Windows 10 consumer editions to reach End of Life in 2025

Djole123
7 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Or maybe MS will pull a dick move and call it Windows 20.

I can see the slogan. "Windows 20/20 where past failures are all hindsight"

11? What happened to 11??

Windows 42, the answer to all your OS woes!

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

8 hours ago, Dedayog said:

Yep, all sorts of news out about Windows 11 and speculation as to what it means for Win 10.  We shall see.  I hope it means an improvement as a whole, and not a step backward like some were.

What are you smoking? this is MS

8 hours ago, LWM723 said:

Finally there getting rid of the crap OS. Hope the new one's better. Apparently, MS never officially said that win 10 is the last version, it was said unofficially by a staff member.

We all know that it won't be better. Microsoft has consistently had alternating between decent os to crap os for a long time. You got windows xp which was good. Then you got windows Vista which was awful. Then you have windows 7 which is good. Then you have windows 8 that nobody asked for. Then you have windows 10 which is better than 8 at least. 

Probably will still be windows 10, but like window 10X or something. It will just be a distinctive update rather than a new OS, sorta like the jump from window 8 to 8.1

8 hours ago, Murasaki said:

inb4 Windows 10.1

I hope im not right lol

• Windows 10.1 Starter (OEM)
  • Windows 10.1 Home Basic ($130)
  • Windows 10.1 Home Premium ($200)
  • Windows 10.1 Business ($250)
  • Windows 10.1 Enterprise (OEM)
  • Windows 10.1 Ultimate ($350)

Oh wait that’s Windows Vista :old-tongue:

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Oh god, please be Windows 10 Second Edition.  Please, please, please!

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

Come-on skinned commercially licensed partially open source Linux based distro!

3 hours ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

Oh god, please be Windows 10 Second Edition.  Please, please, please!

Your post deserves to be pinned!

10 hours ago, StDragon said:

Or maybe MS will pull a dick move and call it Windows 20.

I can see the slogan. "Windows 20/20 where past failures are all hindsight"

11? What happened to 11??

The Nvidia play book

I can see them ditching the Windows 10 name for sure. I don't know if I am sold on them going back to a "normal" release cycle with major upgrades every few years since that is just outdated to me.

If the current Windows is planned to be the last, they could just call it "Windows". No 11, 20, X, etc.

They can still update it for new features afterwards. But i don't see a reason to still use some sort of numbers or other stuff.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

6 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

If the current Windows is planned to be the last, they could just call it "Windows". No 11, 20, X, etc.

They can still update it for new features afterwards. But i don't see a reason to still use some sort of numbers or other stuff.

They could also switch to a Year-based naming system. That is, we're getting Windows 2022, Windows 2024 et al from now on.

Possible just a Windows branding without numericals.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Personally i'd like to see an compromised OS only version of Windows in the next release, just an OS, nothing more, no services, aps, bloat, cortana, no telemetry, etc etc. Just an OS.

However thats a fairytale, what i expect to see is a further revision of 'OS as a service', possibly some kind of further constant connectivity to MS servers enable full OS function, this ofc would come with even more telemetry.

Ofc I expect a 'special' version of this 'OS as a service' for Businesses and specialized equipment that cant be connected to a online network, but this will be purposefully obfuscated from the public to ensure people stick to the 'OS as a service' version. Somewhat like 'LTSC' vs 'Home'.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

4 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

However thats a fairytale, what i expect to see is a further revision of 'OS as a service', possibly some kind of further constant connectivity to MS servers enable full OS function, this ofc would come with even more telemetry.

I could see them doing this with Windows server or workstation editions where the license is purchased and provisioned from the cloud. All features and components are their own license via micro transactions. Basically you build your own OS à la carte style based on what you need.

22 hours ago, Vanderburg said:

I miss uxtheme.dll patching. Microsoft, make theming easier in the next version!

You can still do this, have done my home pc and work pc in the last couple of weeks even on insider dev channel the hc theme patcher still works and there’s a lot of themes in deviantart 

Why doesn't Linus make a video about this!

17 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

We all know that it won't be better. Microsoft has consistently had alternating between decent os to crap os for a long time. You got windows xp which was good. Then you got windows Vista which was awful. Then you have windows 7 which is good. Then you have windows 8 that nobody asked for. Then you have windows 10 which is better than 8 at least. 

by that logic, since 10 is disaster on so many levels, "11" gonna be super dooper awesome, also xp and vista both were good, i had zero issues with both and used my vista pc until 2018 and it still didnt feel slow… the cheapo asus mobo died though so i couldnt really use it anymore. 😕

Now i have way better hardware but kinda a lot shittier os, kind of a weird tradeoff.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

So we are not sure if it's a new version or just a rename currently?

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

You guys are completely missing the obvious

By killing off Windows 10 consumer editions in 4 years, this will finally give Linux a chance to catch up.

In the Year 2025, it will be finally the Year of the Desktop Linux!

(/h in case it wasn't obvious)

Win10 blows goats.

All versions. Full Stop. 

It's needed, but it's terrible.

Windows 9 is where the Windows train ends for me.

https://www.eastcoast.hosting/Windows9/

Its everything Windows 10 should have been. 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

28 minutes ago, oJIMoBOBo said:

You can still do this, have done my home pc and work pc in the last couple of weeks even on insider dev channel the hc theme patcher still works and there’s a lot of themes in deviantart 

Yeah, but it's really jank. Remember how awesome it was on XP?

50 minutes ago, duncannah said:

They really need a good versioning scheme too.

image.png.d7100a4bab7fbbabbbb9575c99fbbda9.png

This makes perfectly good sense, when you know how it works. The first two digits are the year, the second two are the month. For the last two, the year works the same way, but it's now "Half 1" or "Half 2"