ago, RejZoR said:

And how is Windows usage since then? Coz that's kinda relevant info as Windows isn't just stagnating and Linux is eating into its market share. Reason why more users use Linux is because it's less shit than it was. But in all honesty, fiddling with it since Knoppix and Slax day and it's still pretty bad even today. A lot better, but it's still terrible OS to work with. It's only good if you experience absolutely zero issues with anything. As soon as you do it's nightmarish combing through console commands and fiddling with kernels and shit. Do not want ever again.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I think that you are wrong. Linux is not for the faint of heart. It is not meant to run everything. It is meant to provide a streamlined user experience, something that microsoft has failed at miserably. Linux now has many windows apps on it. Utilities are inbuilt into the terminal. Tell me, is it easier to download a program and then fiddle around with it, or is it easier to type in a few words. And the move to the web and progressive web apps, UI kits and frameworks like electron etc, may finally mean that people start switching to linux. Windows was crap in it's earlier iterations, but it got better before becoming crap again. Linux is not finishhed, it will never be. But with renewed focus on the desktop, I can see why many people will switch to linux earlier than later.

21 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Tell me, is it easier to download a program and then fiddle around with it, or is it easier to type in a few words.

For the overwhelming majority of people, the first one is so much easier it's difficult to even comprehend the difference. Like trying to compare the size of an ant a a blue whale

The issue with designing something for an idiot to be able to use is that society simply breeds a superior idiot. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

1 hour ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

You are entitled to your opinion, but I think that you are wrong. Linux is not for the faint of heart. It is not meant to run everything. It is meant to provide a streamlined user experience, something that microsoft has failed at miserably. Linux now has many windows apps on it. Utilities are inbuilt into the terminal. Tell me, is it easier to download a program and then fiddle around with it, or is it easier to type in a few words. And the move to the web and progressive web apps, UI kits and frameworks like electron etc, may finally mean that people start switching to linux. Windows was crap in it's earlier iterations, but it got better before becoming crap again. Linux is not finishhed, it will never be. But with renewed focus on the desktop, I can see why many people will switch to linux earlier than later.

Lack of any kind of standardization and 300 billion distros is at the very foundation of entire Linux thing and it's exactly everything that's wrong with Linux as whole. Something that will just never work right because everyone is doing their own thing. Where what Microsoft does, it's basically a standard by default, minus smaller limitations because of backwards compatibility. They can polish Linux all they want, but until they fix this shit it'll be this weird niche for nerds that will never get past whatever usershare it has right now.

Its why I always go with Debian based distro and always go with first in line which is Ubuntu and Kubuntu. Everything else is quirky stuff with cool features, but ultimately a nightmare because of what I said in the beginning.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3733MHz CL16 | PALIT RTX 3080 10GB GamingPro | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES Edition | Altec Lansing MX5021 Nichicon/MUSES Edition

49 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Lack of any kind of standardization and 300 billion distros is at the very foundation of entire Linux thing and it's exactly everything that's wrong with Linux as whole. Something that will just never work right because everyone is doing their own thing. Where what Microsoft does, it's basically a standard by default, minus smaller limitations because of backwards compatibility. They can polish Linux all they want, but until they fix this shit it'll be this weird niche for nerds that will never get past whatever usershare it has right now.

Its why I always go with Debian based distro and always go with first in line which is Ubuntu and Kubuntu. Everything else is quirky stuff with cool features, but ultimately a nightmare because of what I said in the beginning.

We actually need a good user repository with ubuntu, to sherlock arch out of existence , or the Arch community needs to stop being assholes. PPA's are a mess. Canonical has created some absolute shit, that unfortunately gets a ton of support(PPA, Snaps etc). Next a unified binary. The OS that may come closest to this is actually Manjaro. Easy to setup and go. customizable cuz it's arch, good user repo and supports snaps, flatpaks and appimage. Manjaro is actively working on appimage integration, so that the best binary wins, and defeats snap and flatpak.

But many people will prefer the freedom of linux. 

There are some ways to go, but the above two things(along with a peace with nvidia or nouveau actually fucking working). need to be fixed. You raise many good points, and the developer community needs to listen to people like you.

1 hour ago, Yebi said:

For the overwhelming majority of people, the first one is so much easier it's difficult to even comprehend the difference. Like trying to compare the size of an ant a a blue whale

God, why are people so scared of terminals? You need admin rights to screw stuff up. People are more scared of a terminal window, than getting a fake piracy tool  show russian adware on their homescreen,

21 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

God, why are people so scared of terminals? You need admin rights to screw stuff up. People are more scared of a terminal window, than getting a fake piracy tool  show russian adware on their homescreen,

I don't think scared is the right word. People just don't care to bother.

I honestly find it surprising how tech people don't understand this, because it applies to pretty much everything. Most drivers don't know anything about cars beyond simple usage. Most fridge owners don't know anything about fridges beyond "open door, put things in". People just don't care about really knowing most of the tools they use in their daily lives, yourself included. And that's not really a bad thing

36 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

God, why are people so scared of terminals?

Why afraid from something you dont even have to use? :old-skeptical:

8 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Terminal program: 25-100KB

Native GUI program: 3-12MB

Chromium-based GUI, node.js and Python monstrosity like Electron or nw.js : 325MB

Unity-based application (non-game): 500MB

App built in C# : 350MB

Like, I really hate the application bloat in things. Some of it's unavoidable for portability reasons, but good grief the layers of cruft for a modern "html" app is just beyond ridiculous. 

Am I the only one who thinks W10 is fine?

When it came out I didn’t like it. The UI felt blegh and it had issues. But now I feel that it does everything it needs to and doesn’t get in my way too much. And isn’t that all an OS needs to do? 

That's an F in the profile pic

7 hours ago, Froody129 said:

Am I the only one who thinks W10 is fine?

When it came out I didn’t like it. The UI felt blegh and it had issues. But now I feel that it does everything it needs to and doesn’t get in my way too much. And isn’t that all an OS needs to do? 

I think it's fine too, but they can't settle. 

I know it's hard for them to stop supporting legacy apps but they should do it for a new version. They should strip down the home version for regular users and also have the pro version for companies and power users.

Another point is visual consistency and how flat windows has become. It's lazy.

5 hours ago, Parabola said:

know it's hard for them to stop supporting legacy apps but they should do it for a new version

You do know that enterprise users AKA big business (example: Ford, GM, US Government) are the ones who rely on legacy support and are probably the ones putting the most money in Microsofts pocket. On top of the fact all those games in your stream library would become useless. Thats the reason they keep legacy support. Legacy support is the only thing Windows has that makes people want to use it frankly. 

On 6/13/2021 at 10:23 PM, WolframaticAlpha said:

Linux desktop usage is up 800% since 2014(when windows 10 launched).

800% of 0 is still 0 /s

yeet!

I think that Windows 10 will the last version of Windows, and they will give it a new name. I think that just like with .net they are unifying the code base, so that the same OS will be running on x86, ARM, XBOX, maybe even servers. Maybe they will call it "OS series X" with some sort of hybrid kernel that can run both Windows and Linux stuff.

18 minutes ago, SlimyPython said:

800% of 0 is still 0 /s

I use Linux. Its on a server but I have used it as a desktop OS before. ITs pretty decent for most tasks. Gaming is the reason I went back to Windows. Linux is even gaining more traction there. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

I use Linux. Its on a server but I have used it as a desktop OS before. ITs pretty decent for most tasks. Gaming is the reason I went back to Windows. Linux is even gaining more traction there. 

yeah i know hence the /s (Argualy /j wouldve been a better option) I was thinking about learning linux for minecraft because holy shit the frame rate boost

yeet!

On 6/13/2021 at 8:08 PM, WolframaticAlpha said:

I am not scared of the terminal, but I very much prefer not using it as it's more user friendly to use GUI.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

4 minutes ago, Mihle said:

I am not scared of the terminal, but I very much prefer not using it as it's more user friendly to use GUI.

do you care about eye candy, or efficiency?

3 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

do you care about eye candy, or efficiency?

Neither, I care that it's easy/user friendly.

And that it does what I want it to do ofc.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 

-Stephen Hawking

2 minutes ago, Mihle said:

Neither, I care that it's easy/user friendly.

And that it does what I want it to do ofc.

well, I prefer being fast and precise. Different people have different needs. Use whatever you like

Just now, WolframaticAlpha said:

well, I prefer being fast and precise. Different people have different needs. Use whatever you like

I am also a person that have ha hard time learning any keyboard shortcuts that isnt used a ton btw.

Not all, but from what I have seen, some of the things that terminal pros use the terminal for isn't actually faster than not using it.

For example on Windows, having a folder with many files where you want to change a part of all file names with something else, let's say it's images where all is called Italy [Number] and you want to change it to Rome without changing number.

Doing that in terminal is not any faster, maybe even slower unless you have lightning keyboard fingers, on Windows than using PowerRename (part of PowerToys from Microsoft), and PowerRename is much easier.

And btw, I did copy paste a command from internet in the terminal before I knew PowerRename existed, but now I don't.

-Stephen Hawking