Windows 10 consumer editions to reach End of Life in 2025

Djole123

They'll switch to just "OS" and try to copy write that name like they tried to copy write the word "windows".

It’s all fun and games until the kids get out of school and want chrome OS in the workplace lol 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

It’s all fun and games until the kids get out of school and want chrome OS in the workplace lol 

Considering how so many things can be done in a browser these days, it wouldn't be that bad and could save businesses a lot of money since machines wouldn't need to be extra powerful and the IT admin would mostly only need to work on the "cloud" server.

Heck, this exist to replace the mastodon that is photoshop :
https://www.photopea.com
And actually works through your own PC, it doesn't upload anything. (I tried with a very large picture and it showed on screen in less than a second, impossible with my upload speed)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Will I be able to use my windows 7 OEM key to activate whatever windows comes after this just like I did with 10?

On 6/10/2021 at 11:40 PM, Djole123 said:

Screenshot-4.png?fit=1366%2C768&ssl=1

Summary

Microsoft published informtation about Windows 10 consumer edition lifecycles, and the retirement date was set for October 2025, fueling rumors about the next release of Windows.

Quotes

My thoughts

Short news - but very sweet. This could have big implications on the whole Windows as a Service policy. Microsoft did say that Windows 10 is set to be "the last version of Windows", but it seems like, either because of the pressure from OEMs, or the sheer confusion about what Windows 10 is (remember, there are now TWELVE different releases of Windows 10, from 1507 to 21H2), they had to change things in some way. It's very interesting to see how this plays out in the future.

Sources

https://betanews.com/2021/06/10/windows-10-retires-2025/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-home-and-pro

Windows 10 won't die loved, like 7 or XP. It will die an unloved death. 

May you die a slow and painful death, you ugly hack of an OS. 

25 minutes ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

What if they go the macOS route and name it Windows 10.11, 10.12 and so on.

Wonder if Apple will like that even though thats an old naming scheme,

On 6/10/2021 at 2:38 PM, TVwazhere said:

Windows 10.5 HD Final Mix Chain of Memories Birth By Sleep Dream Drop Distance

Windows X: Endwalker

Windows Linus Edition.  All updates are called drops.  

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

On 6/11/2021 at 3:44 AM, Doobeedoo said:

Possible just a Windows branding without numericals.

This.

Or rather more in line with "MacOS", and "FreeBSD" and similar where the version number is no longer a meaningful thing. Along comes a OS update, and everything just works (within reason.)

Windows and Linux are unfortunately very "reinstall the OS from scratch to update", which results in a lot of tinkering, complaining and that's just not user friendly and doesn't retain users to those OS's.

Windows at least seems to work, though the vast majority of broken programs is due to Microsoft removing/depreciation functionality (go ahead, try to run a Win32s, Win95 (8-bit color) or a program that has MIDI music in it on Windows 10.) It's a huge pain, and requires overly complex levels of tinkering by using third party software to emulate legacy DX API's which makes it no different than WINE.

Perhaps what Microsoft should be doing, and justifying with this next OS, is dropping 32-bit support. Only supporting x86-64 or AARCH64 (ARMv8.x). If 32-bit or 16-bit intel software is attempted to be run, then dynamically recompile it to 64-bit (eg Rosetta2 style) on the native 64-bit cpu, rather than provide an entire extra OS-inside-an-OS.

But that may also just be asking too much. 

On 6/11/2021 at 10:30 AM, Stahlmann said:

If the current Windows is planned to be the last, they could just call it "Windows". No 11, 20, X, etc.

They can still update it for new features afterwards. But i don't see a reason to still use some sort of numbers or other stuff.

Given we're hearing about subscription service for a while now, using just "Windows" makes sense. But I'm not very fond of the idea of it being a service. Primary software aka OS should never be a subscription based service because everything else depends on it. Imagine your card declines for whatever reason and you can't use it the same anymore. That's just stupid. It would never just stop working entirely, but it would go into highly limited mode and that would still be dumb scenario.

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Given we're hearing about subscription service for a while now, using just "Windows" makes sense. But I'm not very fond of the idea of it being a service. Primary software aka OS should never be a subscription based service because everything else depends on it. Imagine your card declines for whatever reason and you can't use it the same anymore. That's just stupid. It would never just stop working entirely, but it would go into highly limited mode and that would still be dumb scenario.

Charging people for a subscription would mean trading a fair chunk of their userbase (who will not agree to these terms and use another OS) and considering their aggressive push with Windows 10, that would be the opposite of what they want. Microsoft has always shown their desire for their software to have the biggest market share possible (and having flops in the process). Going for the subscription service would undo all their efforts. But hey who knows its Micro$oft.

35 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

Charging people for a subscription would mean trading a fair chunk of their userbase (who will not agree to these terms and use another OS) and considering their aggressive push with Windows 10, that would be the opposite of what they want. Microsoft has always shown their desire for their software to have the biggest market share possible (and having flops in the process). Going for the subscription service would undo all their efforts. But hey who knows its Micro$oft.

Unless they are hoping to hook as many people as possible on Windows and then go subscription route. The more you have them, even if some don't agree with new model, there would still be huge number of users who will just say "well, what am I suppose to use then" and subscribe to it. Whoever expects Linux to magically boom from that is just too optimistic. People said that will happen on every dramatic change of Windows yet it never actually happened. Not with Vista, not with Win8 massive tiles and not with Windows 10.

10 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Unless they are hoping to hook as many people as possible on Windows and then go subscription route. The more you have them, even if some don't agree with new model, there would still be huge number of users who will just say "well, what am I suppose to use then" and subscribe to it. Whoever expects Linux to magically boom from that is just too optimistic. People said that will happen on every dramatic change of Windows yet it never actually happened. Not with Vista, not with Win8 massive tiles and not with Windows 10.

Now when I think about it the revenue from the subscription model could offset Microsoft's plan to reduce cuts from the Store

https://i.redd.it/8uwajfc7r2w11.jpg

2 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

Now when I think about it the revenue from the subscription model could offset Microsoft's plan to reduce cuts from the Store

https://i.redd.it/8uwajfc7r2w11.jpg

And how they are pushing online accounts over offline accounts. It's all starting to get together isn't it?

On 6/12/2021 at 2:58 AM, Vanderburg said:

This makes perfectly good sense, when you know how it works. The first two digits are the year, the second two are the month. For the last two, the year works the same way, but it's now "Half 1" or "Half 2"

I would like the cool quirky names. 8 and 10 is boring. Give me my vista and XP names!

32 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Linux desktop usage is up 800% since 2014(when windows 10 launched). We have seen massive spikes whenever windows updates are pushed. We can safely say that these are new installs with most of them actually being multiboots, with windows 10 being the most prevalent system(92.1% according to ubuntu's osprober)

2 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Linux desktop usage is up 800% since 2014(when windows 10 launched)

And how is Windows usage since then? Coz that's kinda relevant info as Windows isn't just stagnating and Linux is eating into its market share. Reason why more users use Linux is because it's less shit than it was. But in all honesty, fiddling with it since Knoppix and Slax day and it's still pretty bad even today. A lot better, but it's still terrible OS to work with. It's only good if you experience absolutely zero issues with anything. As soon as you do it's nightmarish combing through console commands and fiddling with kernels and shit. Do not want ever again.

On 6/10/2021 at 2:22 PM, LWM723 said:

Finally there getting rid of the crap

Naw. Windows 11 will be Windows 10 with some UI changes. Watching Tech Talk with Barnacules. He speculated that Microsoft will just do some UI changes and call it Windows 11. He speculated they are copying Apple with their Mac OS 11 (Big Sur). I mean considering Apple used to have MacOS 10, and then Microsoft released Windows 10. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

Naw. Windows 11 will be Windows 10 with some UI changes. Watching Tech Talk with Barnacules. He speculated that Microsoft will just do some UI changes and call it Windows 11. He speculated they are copying Apple with their Mac OS 11 (Big Sur). I mean considering Apple used to have MacOS 10, and then Microsoft released Windows 10. 

They are definitely playing catch up with MacOS, its UI is just beautiful.

Just now, Murasaki said:

They are definitely playing catch up with MacOS, its UI is just beautiful.

Big Sur was a big improvement compared to Catalina in terms of lack of bugs. I like MacOS a lot. It has a nice UI and decent features. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I mean considering Apple used to have MacOS 10

Slight nitpick, it's actually Mac OS X. The 10 was just in the version numbers, like 10.0, 10.6, 10.14, etc.
Snow Leopard's full name was Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. They dropped the X and made it macOS (like iOS and others) around when they stopped doing cat names and starting doing places, so Catalina would have been macOS 10.15 Catalina.

I do agree that MS is just playing catch-up to Apple, but remember, Apple's releasing macOS 12 Monterey sometime soonishTM. Will they stick with numbers, or will they give it a name instead?

Windows Marvell for example.

elephants

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

Will they stick with numbers, or will they give it a name instead?

Windows Marvell for example.

They've been hinting at 11 but im really hoping its just Microsoft trolling us.

Windows 11 could be just 10 with some tweaks or just a case of rebranding (e.g. just call it Windows and have numbers after that for big updates like MacOS). It could (hopefully) be a completely redesigned OS as well.

Whatever it is, let's just hope it's less of a resource hog and less buggy than win 10.

Win 10 started out as a slim and generally nice OS but has become cluttered and disorganized at this point, consuming a lot more resources than it used to.

2 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

will they give it a name instead?

Hard to say. I wouldn't be surprised if they start changing version numbers as often Apple does. 

Im more curious what changes they plan on making with the new Windows. Like I said I think it will just be UI changes. But I wonder if they will also copy Apple in the regard.