Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Good portable speaker w/wired input?

I wondered if anyone can recommend a good "Bluetooth" speaker that also has a wired input

I do not use a cell phone, so I wanted one that I could connect an mp3 player to

It's in moments like this that I think of my father's last words, which were: "Don't son, that gun is loaded!"

Are you looking for a small device that's super portable?

Or something bigger with more oomph?  

14 hours ago, tkitch said:

Yep, most relevant questions indeed! I myself was looking for a nice portable speaker that sounds decent enough to me for when I go traveling overseas (obviously, this was a while back), so I got myself a JBL Flip 3. It sounded decent enough, got loud enough, though when I pushed it even further, it'd sound harsh, music lost some of its cohesion and bass got kinda 'cracked' as the driver couldn't handle it.

Back in 2019, I was in Toronto and got to the Bose factory outlet outside the city, I made an impulse buy of the Bose Soundlink Mini II LE and I haven't looked back. It has a more balanced and refined sound compared to the Flip 3 (which, I must emphasize was cheaper by a fair bit) and though I push it quite loud when I was testing it, bass still sounded good and wasn't 'cracking' like the Flip 3.

Now, IF OP wants a portable speaker that packs more 'oomph' than that, I guess he'll have to wait for suggestions/opinions from others. Just opining my impressions of the two portable speakers I have. 

Rig 1: AMD AM4 R9 3900X (12C/24T) | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 8GB Patriot Viper RGB 3600CL17 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 (OS) | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SSD + 2x 1TB Samsung 850 EVO + 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Leopold FC660C + Logitech G703 | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | LG SL8YG soundbar | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | 64bit Win10 Pro

Rig 2: Intel i7 3960X (6C/12T) | Asus R4E | 16GB Corsair Dom Plat 2133mhz | PowerColor RX VEGA 64 Red Devil | iOppo HA-1 | Philips HTL9100 soundbar | Caselabs M8 | Seasonic X-1250 | Mistel Barocco MD770 RGB + Logitech G502 | Samsung Acer XR341CK 21:9 75Hz Freesync | 64bit Win10 Pro

HTPC Rig: Intel i7 4770K (4C/8T) | MSI Z87 G45 Gaming | 16GB RipJawsZ 1600mhz | Leadtek GTX 1080 Hurricane OC | Tt View 31 | Corsair HX-1050 | Logitech G613 + G603 | Panasonic 65" UHD TV | 64bit Win10 Pro

16 hours ago, tkitch said:

Portable, but strong and loud, like the JBL Boombox or UB Boom

It's in moments like this that I think of my father's last words, which were: "Don't son, that gun is loaded!"

1 hour ago, GamerDude said:

Yep, most relevant questions indeed! I myself was looking for a nice portable speaker that sounds decent enough to me for when I go traveling overseas (obviously, this was a while back), so I got myself a JBL Flip 3. It sounded decent enough, got loud enough, though when I pushed it even further, it'd sound harsh, music lost some of its cohesion and bass got kinda 'cracked' as the driver couldn't handle it.

Back in 2019, I was in Toronto and got to the Bose factory outlet outside the city, I made an impulse buy of the Bose Soundlink Mini II LE and I haven't looked back. It has a more balanced and refined sound compared to the Flip 3 (which, I must emphasize was cheaper by a fair bit) and though I push it quite loud when I was testing it, bass still sounded good and wasn't 'cracking' like the Flip 3.

Now, IF OP wants a portable speaker that packs more 'oomph' than that, I guess he'll have to wait for suggestions/opinions from others. Just opining my impressions of the two portable speakers I have. 

Thanks for this, but my top priority is the wired input, then power and quality, then bass

1 hour ago, Roanan said:

Thanks for this, but my top priority is the wired input, then power and quality, then bass

Oh, I'd forgotten to mention that both have 3.5mm ports as well, so wired is possible with them. As for power, we may have varying viewpoints as to how to quantify power though, for me, they do get loud enough.

Rig 1: AMD AM4 R9 3900X (12C/24T) | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 8GB Patriot Viper RGB 3600CL17 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 (OS) | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SSD + 2x 1TB Samsung 850 EVO + 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Leopold FC660C + Logitech G703 | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | LG SL8YG soundbar | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | 64bit Win10 Pro

Rig 2: Intel i7 3960X (6C/12T) | Asus R4E | 16GB Corsair Dom Plat 2133mhz | PowerColor RX VEGA 64 Red Devil | iOppo HA-1 | Philips HTL9100 soundbar | Caselabs M8 | Seasonic X-1250 | Mistel Barocco MD770 RGB + Logitech G502 | Samsung Acer XR341CK 21:9 75Hz Freesync | 64bit Win10 Pro

HTPC Rig: Intel i7 4770K (4C/8T) | MSI Z87 G45 Gaming | 16GB RipJawsZ 1600mhz | Leadtek GTX 1080 Hurricane OC | Tt View 31 | Corsair HX-1050 | Logitech G613 + G603 | Panasonic 65" UHD TV | 64bit Win10 Pro

Sony XB43

Has AUX input

Bluetooth 5.0, SBC, AAC (best codec on Apple devices), LDAC (best codec on Android devices)

NFC pairing

Built in mic for phone calls

No Alexa/Google nonsense

Has a mobile app (Apple/Android) to tweak EQ, lighting and power settings

IP67, water proof, dust proof, rust proof

24hr advertised run time

USB-C charging

Can charge your phone

If want something smaller/cheaper, the XB33

If XB33 still too big or expensive, get the XB23.

XB23 has advertised 12hr runtime and cannot charge your phone.

All of them are IP67 rugged, water proof and rust proof. All have AUX input and support the same Bluetooth codecs

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

I was going to suggest the Sonos Roam, but the lack of a wired input is one of its few drawbacks. Sony should be a solid option unless you want voice assistant support.